Bono's Surgery To Lead To Static Set Lists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I mean, it makes sense. If they take less time to prepare for the upcoming shows, that's less songs that can be rehearsed and less preparation time for the new 360 Tour elements. I would not be surprised at all if the tour resumed with basically the same elements/songs from the last leg.

I wish Bono the best of luck, but for the band/fans, it would probably make more sense to relaunch the tour further into the summer and do all of the makeup dates at the end of the leg. I'd much rather be treated to something different than have a sloppy band play the same sets from the previous leg.

Well, given there were almost no cities with two gigs, I was expecting it to be static sets in each city anyway ...

:down:

Poor speculation.

First of all it's just bad form to start crap like this, and secondly it doesn't make any sense.

U2 haven't played in quite awhile so a full amount of rehearsals will need to happen no matter what, AND they apparently have already started and were going to bring in new stuff.

If the next leg is indeed to be delayed, maybe they'll be back later on, more motivated and focused, with the inclusion of some stuff that wasn't originally planned. I would bet we wouldn't see all those great versions of Kite if the 5th leg of the Vertigo Tour wasn't delayed (plus some amazing Bono performances). So there might be something positive coming out of this situation.

Well, given there were almost no cities with two gigs, I was expecting it to be static sets in each city anyway ...

I understand that, but I mean static compared to the last tour...very few changes. Moreso, they could even have less of an arsenal of songs at their disposal if there's less preparation time.

U2 haven't played in quite awhile so a full amount of rehearsals will need to happen no matter what, AND they apparently have already started and were going to bring in new stuff.

It will take less rehearsal time to go over the songs that were played on the last tour rather than work on new elements/songs. The band could likely go down this avenue because they'd rather cut a few days out of rehearsal in order to postpone one less date or two.

Knowing U2, they would need a full rehearsal in order to relearn songs like Ultaviolet, even if they did play it last leg.

And really it's only Bono that may have to sit out on some rehearsals. If they are indeed starting in Minneapolis, they will set up for a full rehearsal time.

Given that the vast majority of people who attend U2's concerts will only see one show, I can't see a problem with static setlists anyway.

Again, I was talking about sets that were static compared to the previous legs of the U2:360 tour....basically, the same show in 2010 as in 2009.

I know that the stadium shows were more static than others and even brought up the idea/question to Axver years ago about stadium shows being more static from day to day simply because they play less shows in each city. That's a given. I'm just hoping that this new leg isn't practically the same production as the last one.

i had a feeling his surgery would lead to a thread like this.

i was hoping it wouldn't, but alas, this place never lets you down :happy:

i make a funny in my head because i imagine someone sitting on a computer somewhere, in the morning with a cup of coffee, and then the log on to u2gigs to find the setlist was the same as the night before. i imagine the reaction is like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcctWbC8Q0

Assuming the slipped disc is true, Bono will be able to rehearse in no time. It's the running and jumping around the huge stage set that will be the problem, not setting up in some studio or warehouse in Dublin and belting through Acrobat and Mofo a few times. The lions share of responsibility and work on that front is with everyone other than Bono anyway. He hasn't had open heart surgery. If it were a garden variety slipped disc, with a standard operation, and a normal recovery, and it took place last Wed/Thurs, there's every chance he's walking around right this very moment. Getting moving quickly is actually an important part of the recovery. If all of that is the case, he could be taking some part in rehearsals as early as next week, although I'd think most of his time would be spent on rehabilitation initially.

They don't seem to need that much time with 'on stage' rehearsal either. If Minn. is the re-start point, you can assume Glastonbury will go ahead as well. That would give them a couple of weeks with Bono in rehearsal in Dublin, longer for the rest of the band, then do Glasto (which you could count as a full set rehearsal), then a couple of days on stage before the Minn. gig. Sure, the whole intended overhaul may be more of a creeper than originally intended, but that's still plenty of time to nail a few new songs, or new-to-this-tour songs, and re-acquaint themselves with the stage.

If the next leg is indeed to be delayed, maybe they'll be back later on, more motivated and focused, with the inclusion of some stuff that wasn't originally planned. I would bet we wouldn't see all those great versions of Kite if the 5th leg of the Vertigo Tour wasn't delayed (plus some amazing Bono performances). So there might be something positive coming out of this situation.

I see what you did there :wink:

Also if ANYTHING once U2 come back , I reckon they'll be more likely to go through their back catalog. ....tooo soon?

Plus if they were serious about touring surely they can just have Edge, Adam and Larry play...and have the Rose Bowl DVD playing on the screens..have some roadie run around like Bono on stage..its not like people in Row Z are gonna know any better.

Well, a new video from Edge on U2.com mentions playing new songs when the tour kicks off. So ...

I don't care if they make Bono STAND at his microphone, give the man a guitar, even if he just wears it instead of playing it, but I want him to have a great voice and sing these songs without jumping around, possibly risking another injury. I am very excited about the new material and hope we really get to hear some of it.

Bono could speed onto the stage on a skateboard, while the band plays "The Power of Love."

:down:

Poor speculation.

First of all it's just bad form to start crap like this, and secondly it doesn't make any sense.

I am happy that they will be able to perform with Bono as their lead singer.

Well, people are whining and this is exactly what I talked about. They've spent far less time rehearsing than they were going to do over in Salt Lake City which means the set is virtually identical to what we've seen before.

01. Space Oddity / New Intro
02. Beautiful Day
03. Magnificent
04. Get On Your Boots
05. Mysterious Ways
06. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
07. The Flowering Rose Of Glastonbury (new songl title unknown)
08. Elevation
09. In A Little While
10. Spaceship / Miss Sarajevo
11. Until The End Of The World
12. The Unforgettable Fire
13. City Of Blinding Light
14. Vertigo
15. Discotheque (snippet) / I'll Go Crazy If I Do not Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)
16. Sunday Bloody Sunday
17. MLK
18. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone
19. Desmond Tutu Intro / One
20. Amazing Grace / Where the Streets Have No Name
21. Spaceship Intro / Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
22. With Or Without You
23. Moment Of Surrender

Yes, how convenient is this. And how lame, seriously, it's just poor taste. Seems like some people have just waited for this to happen so they can blame Bono. This is just wrong. :|

They've had plenty of time to rehearse. I'm pretty sure the set would look like this as well if there hadn't been a surgery. There will be changes once the tour is moving on. Right now we haven't even had the opening night and people are already freaking out.

Maybe everyone complaining should go to a show first and look and listen and THEN judge.

this is hillarious ( to me) U2 haven't even played their first gig yet, and some are losing their minds because of the set list. It's the first show!! There's going to be tunes removed and other ones added as the tour goes on.

Back
Top Bottom