Breathe is a better opener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was reported that they were intending to open Glastonbury with Streets.

And I know why stadium lights go off in stages - safety (you can't plunge 80-100K people in various stages of sitting/standing/making their way to seats in sometimes quite steep stands etc into immediate darkness - the likely loss of beer alone would be an epic tragedy), and also just the fact that, obviously, the lighting system is far more complicated in a stadium vs arena.

Magnificent is a bit of a clunker, but given that sort of dramatic push, might be enough to cover for that. But yes, it should be sped up. It is naturally (on record) a really slow song though. Something about the Eno effects behind it kind of give it a false sense of energy, when it's actually really, really sluggish.

The truth is, there's no stand out opener on No Line. The title track is great, but it too massively lacks the impact or punch of previous openers.

Honestly, at this point given the general public's reception of the album and then on fan forums the fairly diverse range of opinions on which song of that album would be best to open, can you imagine what would happen if they just shelved Stingray and opened with Streets? First off, the entire stadium would likely blow up, and secondly noone - I mean, noone, anywhere - would complain. It would be the surprise of all surprises in terms of what U2 could possibly pull out of their hats to lift off a show. Holy crap the more I think about it I just get crazy and want to make a sign!

DEAR U2: OPEN WITH STREETS. JUST ONCE*. GIVE IT A TRY

*so long as that once is either Montreal or Toronto.

:lol:

IMFO Streets is hands down the best opener U2 has ever done, with IWF as the second song.

Holy shit! If they can use Beautiful Day as an opener...why not Streets?! Holy shit that would be simply out of this world...just incredible, especially with the huge red screens and the flashing lights going off all over the stadium leading into the crowd wash...ah man!!!

:up: Agreed, I suggested this very thing during the Torino rehearsals when it appeared they were using Beautiful Day.

I think U2 should really shake things up and not even have an opener.

They should just start in the middle, have no beginning and no end...

Yeah, wrap your head around that.:wink:

Can't believe no one has mentioned Fez/Being Born :hmm:

Especially maybe doing Fez into Boots. Hell, SUC would even work too. Breathe just didn't work because of the "waltz" type beat and I do enjoy Sting Ray, its just the pause before BD.

Major Tom (Lights go down)
Extended Fez/Let Me In The Sound
Boots

secondly noone - I mean, noone, anywhere - would complain.

I'm afraid I can disprove that. I'd complain extensively. I think Streets would be a HORRIFICALLY bad choice to open the show. I want it exactly where it is- end of the main set/ first encore. Streets is the climax of the concert, the point EVERYTHING builds up to and windows down from. And it's almost impossible to follow up. (Notice that there's usually only 1-2 songs after it before a break if any and when there is, it's a massive song like Pride or One) If you open with Streets, there's nothing to build up to and the rest of the concert is an anticlimax!

...So I'll be that one guy protesting if they do! :p

Can't believe no one has mentioned Fez/Being Born :hmm:

Especially maybe doing Fez into Boots. Hell, SUC would even work too. Breathe just didn't work because of the "waltz" type beat and I do enjoy Sting Ray, its just the pause before BD.

Major Tom (Lights go down)
Extended Fez/Let Me In The Sound
Boots

Fez into Boots, sure, but let's face it noone really likes Boots. I think this is kindof U2's fault. They could have tried to sell the world on GOYB a bit better by making it the singular opener for the entire tour. I think it would have finally taken ahold, if rather late as compared to say Vertigo on the Vertigo tour.

I really actually wonder why they didn't go that route, it seems so obvious a choice...maybe they started disliking the song themselves? :hmm: :shrug:

I'm afraid I can disprove that. I'd complain extensively. I think Streets would be a HORRIFICALLY bad choice to open the show. I want it exactly where it is- end of the main set/ first encore. Streets is the climax of the concert, the point EVERYTHING builds up to and windows down from. And it's almost impossible to follow up. (Notice that there's usually only 1-2 songs after it before a break if any and when there is, it's a massive song like Pride or One) If you open with Streets, there's nothing to build up to and the rest of the concert is an anticlimax!

