"Big **** up during Magnificent but Bono saved it" - U2log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's at the beginning of the video, arround 0:45, he was supposed to sing "I was born..." and he sang "Justify till we die..."

I don't think it was that bad, but it was funny! When Bono realised his mistakes he almost started to laugh!
A guy in front of me was horrified!

:lol:

I thought someone else in the band f***ed up and Bono saved the song.

Instead the song was f***ed up and saved by Bono at the same time. Hilarious.

Can someone PLEASE 'splain to me the shirt that Adam is wearing? WTF is w/ those collors :lol:

Could you imagine him taking a page out of the Eighties and actually flipping up those collors?

he'd look like Count Chocula

I'm starting to wonder what Bono's problem is. :huh: He messes up lyrics in like half the songs now. He will forget verses, do them out of order, or just make up words as he goes along. Is he losing his memory or something? I mean, I'm sure he's goofed up on songs before, but it seems to be every night now. At least much more often than it ever appeared to happen before. I just finished a Walk On video (from the same concert I think) where he messes up too. Add him reading the Stuck lyrics off the floor. Maybe he's getting Alzheimer's :lol:

I'm starting to wonder what Bono's problem is. :huh: He messes up lyrics in like half the songs now. He will forget verses, do them out of order, or just make up words as he goes along. Is he losing his memory or something? I mean, I'm sure he's goofed up on songs before, but it seems to be every night now. At least much more often than it ever appeared to happen before. I just finished a Walk On video (from the same concert I think) where he messes up too. Add him reading the Stuck lyrics off the floor. Maybe he's getting Alzheimer's :lol:

lol. i wouldn't worry. the B man has always had issues remembering lyrics. nothing new.

Yeah, he's definitely been rockier than usual. His voice has been mind-blowingly good though (Ultraviolet night 1 in Barcelona, etc.). He's almost 50, though! Definitely having his share of "senior moments" :wink:

I think he was peeking at a teleprompter for the words to "Stuck In a Moment" the other night, judging from the YouTube clip I watched. Hopefully it doesn't have to become a crutch for him. Study harder, Bono! :wink:

I expect to see him on the cover of AARP soon.

;) lol and i am the same age as he, I will be right then with him i cant remember much either from one day to the next,lol my poor family:), oh well i guess you will have when the years tick by, wish they would slow down though.:)

I've just watched the video of Magnificent from last night - where exactly is this alleged incident? Sounded fine to me... Maybe it was incredibly subtle but I doubt they'd be calling it a "big **** up" if it was something small...

Or maybe it was the night before last?
YouTube - U2 CONCERT 360 TOUR PARIS (Part 4) MAGNIFICENT

you really do not hear this?? :| (0.55 min)
cool....:wink:

Strange to hear Bono mess up more than he allready did on the last tours and also new songs but his voice is in great shape so I am not complaining. he is just getting old..

You still have to remember its early in the tour, there still not at there best, and with alot of tweaking in the setlist, its bound to be a little complicated at times :)

Strange to hear Bono mess up more than he allready did on the last tours and also new songs but his voice is in great shape so I am not complaining. he is just getting old..

:lol:

It has nothing to do with getting old...that makes no sense...he's not doing anything that unusual...it's not "he is just getting old"...it's more like "he is just being Bono" :shrug:

I have to wonder is some of you ever even follow other musicians or bands remotely closely outside of U2? Some of you act like you've never seen this type of thing. Maybe because I play and see live music all the time I'm aware, but you are all music lovers I would think you see a lot of live music, no? A thousand things can distract you during a show, a new stage, crew trying to tell you something, a fan is screaming something at you, a technical difficulty, whatever you name it and you have to tune it out pay attention to the band, sing, and try and entertain the audience all at the same time... and if you're a little ADD like I am, that's no easy task. I flub lyrics all the time, Vedder flubs lyrics all the time(why do you think he "mumbles" so much? So he can cover it up), I just saw a good friend of mine over the weekend who's been touring one album over a year flub a song she's probably played over 200 times this year, she messed up the intro and jokingly said "you'd think I would know this one by now I'm asked to play it every damn place I go."

It's not a mechanical act.

NBA players still miss free throws.

I have to wonder is some of you ever even follow other musicians or bands remotely closely outside of U2? Some of you act like you've never seen this type of thing. Maybe because I play and see live music all the time I'm aware, but you are all music lovers I would think you see a lot of live music, no? A thousand things can distract you during a show, a new stage, crew trying to tell you something, a fan is screaming something at you, a technical difficulty, whatever you name it and you have to tune it out pay attention to the band, sing, and try and entertain the audience all at the same time... and if you're a little ADD like I am, that's no easy task. I flub lyrics all the time, Vedder flubs lyrics all the time(why do you think he "mumbles" so much? So he can cover it up), I just saw a good friend of mine over the weekend who's been touring one album over a year flub a song she's probably played over 200 times this year, she messed up the intro and jokingly said "you'd think I would know this one by now I'm asked to play it every damn place I go."

It's not a mechanical act.

NBA players still miss free throws.

