ALL discussion about Acrobat here!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
I'm dying for them to play this song. I think it'd go amazing well folliwng Breathe. Maybe Breathe could open the encore then followed by Acrobat. Or maybe vice versa. Either way I think they should play Acrobat. It's well past due and the fans want it I'm sure. What'ya guys think?

image.jpg

You really think there's no chance? How many of us pictured them playing Zoo TV last tour? You could be right but I think Acrobat has been gaining enough momentum on the fan sites that at some point you'd think the band or somene close to them would have taken notice and at least mentioned it to them. They have played it acoutsically durring soundcheck before. It's sucha wicked song. Not sure why they ignore it.

i just don't see them breaking this song out. the only chance we have is that they decide to devote a lot of their attention on Achtung Baby with the remaster coming up this year, and maybe they finally give in and learn how to play it.

You really think there's no chance? How many of us pictured them playing Zoo TV last tour?

Was that on one of the screens? I can't imagine them playing the whole dvd (or tour, for that matter). :huh:

Oh wait, did you mean Zoo Station?

Generally, if they didn't play a song on the tour supporting the album it was on, they won't introduce it on a later tour (The First Time being the exception).

I have a friend who, somewhat jokingly, asked Edge if they were ever going to play Acrobat live (this was during the Vertigo tour). Apparently Edge gave him a "do you know how often I get asked this fucking question?" look, lol.

Not a chance in hell.

And I'm not sure wether that's a bad thing or not.. It's such a great song and HUGELY hyped here, so I'm quite sure U2 would never be able to live up to the expectations.

Generally, if they didn't play a song on the tour supporting the album it was on, they won't introduce it on a later tour (The First Time being the exception).

I have a friend who, somewhat jokingly, asked Edge if they were ever going to play Acrobat live (this was during the Vertigo tour). Apparently Edge gave him a "do you know how often I get asked this fucking question?" look, lol.

LMAO! I totally wanted to ask The Edge the same question when I met him. Now I'm glad I didn't. It would have cast a pall on the whole experience.

I want to see them play Acrobat, not just because it is one of my very favorite U2 songs, but because I can actually visualize the performance. However lets face facts. Isn't Acrobat one of only two songs (B sides notwithstanding) that the band has never fully played live? The other being The Drowning Man, which I believe they have snippeted from time to time.

I'm dying for them to play this song. I think it'd go amazing well folliwng Breathe. Maybe Breathe could open the encore then followed by Acrobat. Or maybe vice versa. Either way I think they should play Acrobat. It's well past due and the fans want it I'm sure. What'ya guys think?

Would be nice for sure, unlikely but certainly not 100% out of the question. Your bring up a great point, how many expected them to play Zoo Station on Vertigo? Add to that list the first time, An Cat Dubh, Electric co, Gloria, the Ocean, Stories for Boys, etc. I say this song has as good as chance as any rarity of being played live.

I like your breathe observation alot. Encore1: Pop Muzik, LNOE, The Fly, Stay
Encore2:Breathe, Acrobat, LIB

However, if I were going to go with a more likely pick, I would say Ultraviolet has a much better chance of appearing.

However lets face facts. Isn't Acrobat one of only two songs (B sides notwithstanding) that the band has never fully played live? The other being The Drowning Man, which I believe they have snippeted from time to time.

Plenty more album songs have never been played live than just those two. See here: U2gigs.com - FAQ

Sorry, a nice thought, but not quite right. Actually "The First Time" is no exception at all. The tune was played on the 'ZOOROPA' Tour 1993, when the album was new in the shops, too.
It was performed along with "Numb" (full band version), "Stay" (full band version), "Zooropa" (cut short full band version), "Babyface" (full band version), "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed" (short acoustic band snippet) and "Lemon" (very short snippet, only a line) on this European leg of the tour. The snippeted "The First Time" was a regular replacement of "All I Want Is You", when the band performed "Bad" back then – and remained in that sport right until the last show in Dublin '93, when "Bad" was played for the last time on the tour.
So the real surprise 2005/06 was, that U2 opted for dusting off this tune again from their shelves and performing it acoustic and complete. But this is another story ... :wave:

Would be nice for sure, unlikely but certainly not 100% out of the question. Your bring up a great point, how many expected them to play Zoo Station on Vertigo? Add to that list the first time, An Cat Dubh, Electric co, Gloria, the Ocean, Stories for Boys, etc. I say this song has as good as chance as any rarity of being played live.