Yeah, well you'll be pretty hard to hear in a stadium of 79,999 screaming bonkers Streets fans! :lol: :wink:

I agree about it being the climax, but not in a good way. Alot of people leave after it! That's not a good thing! Noone would leave after if they opened with it, period. There's plenty of other fantastic U2 songs to build up to. Pride immediately comes to mind especially if led in by say Amazing Grace or All I Want or any other moving singalongy-ending type U2 track.

And seriously, it's in no way impossible to follow up. IWF, Vertigo, Even Better, The Fly, UTEOTW, BD... all easily follow hard on the heels of Streets and keep the crowd jumping, I've seen it happen...not to mention the new songs GOYB, NLOTH, Magnificent, Breathe, etc etc etc...can you imagine them opening with Streets and then running that "the future needs a big kiss" track and launching GOYB? Awesome! There are two songs IMO to open a set of U2 songs that say "U2 IS HERE" and they are Streets and I Will Follow. GOYB follows with the addendum "...and so is the future"

What's the worst that could happen? Like I said, noone will leave. Not one single person, I'll put money on it :lol:

I agree with you. It's the emotional high point of the show (ZOMG IN MY OPINION BLAH BLAH BLAH).

I liked Breathe fine as an opener, but it didn't sustain the energy needed. I like Stingray, but it doesn't segue well into BD, especially when there's this huge awkward break between the two, like there was in one of the recent shows (there was some pro-shot video of the first three songs ... I think it was Paris?).

Honestly, that opening is my only real complaint about the current setlist. I'm even done complaining per se about In a Little While, because now it's kind of become a running in-joke, so I just laugh about it now. :wink:

Alot of people leave after it!

Where the hell did you see people leaving after Streets? :huh:

Are you sure they're not just making a beer or bathroom run? Or those who are not familiar with how concerts work, do they think that's the end of the show and not just an encore break?

JUST HOW INSANE ARE YOU, GABE??????

:wink:

Here's what I mean...maybe not RIGHT after...but by playing it so late in the show, every song after becomes "oh ok they played Streets, so I guess we're near the end, might as well leave soon how much better can it get" in alot of people's minds. I honestly think it has that effect on some people. If anything, later in the show it becomes even MORE impossible to follow up on, when if it was at the start, well, everyone would stick around anyways, noone's even remotely considering leaving.

BTW, my idea about Streets is only because I think they are having a problem with GOYB. I don't love the song, but it is the clear opener. But they're not using it, and muddling around trying to find a better opener without much success. I love Streets at any part of the show, it's the highlight of the show for me and I never consider leaving early. But I'm a crazy hardcore nutter U2 fan so there's that.

Here's what I mean...maybe not RIGHT after...but by playing it so late in the show, every song after becomes "oh ok they played Streets, so I guess we're near the end, might as well leave soon how much better can it get" in alot of people's minds.

Honestly? That's their fucking problem. Their loss.

At these stadium shows that are filled with people who are only there to hear the hits, you're going to have people leaving to go pee, leaving to get beer, standing around looking confused and/or bored during new songs or Miss Sarajevo.

I know setlist "flow" and structure is important to keep up the energy of the show, but you're always going to have people who will leave early to beat traffic or whatever.

I just want Streets to close the show once. My perfect U2 concert would end with Streets. Nothing can top that feeling, so why even play anything after. :drool: I would pee myself if they changed the encore so the show finished with WTSHNN.

