Breathe is a better opener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh and as for the actual topic, lol.

btw, the long pause in between has to be intentional because don't they all play the exact same instruments for both ROTS/BD? What is the hold up for?

The pause is so Larry can give Bono a round of applause and vice versa

Are they still doing that little applause thingy to each other?

I thought they'd only done that at the opening show in Torino, a "welcome back, you magnificent bastard" kind of special thing. :wink:

I'm afraid I can disprove that. I'd complain extensively. I think Streets would be a HORRIFICALLY bad choice to open the show. I want it exactly where it is- end of the main set/ first encore. Streets is the climax of the concert, the point EVERYTHING builds up to and windows down from. And it's almost impossible to follow up. (Notice that there's usually only 1-2 songs after it before a break if any and when there is, it's a massive song like Pride or One) If you open with Streets, there's nothing to build up to and the rest of the concert is an anticlimax!

...So I'll be that one guy protesting if they do! :p

So I guess most of the Joshua Tree tour shows and some of the Lovetown shows just died after the opening song and reached their emotional climax immediately???!!! Hell, I I guess some Lovetown shows never even got there as Streets wasn't played at some of them..... :crazy: :wink:

Opening with Streets would work. It did in the past and nothing would change that. Its sort of an iconic intro for most fans. I guess that would the up side and down side. It would be cool to experience for a lot of fans but U2 risks becoming a nostalgia band like the Stones by doing it (some may think they already are though! ;) ).

I actually think Streets would make a great closing song also (as in the last song played). So I agree to a degree. But as others have pointed out it would not destroy the encore at all. Hell, for the Vertigo tour Bono did not even want to play Streets. They decided to put it in right before the Vancouver rehearsals when Bono came up with the flags idea. While I think that it should be played always the band doesn't necessarily think its as essential as a lot of the fans and I don't think they would have considered dropping it if they felt it was the climax of an entire show. I say this and Streets is my favorite song (not just U2 song) of all time. :shrug:

It was at Torino - are they still doing that little applause thingy? I didn't notice it in the Paris footage.

I'm not sure? I kinda worked at Turin and I could understand the sentiment behind it. I don't remember seeing it in Athens and in Istanbul I was still 2miles down the road:lol: A lot of the YT footage doesn't make it any clearer. Cathal will know I guess?

(Kevin snuck in there - this comment is in response to BlueRoom.)

Yeah, but haven't they also said that when they play it live, it's that whole "god walking through the room" thing? That sounds like the equivalent of considering it an (if not THE) emotional high point.

I'm sure it didn't start that way, as a new or newer song on JT and Lovetown. I guess it just grew into becoming such a big highlight over the years.

Why did Bono not want to play it on Vertigo? Who knows. Maybe we should chalk it up to temporary insanity. :wink:

So I guess most of the Joshua Tree tour shows and some of the Lovetown shows just died after the opening song and reached their emotional climax immediately???!!! Hell, I I guess some Lovetown shows never even got there as Streets wasn't played at some of them..... :crazy: :wink:

To be fair Streets wasn't quite the anthem it is now, back then

To be fair Streets wasn't quite the anthem it is now, back then

As someone that attended a Joshua Tree show where it was the opener I would respectfully disagree. The crowd went bonkers when the opening organ started and from all footage I have seen it was the same for all shows. When the Streets video came out everyone (at least most) knew that song. The Joshua Tree was a huge album, 1987 was a huge year for them, thus the singles from JT were big time almost immediately upon release.

It certainly was an anthem by Lovetown, it opened several of those shows also. :shrug: :wink:

Well sure, it was the opening song - they'd BETTER be going bonkers! :wink:

My comment was more about while sure, it got a huge response, it wasn't always the "emotional high point" of the shows. Again, that's just an assumption on my part, having not seen those shows. Streets has always been a big U2 song live, but I'd guess that it didn't become the whole "god walks through the room" thing until later.

Man, this really is a silly argument to be having, isn't it? :lol: Damn these slow days at work.

(Kevin snuck in there - this comment is in response to BlueRoom.)

Yeah, but haven't they also said that when they play it live, it's that whole "god walking through the room" thing? That sounds like the equivalent of considering it an (if not THE) emotional high point.

I'm sure it didn't start that way, as a new or newer song on JT and Lovetown. I guess it just grew into becoming such a big highlight over the years.