I like your breathe observation alot. Encore1: Pop Muzik, LNOE, The Fly, Stay
Encore2:Breathe, Acrobat, LIB

However, if I were going to go with a more likely pick, I would say Ultraviolet has a much better chance of appearing.

You're missing the point here. All those songs you listed have been played regularly on their respective tours.

Acrobat has NEVER been played.

And ZooTvTourist, it's not been played full. The First Time has only been snippeted on the Zooropa tour.

Sorry, a nice thought, but not quite right. Actually "The First Time" is no exception at all. The tune was played on the 'ZOOROPA' Tour 1993, when the album was new in the shops, too.
It was performed along with "Numb" (full band version), "Stay" (full band version), "Zooropa" (cut short full band version), "Babyface" (full band version), "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed" (short acoustic band snippet) and "Lemon" (very short snippet, only a line) on this European leg of the tour. The snippeted "The First Time" was a regular replacement of "All I Want Is You", when the band performed "Bad" back then – and remained in that sport right until the last show in Dublin '93, when "Bad" was played for the last time on the tour.
So the real surprise 2005/06 was, that U2 opted for dusting off this tune again from their shelves and performing it acoustic and complete. But this is another story ... :wave:

Well, a couple of lines from a song doesn't mean for me that it was played live. So, it was a real surprise in 2005 that for the first time a full version of The First Time was played.

I don't think they'll play Acrobat, but if they would, it would be the greatest U2 fandom orgasm ever known to man.

There is as much chance of them performing Acrobat as there is Red Light and Refugee. In other words, no chance. There is no way that U2 are going to all of a sudden start performing a song that didn't get performed originally some 17 years later. Other bands might do this. U2 don't. And the current tour being stadiums make it even less likely.

You just never know with U2. Some people seem to get a grim satisfaction from saying "no chance". I think they might be misguided this time.

I REALLY hope so!!!!!!!! they need to add songs like this to make this tour a little differant from the last few!!!

and maybe they finally give in and learn how to play it.

There is your answer. "Learn" how to play it. It would require a lot of work by the band to get it down. Thats why it will never be done and wasn't done on the Zoo tour. They dont typically like to really "work" on a song unless its from the new album. Even then they give up easily! LOL ;)

Its also a reason we get fairly static setlists. But thats an argument from another thread. :)

The ONLY hope for the song would be some type of acoustic deal. Even that I think is a very slim hope and I think the fans overall would dislike an acoustic version. Excitement at first that it was done, then it would turn to, its the restroom break song. ;) The best part of the song to me is Edge's solo and that would eliminate it, no reason to play it for me if acoustic is the only hope.

and maybe they finally give in and learn how to play it.

Well this might be a lame-o observation, but my favorite U2 cover band Elevation USA does it live and they make it work (there is a vid of it on YouTube). In fact its awesome---so if a *#$@ing cover band can do it why can't they do it? Maybe they don't like it? :scratch:

Its wrong---its a great song I'd love to see them play it...

I am aware that part of it was played on ZooTV, I was just speaking specifically about the whole song.

Anyway, that's not really the issue. Fact is, if they didn't play a particular song on the first tour after its release, it's almost certainly not going to be played later on. (I would love to be proved wrong, however.)

I don't believe it will happen but I was thinking maybe a look back to a few songs that might show up (here's hoping!):

The Unforgettable Fire
A Sort of Homecoming
One Tree Hill
UltraViolet
Dirty Day
Walk On

there are already threads about that .... first 4 i desperately want to hear live too ... the other 2 ... walk on didn't work for me at the elevation tour ... it lacked something ...
dirty would be a great bullet replacement ... love that bassline

Simple answer: No.

And the fuss about Acrobat is getting tired.

There are so many more great songs they could play. I'd rather hear all of the new songs performed live.

Back
Top Bottom