Encore: Zooropa -> UV -> Bad/WILATW(snippet) -> WTSHNN -> :mydeath:

Cori you didn't read my second paragraph...there is no reason to change the setlist because people leave early, agreed! I'm saying that if they are going to continue to fart around with silly intros/using an older song to open the show, might as well be Streets and make it worthwhile. It's not going to ruin anyone's night - like REALLY? People are going to curse U2 for opening with Streets??! Cmon! I love the amazing segues into Streets as much as anyone else, but it would be something fresh and different if they opened with Streets and people would go ballistic, of course they would! And given that they are playing practically nothing off the new album anymore, more in line with the type of set they're playing anyways. I Will Follow would be great, also.

On the other hand, by playing such a huge song at that late point in the show, it does open up the door for a 'natural' point (if there can be such a sacrilege at a U2 show) for people to start considering their options. They'd probably do the same thing if it was Pride in that spot, for instance. Or WOWY. Or any other rousing #1 U2 song. :shrug:

I just want Streets to close the show once. My perfect U2 concert would end with Streets. Nothing can top that feeling, so why even play anything after. :drool: I would pee myself if they changed the encore so the show finished with WTSHNN.

Encore: Zooropa -> UV -> Bad/WILATW(snippet) -> WTSHNN -> :mydeath:

Not sure if I would actually pee myself...but hard to disagree with an encore like that.

Although I would vote for the snippet to be, in this order: All I Want or Wild Horses...I can't find it but there's a show where they did Bad with Wild Horses at the end and the crowd was singing the chorus with him acapella and then Streets comes in...just wow.

Plus, WILATW needs a full band treatment, they seriously need to play that song!!

Oh and as for the actual topic, lol.

Stingray isn't a bad intro, and BD isn't a bad first song. It's just those two TOGETHER does not work. Either start with BD immediately or have Stingray trailed by one of their more rocking songs that would work better. Like an IWF or OOC, maybe a Vertigo? Right now it doesn't work because 1) Stingray goes on too long without any lyrics or hook to grab on to. If you watch the videos of it, the crowd at first is digging it (probably some because they dont even know what it is), they are all clapping and pumping their fists... then they just settle down into a mass of people staring at Bono dancing around like a crazy person. 2) So by the time it ends, now the crowd is thinking "I have no fucking clue what that was, but I'm gonna cheer anyway" and once that reaction is done you get some awkward silence where the band does nothing and Bono starts yelling some random "oooohhhs!" that the crowd can repeat to fill time until BD starts. It's all just... weird.

btw, the long pause in between has to be intentional because don't they all play the exact same instruments for both ROTS/BD? What is the hold up for?

I was wondering if the longer-than-usual (yes? I think?) pause at the Paris show I was watching was due to some scramble or tiny problem to cause a delay.

But it feels weird even with a small gap between the songs.

I think Stingray is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've seen U2 do on stage, frankly.

Beautiful Day isn't a great opener under any circumstances, imo. It doesn't rock out quick enough and Edge needs to come out really quick and loud to say "U2 IS HERE" imo. Edge is the "sound" of U2 in that context and a powerful opening riff by Edge is key imo. Hence, I Will Follow, Even Better, GOYB, etc. The only thing that's perhaps more signature in terms of opening is the strings in Streets. But I digress yet once more :lol:

(alot of imos in there :lol: )

ETA: Do you guys think the opening sound is key, or is Larry walking out on the stage enough of a "U2 IS HERE" statement? Cause, like, people do start going nuts at that point. I guess there isn't much ambiguity there when they walk out. It's not like some are going "COLDPLAY IS HERE" in their minds. :lol:

/sillyjoke

carry on

To me, that "something else" of Elevation and 360 is simply light. Opening in the light or with gigantic spotlights on them as they hit the stage just cuts the intensity way, way down. Its very anti climactic. I get much more of a rush trying to find the band and seeing their shadows walk onto the stage than I do watching them walk up there.

Obviously you haven't experienced it, nor put yourself in the shoes of the average audience member attending.