Why did Bono not want to play it on Vertigo? Who knows. Maybe we should chalk it up to temporary insanity. :wink:

I think I responded to part of your post in my response to Kevin, so I wont repeat that part.

Like I said, it should always be played IMO. Even the Vertigo version (which I think was the worst they have done, needs to have the red background intro, not flags) was worth doing. I think the band enjoys it and it always gets a great crowd reaction. I also think its placement in the 360 setlist works. But I also think it wouldn't really matter as long as its played. Its one of those songs that just works live, period. :shrug:

I think it was Bono or Edge that said in an interview that there is no song that HAS to be played. However, I think I have read from maybe Adam that they would always play Streets. :shrug: I also remember when Bono declared SBS would never be played again. That lasted a whole 5 years! :lol:

As someone that attended a Joshua Tree show where it was the opener I would respectfully disagree. The crowd went bonkers when the opening organ started and from all footage I have seen it was the same for all shows. When the Streets video came out everyone (at least most) knew that song. The Joshua Tree was a huge album, 1987 was a huge year for them, thus the singles from JT were big time almost immediately upon release.

It certainly was an anthem by Lovetown, it opened several of those shows also. :shrug: :wink:

Opening song of course they are going to go bonkers:wink:

I saw 3 JT shows, one at which it wasn't even played, one where it opened and one with possibly the best intro of all the shows i have seen and it wasn't Streets!

Well sure, it was the opening song - they'd BETTER be going bonkers! :wink:

My comment was more about while sure, it got a huge response, it wasn't always the "emotional high point" of the shows. Again, that's just an assumption on my part, having not seen those shows. Streets has always been a big U2 song live, but I'd guess that it didn't become the whole "god walks through the room" thing until later.

Haha we crossed again! Coriander is spot on here:up:
IWF also gets the crowd bonkers. Emotional high point no.

I responded but it got deleted before I hit save. :reject:

Basically, Streets works live period regardless of where it is in the setlist IMO. Its my favorite song and I honestly don't think its the only and most important climax of a U2 show. I agree its always "one" of the highlights of any show its played at.

:lol: this is a little silly. I guess back to the topic of the thread, we have strayed a tad from it.

I've given this some more thought.

Yes, Streets is AN emotional high point of the show, but is it THE emotional high point? Will the show be ruined if they open with it? Imo, no. Honestly, it being an emotional high point isn't a great argument for not opening with it. I almost get the sense that some are saying that if it was played right off the bat people wouldn't be ready (bullshit), there would be no build up to it (again, bullshit, as there is a huge buildup to the opening of any U2 show) or that somehow the show has nowhere else to go but downhill because they already played out their ace card - and that too, I think, is bullshit. There are plenty of places to go with the show besides waiting 20 songs for Streets and there are other U2 songs that move people emotionally just as well (if not even better?).

I'm actually surprised that people wouldn't want Streets to open. It would move Streets out of (the quite legitimate, imo) "message territory" ie the song for song buildup to the Africa theme (again, nothing wrong with it) and back into it's original "Hello, we're back, jump up and down cause we're here to melt your faces" territory. As an opener it becomes perhaps a lil bit less dramatic in terms of message, but that's about it.

I don't buy this emotional high point argument at all, sorry. There will be no appreciable detriment to the energy or emotion of the show if they lead off with Streets. In fact, it might be just what this tour needs. Especially if they pulled out some other truly great 80s early 90s tracks. :up:

I'm laughing at myself right now, and editing what I just wrote, because I can't believe I'm still discussing/arguing about this. :lol:

Anyway.

I'm sure opening with Streets would go over like gangbusters. I'm sure I'd even dig it.

butistillthinkitstheemotionalhighpointoftheshow

*runs away*

:wink:

PS: Gabe, what other songs do you think move the crowd as much as Streets? Sure, everyone has the songs that mean the most to them personally, but what other U2 song gets the crowd as pumped up and excited as Streets? Elevation has people jumping, okay. WOWY has people singing along at the top of their lungs at the end. What other song has the crowd as united in joy and excitement as Streets?

PPS: Fuck, I'm still talking about it. :lol:

Streets works best where it is now, ie towards the end of main set. Not opening or closing.

I personally think Space Oddity > Soon (with the original clock footage whatever + lights going off) > Return Of The Stingray Guitar > [insert preferred song here]. Soon brought a lot of anticipation, in my opinion. Breathe was just blehh. Good song but not a good opener.

