Any idea why Edge isn't playing Ultraviolet like Zoo TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I love the 92-93 versions especially on the Explorer, when he slides the notes when Bono sings "I remember when we could sleep on stone" -- but now it just seems like some slight distortion on his Strat...

When they brought back Zoo Station it was on a Gibson like it was on 92-93... the Fly was even dirtier and harder with the Variax Line 6 instead of a Strat

good question!

It is weird hearing it like this. I mean, if it was an improvement compared the ZOO tv fine but that part(guitarwise) sounds bland while the overall performance of the song is absolutely cool so I don't get it.

overall I am not so impressed with Edge this tour/ last couple of records.

oh well, what can you do.. :wink:

you know, as amazing as performances have been of various songs of theirs over the years, i think i'd be disappointed if they were still performing everything like that today. just like with the sounds they produce on each album change, i'd expect their live performances to do the same. if they were still performing (for example) sunday bloody sunday like they did in 1983, i'd be shocked at their lack of attempt to evolve.

just purely judging their performances on 360 and discounting how i feel about the song itself, the only song i can say i'm disappointed with or not happy with is wowy. so that's not too bad i guess.

just purely judging their performances on 360 and discounting how i feel about the song itself, the only song i can say i'm disappointed with or not happy with is wowy. so that's not too bad i guess.

in terms of songs they're playing that i like, i completely agree with this. i'd add mysterious ways to the list, but i understand the solo has been restored so it's off the shit list.

Actually it's kinda funny, but if you take a closer look at the way Edge treats their back catalogue you'll notice that many songs, for the first couple of tours played live (or maybe from the second tour onwards) will get a rather progressive and innovative treatment, taking them quite further from the album version in terms of arrangement, then after about a decade, or when they return to the setlist after a long hiatus, will receive a conservative treatment on Edge's part and a sound and an arrangement closer to the album version, this is true for Mysterious Ways, BTBS (they keep changing the end, but I guess it's more Bono-induced, as it has to suit his additions, the Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus have been getting closer than ever to the JT version on the Elevation and Vertigo tours), The fly has actually come closer to the ZooTV version and Hansa demos on the Vertigo tour, appart from its intro it had that organic sound quite removed from the contrast between dreamy and industrial direction that brought it to an extreme on the elevation tour. I just think that when it comes to Edge, as years go by he usually gets to feel more confident about the parts he played on the album or the way they played the song first in the studio, the current guitar parts on UV is pretty much what you can hear him play on Achtung, so I think its true for most songs that don't end up as acoustic versions.

I think bono once said something like "I would love to do a new arrangement for One, but the presbyterian Edge and the Teutonic Larry Mullen go 'No, it's gonna stay right where it is', Edge will say 'it's a guitar melody, I can't change the melody to a song'".

Adam is the one that likes to kick things around. listen to his melodic leads on Streets, and his offbeat punches on SBS right after the solo, It's getting raggae!

Because, unlike fans, they don't look back but instead try to do something new instead of just repeating themselves?

Goodmorning ms positivity!

so playing a powerchord where once was a beautiful set of notes is trying something new? well yes, I guess you are right. Doesn't mean it is an improvement. The last time Edge tries something new was Bullet and Fly elevation tour by the way. I forgot: Beautiful day has a new intro :up:

I actually prefer how Edge plays Ultraviolet on this tour to how he played it on the ZooTV Tour. But I would say that Edge has become somewhat less inclined to experiment than Bono and Adam since the days of Pop.

Regarding The Fly, I strongly prefer Vertigo to Elevation - Vertigo had the full chaos of the song included, whereas Elevation dragged it closer to a generic arena rock song, although the dreaminess of the intro was cool. I don't like BTBS in any form.

To be honest I find the Edge to be decidedly not on fire at the moment. The others are all absolutely on top of their game but Edge's only moment of distinction on this tour for me is the solo on Unknown Caller. Perhaps I am unfair and it is down to the setlist more than anything but I do miss the screaming guitar parts of e.g. Electric Co., Bullet the Blue Sky etc. He doesn't need to play them but perhaps add New York or Miami to the setlist or play Kite like they did down under last tour. Bono please set fire to Edge again. Yes we saw the clip of It Might Get Loud where Edge shows how cleverly he gets a big sound out of two strings in Elevation but that does not make it a great guitar part. Bring back the passion Edge - come on - how about Love Is Blindness?

The Edge IS on fire during the falsetto solo on Stuck.

Stuck falsetto solo > UC guitar solo

I think some people really just want to live in the past (me too actually :lol:, then I could see ZOO TV in person).

1) I don't like Mac singing WOWY either. Overly dramatic and not needed for that type of song, much like the solo for it as well :down: (both things a lot of people seem to LOVE here) But this isn't what the topic is about so ignore this portion :lol:

2) I don't mind how Edge is playing the song at all. The visuals of the wii wheel and space suit, plus the pyramid of mirrorball light at the end are enough to make me pee myself in glee. The only thing I really miss though is Bono's falsetto :( He tries out the one in WOWY, One, and TUF (hell he even added a random one to the middle part of the song) but he won't try out the UV one. I am cry over it.

it's too bad U2 didn't take some anti-aging drugs in 1993. and i mean this, if U2 could have stayed in their age and mindset that they were in around 92-93, that would be incredible.

unfortunately, they are human and age just like the rest of us.

I love the 92-93 versions especially on the Explorer, when he slides the notes when Bono sings "I remember when we could sleep on stone" -- but now it just seems like some slight distortion on his Strat...

at first, i was really excited to hear this guitar line, and i was disappointed when i didn't. but i'm pretty sure for the riff he plays now, he uses the WOWY infinite guitar with a shitload of distortion, delay, and reverb. i think it's great that Edge is trying out new stuff like that. maybe not as classic as that one guitar line from ZooTV, but still pretty cool imo.

Mac as a character was cool, as a singer he blew! I cringe everytime I hear him sing in that stupid accent. He was the downfall of WOWY. That's a confirmed rumor.

I really couldn't disagree more :lol:

oh well

Back
Top Bottom