The lights not turning off is almost the best thing about it. I saw the first show in Turin, and I had fully boycotted the internet, so I knew nothing.
As soon as I heard Space Oddity, I start thinking to myself 'wow, the lights will go off in a minute, wow, I can't wait for the lights to turn off, wow, this will be amazing - and then halfway through Space Oddity the band is suddenly on stage, a huge surprise, if you stood in the GA you'd have no clue where they came from almost. Bono has a new haircut, a new leather suit, new sunglasses, and then the band starts playing this fantastic and funky new song, with Bono dancing his weird, ultracool dance along the catwalk, singing 'TO-RI-NOOOOOOOOO!!!'. Everyone goes crazy; the crowd had no idea what just hit them.
The lights is fully intentional, it has no build-up, I realise that, but the surprise you get from that entrance was sensational. To most of the audience, who don't watch videos of previous shows in advance and don't know what the concert will be like, the opening is genius.

To me, this is probably the best opening they've ever done. And boy oh boy, I love that song.

I'm glad some people like the "lights on" approach. To me though it's no different than a warmup band or instrument techs coming out on stage. Really anticlimactic.

I thought it was cool when I saw the Elevation videos (I didn't see any of the shows in person), but it kind of feels a little "well, they already did this."

Not to say that U2 has to do everything completely different on every tour - look how many people complained on Vertigo when we didn't get the red screens and the "lights up" moment during Streets! ;)

But it doesn't seem as nifty this time around. Granted, I won't see it for myself until next summer, so maybe seeing it in person will change my opinion of it.

But the lights going down before the start of the show is such a great moment - I get chills when it happens at a show I'm really excited about ... like a U2 show! :wink:

I realize I'm totally nitpicking here. I like the Stingray tune, I like that they're changing it up from the last legs. So, you know ... I'll live. :lol:

Obviously you haven't experienced it, nor put yourself in the shoes of the average audience member attending.

The lights not turning off is almost the best thing about it. I saw the first show in Turin, and I had fully boycotted the internet, so I knew nothing.
As soon as I heard Space Oddity, I start thinking to myself 'wow, the lights will go off in a minute, wow, I can't wait for the lights to turn off, wow, this will be amazing - and then halfway through Space Oddity the band is suddenly on stage, a huge surprise, if you stood in the GA you'd have no clue where they came from almost. Bono has a new haircut, a new leather suit, new sunglasses, and then the band starts playing this fantastic and funky new song, with Bono dancing his weird, ultracool dance along the catwalk, singing 'TO-RI-NOOOOOOOOO!!!'. Everyone goes crazy; the crowd had no idea what just hit them.
The lights is fully intentional, it has no build-up, I realise that, but the surprise you get from that entrance was sensational. To most of the audience, who don't watch videos of previous shows in advance and don't know what the concert will be like, the opening is genius.

To me, this is probably the best opening they've ever done. And boy oh boy, I love that song.

Obviously you don't pay too much attention to posts you respond to.

I saw 360 live in person 2 times.

You can see them on the screen from the time the smoke comes out of the claw during Space Oddity and then you can see them walking up for about 30 seconds before Stingray starts. Not too much surprise there.

This is miles better than Breathe, I'll give you that, but nowhere near as good as what they have done in the past.

Obviously you don't pay too much attention to posts you respond to.

I saw 360 live in person 2 times.

From reading your post, I got the impression you saw the two Boston shows.
I meant the 2010 shows.

And that screen thing showing them walk to the stage wasn't there in Turin. The screen was pitch black until Edge began playing. Actually, the lights didn't go off until Magnificent, which was the third song of the evening. Bono said "where are we going" and the whole stadium went dark. Worked perfectly.

Seriously, the lights on thing works great. It really, really works great, I've seen it, and I've seen the crowd respond to it.

:lol: @ "ultracool"

"Weird" is sufficient. I think he looks goofy. But you know what? I like goofy Bono, so I love it. :wink:

I think he's cool as hell with that 'alms for an ex-leper'-attitude. (can't remember where I read that, but it was a great description of it.

Back
Top Bottom