Auckland Rehearsals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Willie's Diary piece on the emergence of Scarlet...

Finally I braced it and suggested that they might consider debuting Scarlet, a 30-year-old instrumental album track, a suggestion that produced the most interesting range of facial expressions I think I’ve ever seen from these guys. Given that the piece is largely a bass solo, I left it to Adam to make the call as to whether this was too much to take on, or if it was worth pursuing at all. After they had recovered composure, I was surprised and delighted that Adam immediately picked up an acoustic bass guitar and started to pick out the hook phrase of the song. Out on stage (the rain having subsided to a mere drizzle) the phrase grew into the whole piece and, through the giant 360 sound system, it sounded absolutely wonderful, “Rejoi-oi-oice….!” They played on, and the thing built into something quite dizzying, like time-travel. It’s a little astonishing to imagine a group of nineteen-year-olds writing a song like that, but such is the mystery of U2. Bono began rapping over the spaces in the music and I could guess what was in his mind – something very clever. I love these U2 ambient pieces… The Ocean, Into the Heart, Scarlet, 4th of July. Perhaps we should look at putting Fez into the show whilst we’re at it.

It’s always fun to monitor Twitter at a time like this and within three minutes there was a wildly excited post, announcing to the blogosphere that “either Rejoice or Scarlet is being performed, but either way – holy shit!” then a minute later “we can confirm that it’s Scarlet…” No secrets in the 21st century.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom