All complaints about the setlist HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not enough rarities in this safest of eras and let's drop Crazy remix.

I guess we heard it all - right along with dropping Ultraviolet a few times. It's a good thing internet fans aren't deciding the setlist, that's for sure.

U2 is likely figuring out the set for this leg as they go along, remember the first leg of Vertigo - it took them a while. UV wasn't really gone, and I don't think NLOTH, Breathe and UC are, either.

How about any of these combos

-Stingray into Even Better Than The Real Thing
-Stingray into I Will Follow (Edge has the right guitar for it) if they are going to open with a warhorse, make it a fast paced hit you right away warhorse. Still would not be my favorite but miles better than the slow B. Day intro. I can see the crowd jumping up and down immediately when Edge hits the opening chords.
-Stingray into No Line On The Horizon (play it like the album with the band launching right in) *This would be my pick if I could pick for them.
-Stingray into HMTMKMKM

Any of these would work better to me.

Eh, I'm tired of this. I think we just need to have a meeting with the band and work this thing out! :wink:
I'm definitely not a fan of watching an old song opening the show (excluding Stingray), but really wouldn't be bothered if that old song was a reincarnation of something more pre-historic like "11 O'clock Tick Tock" or "Out Of Control" (or... bah, "I Will Follow"). Not "Beautiful Day"!

I find these "opening" debates very interesting. I see open with an old song, just make sure it's real old, some want the same exact opening song of their favorite previous tour, and others will complain no matter what because they won't open the way they imagined it.

The only thing I can agree with you about Crazy Tonight is the odd transition into SBS, pace-wise (although I do dig the musical transition between the remix and the Arabic singing, and it's not about oppression of Muslim women, they're focusing on the election protests - which makes me then wonder if they'll keep that going, since it's now been two years since that all went on).

To me the oddest transition is Elevation to IALW. I can't forget the feeling I had in the Rose Bowl when that happened, I went from Elevation to Deflation in a split second.

How about any of these combos

-Stingray into Even Better Than The Real Thing
-Stingray into I Will Follow (Edge has the right guitar for it) if they are going to open with a warhorse, make it a fast paced hit you right away warhorse. Still would not be my favorite but miles better than the slow B. Day intro. I can see the crowd jumping up and down immediately when Edge hits the opening chords.
-Stingray into No Line On The Horizon (play it like the album with the band launching right in) *This would be my pick if I could pick for them.
-Stingray into HMTMKMKM

Any of these would work better to me.

Eh, I'm tired of this. I think we just need to have a meeting with the band and work this thing out! :wink:

This :up:

Also I have to say while it was great to have Batman and UV in the encore it was a pretty high price to pay by losing both TUF and UTEOTW. It seems like it's always a trade off with this Band. Especially in this case because all four of the mentioned songs are in my top ten.

I read somewhere else that the boys played around with the idea of opening w/ Batman, I could see this working out with Stingray.

Okay, I'm meeting with the boys in a few minutes. But first, I want to make sure I have our collective wishes right. Please verify:

1. We want them to open with a mash-up of No Line, Stingray, Zoo Station and Breathe/Soon.
2. We would like Ultraviolet and HMTMKMKM to both open the encore, but no awkward Muslim women transitions.
3. We hate the Crazy Tonight remix, so start acting your age and get rid of that dancey nonsense... but while you're at it, keep the Crazy Tonight remix, it's a show highlight.
4. Drop all of the tired old standards like New Year's Day, With or Without You, Pride, etc. But make sure you give the casual fans what they want. That song about how "you give yourself away" from Friends. Ya, play that one!
5. Finally, we want new songs. Just not Glastonbury. We want something slower, with more melody. And while you're at it, drop North Star. That thing is a show downer. It doesn't rock enough.

There, does that just about cover it? :wink:

Band reaction: :doh:

(P.S. I love In a Little While, so don't drop that.)

Also I have to say while it was great to have Batman and UV in the encore it was a pretty high price to pay by losing both TUF and UTEOTW. It seems like it's always a trade off with this Band. Especially in this case because all four of the mentioned songs are in my top ten.

I read somewhere else that the boys played around with the idea of opening w/ Batman, I could see this working out with Stingray.

We need a costume change for Bono. How about dressing up as the Riddler? Ultraviolet jacket should only be for Ultraviolet.