I had to laugh about the "follow other musicians "part.
I had to laugh even harder about the NBA comparrison. Throwing a ball in a net seems a little bit harder than hitting an A chord. Just a bit, but still.
(The funny thing is: I played basketball for a while and I play guitar now for more than 20 years)

The thing is, with U2 it allways sounds so silly when they fuck up. It's not like the songs are difficult or anything and they sound just....really amateurlike. I love it that they mess up sometimes, but Bono and esp. Edge are NOT on fire thusfar. Is that a problem with global impact? No. Is it something worth debating? questionable. Do I notice? hell yeah :wink:

Can not wait for Dublin city :drool:

you people have no life discussing stuff like that.
now I feel like I used to have life but I don't anymore as a result of reading the whole freakin' topic since I'm so amazed by each one of you acting like some "things nobody gives a shit about" experts hahaha :doh:

you people have no life discussing stuff like that.
now I feel like I used to have life but I don't anymore as a result of reading the whole freakin' topic since I'm so amazed by each one of you acting like some "things nobody gives a shit about" experts hahaha :doh:

yeah, that 10 minutes a day on interference really is too much :hmm:
let's see if I can make it 5 because you are right. Goodnight, of to a party now

I had to laugh about the "follow other musicians "part.
I had to laugh even harder about the NBA comparrison. Throwing a ball in a net seems a little bit harder than hitting an A chord. Just a bit, but still.
(The funny thing is: I played basketball for a while and I play guitar now for more than 20 years)
My point is that if you're getting paid NBA money, you should be able to nail a free throw at least 75%, if not you're just a disgrace. But there are still all stars that have 50% free throw records... I'm looking at you Shaq.

20 years? Do you ever miss a note? I've seen some of the greats flub their solos...

The thing is, with U2 it allways sounds so silly when they fuck up. It's not like the songs are difficult or anything and they sound just....really amateurlike. I love it that they mess up sometimes, but Bono and esp. Edge are NOT on fire thusfar. Is that a problem with global impact? No. Is it something worth debating? questionable. Do I notice? hell yeah :wink:
It sounds silly when anyone fucks up :shrug: but it's human.

My point is that if you're getting paid NBA money, you should be able to nail a free throw at least 75%, if not you're just a disgrace. But there are still all stars that have 50% free throw records... I'm looking at you Shaq.

20 years? Do you ever miss a note? I've seen some of the greats flub their solos...

First of all, I hate solos with the acception of David Gilmour who has more feeling in his little pinky than 99% of the worlds guitarplayers. There are only a hadfull of fantastic solos and breath is not one of them, neither is unknown caller by the way.

Did/ Do I miss notes, hell yeah but:
1) I am not making millions of dollars (which is perfectly okay, I will not complain because there is absolutley no reason to)
2) U2 songs are the easiest songs to play if you know how to play them and I can expect the guy who wrote that stuff to know what he is doing.
3) Listening to that breathsolo form barcelona just makes my stomach hurt. That has never happened before.

Time for a drink in the sun, see you all later:wave:

And guess what... he's fucked up before.

And guess what, the chance of making a mistake in 3420 beautiful notes is bit more realistic and " excusable" than making an error in the pathetic attempt of a solo in Unknown Caller

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

And guess what, the chance of making a mistake in 3420 beautiful notes is bit more realistic and " excusable" than making an error in the pathetic attempt of a solo in Unknown Caller

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

It was the first show. They were excited and are all human.

Good to hear you're perfect. Go listen to your own music if U2 fucks up too much for your liking.

And the UC solo is not a "pathetic attempt", but a beautiful solo.

U2 are critical of themselves and review every show. I'm sure they work on stuff that's not going right. It's live after all and stuff like that happens.

ahh c'mon... fuck-ups happen all the time in the performing arts and, in my experience, are normally taken very seriously by those involved,especially for high-level performers...

i don't know how U2 deal with them after the show, but i have seen (in professional dance and also theatre performances) directors near murder their performers in the after-show dissection for fucking up badly during a live performance... but i guess in that context there are a zillion other aspiring and v. talented dancers/actors out there ready to jump into the shoes of those who fail to deliver...

that said, i don't mind the fuck-ups so much... i find them quite endearing really...

anyway, it shows the strength of a band's (or any artist's whether dancer/actor etc.) creativity and gift if they fuck up but are able to improvise their way out of it without going to pieces... you just have to go with the moment and find your way back on track

there are a zillion robots out there that can sing a song flawlessly but don't have the spark

How can Bono and Edge "catch fire?" From some of the vids I've seen and the audio I've heard they sound into the music...BTW, how can the Edge "catch fire" on a song like Pride (just wondering)? I love the bitter criticism over a few screwed up notes or some missed lines...It's easy for us sitting here to say "this is good" and "this is crap," but we don't have 90,000 people in front of us, lights flashing everywhere, four rows of pedals at our feet and an IEM ticking away in our ears. Yes, some of the songs they have played for 20+ years, whatever- but I don't mind the occassional fuck-up. I just think the "inexcusable, unforgivable, how-could-they-screw-that-up" tone is a bit much...

Back
Top Bottom