PS: Gabe, what other songs do you think move the crowd as much as Streets? Sure, everyone has the songs that mean the most to them personally, but what other U2 song gets the crowd as pumped up and excited as Streets? Elevation has people jumping, okay. WOWY has people singing along at the top of their lungs at the end. What other song has the crowd as united in joy and excitement as Streets?

PPS: Fuck, I'm still talking about it. :lol:

:wink:

Pride definitely comes to mind, and can be used at the end of the main set.

Interesting that you said 'pumped up and excited as Streets' - so why exactly would they do that at the end of the set, rather than the beginning? I mean, if it's all about the unity of joy and excitement, let's get THAT party started right off the bat! ;) (I know there's more to it than that, but just going on that thought for a sec) That has actually always bugged me a bit about it closing the set on this tour, and thinking about it some more, I'm not so sure Streets as the very last song would be a great idea either. After Streets I'm, like, HYPED YO! :lol: Pride seems a better closer in terms of emotional buildup/message.

I've been vocal about how tired I am of hearing Pride, but understand that most of the people there love it and want to hear it.

When they played it at the first Chicago show last fall, it was very strange - from what I could see, both around me in the seats and on the field, it had the worst reaction I'd ever seen it have. No one seemed to be into it! I think at least one other person around here who was at that show had noticed it from wherever they were sitting as well.

So I can't get behind that idea. :wink:

Maybe I'm just personally biased because I feel so much joy during Streets, but even at the Vertigo shows I saw, I'd say the crowd was vastly more energized by Streets than by Pride. Yeah, everyone knows it, and everyone is usually still into it, singing along, but there's just something about Streets, you know?

I wouldn't mind it closing a show, because - and I've said this before - I love the shows that end on the high note with a rocker. (Is Bad a rocker? Because shows that end with Bad would be killer, too.) I am not among the throngs of U2 fans wishing they'd start closing with 40 again. Meh. :reject:

Anyway. I'd love Streets no matter where it was.

sbm!

Looks kinda cheesy now of course, but pre-internet what a fantastic surprise to the crowd, walking on in front of 80,000 at wembley stadium singing to a backing track when they were expecting streets. The crowd really did go bonkers! I remember moving sideways across the pitch for what seemed ages and not actually touching the floor:lol:

I will admit that if they were to do that sort of thing these days, I'd probably be one of the people saying ".... why are they opening with a cover song?" :lol:

And then Interference would dissolve into a barrage of arguments over whether or not it was the true opening song or not.

I guess that's where we differ then...I mean, in general bands don't end on rockers..neither do DJs..so on that count Pride works just fine. I think the way U2's been performing Pride may be partly to blame for the indifferent attitude towards Pride. Much as we might be sick of it, though, it does remain one of U2's most well-known and well-loved hits..and there are so many of those songs of U2's that lead into it well (ie with a crowd sing along or whatever...All I Want Is You with the All You Need Is Love snippet is a great example)

We're in agreement on the immortal place of Streets, the joy, the energy, the emotion, all that good stuff. I'm saying: that needs to start the show and get things started off on the proper foot. Just from the European videos, it seems that they are sometimes struggling to win the crowd, so I think if they're going to experiment they can do it with Streets and hit people hard from the get go. Again though, I only feel that way because I feel they lack a solid tune off NLOTH to do that. Maybe the sped up Magnificent? Maybe? GOYB *maybe*? Iunno.

(Psst it's Stand By Me. Took me a few seconds, too!)

Hey, the way they've been throwing curveballs into this leg, it wouldn't surprise me if they did do something out of left field like that (opening with Streets).

I don't think they will, mind you - just that it wouldn't surprise me. :wink:

Yes Breathe is a better opener (clearly!). I much prefer it to Stingray>Beautiful Day. Screw what anyone says about Space Oddity>Soon>Breathe being a shit opener! That really fucking sent chills up my spine!:rockon: Maybe they'll consider opening with Breathe again or could try opening with (would be a longshot but what the hell) Gloria. Although the title track would make a pretty kickass opening song. If they'd ever try Zooropa in their life it'd make one killer opener. There U2, try some of those.

And then Interference would dissolve into a barrage of arguments over whether or not it was the true opening song or not.

:lol:

Anyhow why the need to have a definitive opener? I say start with stingray into IWF,Boots,NYD,start a show with Streets and no Stingray,heck come on singing space oddity

Back
Top Bottom