Black Eyed Peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The success of an opener can easily be judged by crowd reaction. Muse fans were reportedly annoying and some even left before U2. BEP got the entire stadium energized in Norman Oklahoma. Everyone's going to have their opinion on who they like better, but after reading the reviews it looks to me like BEP have Muse beat by a mile.

This is the thing: after a long day in line, I'm HYPED to see U2. The last thing I want is some kindof downer/overly weighty opening act. Watching those videos..and hearing thousands singing and dancing like they know tonight's gonna be a good night...it's just the perfect vibe leading into a U2 show, if you see what I mean.

Gotta find some Phoenix videos! :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUUgXtO0tA

captain_obvious.jpg

:wink:

it was a little embarrassing watching their act last night, all the jumping and yelling and 'what what'-ing. the kids, i could see...but the older people (mid/late 20s and up) going nuts. and the people who said they were just as happy to see them as they were to see U2 :doh: maybe i'm just old.

a couple of their songs were catchy, but i couldn't believe how everyone around and in front of me ate them up. :tsk:

after seeing them last night i will say that wyclef is by far my favorite BEP

-dan

Having seen shows on this leg with all three openers, I can say that the BEPs are by far the best opening band.

Muse plays the best music, and I might go see them if they tour next year. But BEPs put on a far better show and did a much better job of getting the crowd fired up. (Though there's pretty much a zero percent chance of me ever going to see them as the main act, unlike Muse.)

Heh, BEP made a slight setlist change in Phoenix. Their full set here:

Let's Get It Started
Rock That Body
Meet Me Halfway
Now Generation
Big Girls Don't Cry (Fergie solo)
Pump It
Where Is the Love?
Boom Boom Pow
I Gotta Feeling

And to dan: Everyone in my area (except for a couple who even sat down for U2!) were really into BEP... including several people much older than I (I'm 23). So I guess they're just not your thing, and that's cool.

BEP f'n rocked Phoenix tonight... that's all I'm gonna say.

I agree. I'm a casual fan but they were ON. I'm definitely looking forward to their homecoming set in L.A.
Even some guys that were near me who booed them when they came on afterward said " wow, I don't hate them anymore"

Umm, BEP rocked it last night.. there were a few U2 fans that weren't moved by them, but umm, I'm OLD, and even I know their songs, and I danced to them.
They got the crowd moving.
I swear Will.I.am is on drugs though.. whatever though.. they set the tone for the concert, and they were respectful of the fact that they were opening for U2. Thankful even.

And why not? They are musicians, and we are there for the music. Maybe some just for U2, but..they did play music and they did an admirable job..by having a younger audience, U2 is savvy by having a popular younger band to introduce U2's music to a younger generation. Wider generational appeal.

BEP was good at what they were doing. Catchy rocking tunes. Good warm-up for the main attraction.

Wrong.

Hell, that song alone got a better reaction than ANY U2 song last night, save for Magnificent and Streets.

:hmm:

That certainly says something about the audience. A not particularly attractive something....

;)

Must not have been a 'proper' or 'real' U2 audience.

:lol:

I have to admit...I'm seeing the videos and there are more people dancing to BEP than U2 for the most part. In many of them there isn't a single soul sitting down, not even way up in the stands, and we had people on here complaining about people in the stands in Toronto (and other cities?) sitting down during U2. Not that this makes me happy, I'd much rather see everyone up and moving during U2. I wonder...would there have been people sitting during U2 if BEP opened in these cities also?

At any rate, the job of the warm up act is to get the crowd warmed up..looks like BEP is gettin it done! I SERIOUSLY hope U2 turns the cameras on for Sundays broadcast for the entire show, not just their set. I doubt that will happen, though...

Wrong.

Hell, that song alone got a better reaction than ANY U2 song last night, save for Magnificent and Streets.

Yes you just objectively proved he was wrong well done, of course something being popular means its good. That's why NLOTH is U2's worst album :)

I think the excitement and overall good response to BEP shows that it's not as much the fault of a boring audience when there isn't a good response but that U2 really needs to add more high-energy songs to their setlist. :up: The crowd wants to go crazy (lol) but just need a kick in the ass to get going. If BEP could manage to get the GA (people not even there to see them) up and down for most of their set, it should be a piece of cake for Bono and the rest.

More rockers please!!! :D

BEP would not be worth wasting my hearing for - I wouldn't show up until they had left the stage if I was seeing any of their shows with U2. I really enjoyed both Snow Patrol and Muse, though.

U2 should force Arcade Fire to open for them every show next year.

after seeing them last night i will say that wyclef is by far my favorite BEP

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....

His name is Will I. Am

:laugh:

I think BEP will get more people into the stadium ahead of time...

I think the excitement and overall good response to BEP shows that it's not as much the fault of a boring audience when there isn't a good response but that U2 really needs to add more high-energy songs to their setlist. :up: The crowd wants to go crazy (lol) but just need a kick in the ass to get going. If BEP could manage to get the GA (people not even there to see them) up and down for most of their set, it should be a piece of cake for Bono and the rest.

More rockers please!!! :D

Post of the tour, period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPQAtC44Z4k

Think it's any coincidence that people are reporting that U2 has been re-energized and on fire the last few nights? I don't.

Yes, Fergie surprised me. Most live stuff I've seen from them on TV (especially Fergie) wasn't that good. Guess you have to be there.

P.J Harvey rocked on the Elevation tour,but i don't think the uptight O.C.
crowed really got her.it was more like P.J. who?

Back
Top Bottom