Okay, I'm meeting with the boys in a few minutes. But first, I want to make sure I have our collective wishes right. Please verify:

1. We want them to open with a mash-up of No Line, Stingray, Zoo Station and Breathe/Soon.
2. We would like Ultraviolet and HMTMKMKM to both open the encore, but no awkward Muslim women transitions.
3. We hate the Crazy Tonight remix, so start acting your age and get rid of that dancey nonsense... but while you're at it, keep the Crazy Tonight remix, it's a show highlight.
4. Drop all of the tired old standards like New Year's Day, With or Without You, Pride, etc. But make sure you give the casual fans what they want. That song about how "you give yourself away" from Friends. Ya, play that one!
5. Finally, we want new songs. Just not Glastonbury. We want something slower, with more melody. And while you're at it, drop North Star. That thing is a show downer. It doesn't rock enough.

There, does that just about cover it? :wink:

Band reaction: :doh:

(P.S. I love In a Little While, so don't drop that.)

Well, I guess if you want to make a joke out of legitimate points made by people I could throw it right back. :wink:

U2 have perfect setlists and never make mistakes, therefore fans should never question or have an opinion on what they think might work better. Does that cover it? :wink:

Fans with legitimate points and ideas reaction: :doh:

:)

I find these "opening" debates very interesting. I see open with an old song, just make sure it's real old, some want the same exact opening song of their favorite previous tour, and others will complain no matter what because they won't open the way they imagined it.

They could open with Streets every show from now until they hang it up and I'd be just fine. I also think they could easily keep opening with prior openers like Elevation and Vertigo and the crowds would eat it up. People here would complain endlessly, but the fans at the shows would get into it.

I guess my question to you is do you think the Stingray/Beautiful Day opener is a fantastic opener? One of their best ever? If so, explain why you think it works so well.

Just curious.

I think if this setlist has any problems it's that the band is trying too much to incorporate relative unexpected (well, very unexpected until this tour) songs
:shrug:

You only quoted part of my post. The rest makes more sense in context.
I hope the other part also showed how much of a victim you are in this thread

I think if this setlist has any problems it's that the band is trying too much to incorporate relative unexpected (well, very unexpected until this tour) songs
:shrug:

I hope the other part also showed how much of a victim you are in this thread

??? What is that suppose to mean. I'm not claiming to be a victim. :huh: Making a joke and a point as the poster I was quoting was doing exactly. Sorry you did not get it.

Well, I guess if you want to make a joke out of legitimate points made by people I could throw it right back.

U2 have perfect setlists and never make mistakes, therefore fans should never question or have an opinion on what they think might work better. Does that cover it? :wink:

Fans with legitimate points and ideas reaction: :doh:

Take 'er easy there. As you'll see, I've made a number of those same points on here. I just thought the situation could use a little levity.

Take 'er easy there. As you'll see, I've made a number of those same points on here. I just thought the situation could use a little levity.

To a certain degree I could see that. I was sort of trying to do the same thing with the rest of my post the other way. Maybe it came off as pissy. Sorry.

To a certain degree I could see that. I was sort of trying to do the same thing with the rest of my post the other way. Maybe it came off as pissy. Sorry.

Not to worry at all.

I get bored sometimes in the mid-afternoon and feel the need to work on my comedy career : )

I think you needed a few more smilies. I missed your joke completely.

Went back and edited. Hope that makes it more clear and not pissy. :)

Quite honestly I don't know how I even got caught up in this thread. Obviously I'm passionate about U2 and the overall setlist is a little disappointing to me for the first time...well.....ever! 23 years of being a diehard fan this is the first time I have felt this way to this level. Other tours I have been on the other end of it for the most part. I REALLY wish I loved the setlist. Its not awful, it just could be so much better with just a few minor changes and considering the greatness of the stage it bothers me even more. I guess that is frustrating to me and it comes out in some of my posts even if unintended.

I certainly don't see how that makes me a victim as indicated in another post or how I have implied that I am??? Not sure what that is about.

I can only speak for me, but I think yesterday you said something about the unhappy opinions being belittled, so then when you commented about "making a joke out of the complaints," it seemed like you were talking about that again. :)

But I hear you about being caught up in it. I always start off being all "Oh well, it is what it is, I'm not going to let it bother me" and then four hours later I start getting all worked up and pissy. :lol:

I'm actually starting to get a little pissed off that they haven't brought back Fast Cars. WTF.

And in most circles I'm known as a blind sheep.

Back
Top Bottom