All complaints about the setlist HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
# of Songs being played per album:

Boy - 0
October - 0
War - 2
Unforgettable Fire - 2
Joshua Tree - 3
Rattle & Hum - 0
Achtung Baby - 2 to 3
Zooropa - 0
Pop - 0
ATYCLB - 4
HTDAAB - 2
NLOTH - 4
non-album tracks - 4

We are not being overly critical. There are just way too many ATYCLB tracks in the set. The ticket prices get higher and higher yet U2 have been pulling a lot of the same songs from the same albums for the last three tours. Why overlook the 90s like this? Wouldn't most of the die-hard fans be pleased if we could hear a couple Zooropa/Pop entries or even the neglected classic, Gloria? Are they just to hard to play or is it too hard to program new click tracks? :down:

# of Songs being played per album:

Boy - 0
October - 0
War - 2
Unforgettable Fire - 2
Joshua Tree - 3
Rattle & Hum - 0
Achtung Baby - 2 to 3
Zooropa - 0
Pop - 0
ATYCLB - 4
HTDAAB - 2
NLOTH - 4
non-album tracks - 4

We are not being overly critical. There are just way too many ATYCLB tracks in the set. The ticket prices get higher and higher yet U2 have been pulling a lot of the same songs from the same albums for the last three tours. Why overlook the 90s like this? Wouldn't most of the die-hard fans be pleased if we could hear a couple Zooropa/Pop entries or even the neglected classic, Gloria? Are they just to hard to play or is it too hard to program new click tracks? :down:

Is that tally for the 2010 legs? For 360 overall we have:

Boy: 0
October:0
War: 2
UF: 3
JT: 3
R&H: 2
AB: 4
Zooropa: 1
Passengers: 2
Pop: 0 (unless you count the Disco snippet)
ATYCLB: 5
HTDAAB: 2
NLOTH: 7
Non-album tracks: 5

Pop: 0

This made me laugh out loud. Passengers receiving more tracks over the course of a leg than two albums released under the name U2? Platinum sellers at that?

I truly have no idea what they're thinking anymore.

Assuming they're looking at the tally and these posts, they're probably thinking

"Jesus Christ! You wanted us to go all experimental and do something completely out there! We played two tracks from Passengers and you're STILL complaining!"

Now they're probably crying out of frustration.

:wink:

I should be more careful. If we confuse them too much, they might just check out entirely and play Grace. :crack:

This made me laugh out loud. Passengers receiving more tracks over the course of a leg than two albums released under the name U2? Platinum sellers at that?

I truly have no idea what they're thinking anymore.

But 'Passengers' has a picture of a spaceship on the cover?

We just need Unforgettable Fire, UTEOTW, Ultra Violet and HMTMKMKM in one set.
Just drop Elevation. Now that they've got Glastonbury in the set, there are 4 2000's rockers in the set!

Assuming they're looking at the tally and these posts, they're probably thinking

"Jesus Christ! You wanted us to go all experimental and do something completely out there! We played two tracks from Passengers and you're STILL complaining!"

It's hardly THAT experimental. For Goodness sake, one of the song's is MISS SARAJEVO....the fuck?

MOS is still not a good closing song. I like the song, it deserves to be played but no way is it a good closer. Even the band look like they feel another song should be played when it finishes. After MOS is the perfect spot for 'Bad' imo

MOS is still not a good closing song. I like the song, it deserves to be played but no way is it a good closer. Even the band look like they feel another song should be played when it finishes. After MOS is the perfect spot for 'Bad' imo

I agree that MOS doesn't quite work- how about AIWIY to follow?

Is that tally for the 2010 legs? For 360 overall we have:

Boy: 0
October:0
War: 2
UF: 3
JT: 3
R&H: 2
AB: 4
Pop: 0 (unless you count the Disco snippet)
ATYCLB: 5
HTDAAB: 2
NLOTH: 7
Non-album tracks: 5

Four from TUF actually- within the one concert every so often. MLK, Bad, Pride, TUF. As many as they're now playing from ATYCLB! ....Or, sadly, neglected NLOTH.

This is called reaching and splitting hairs and grasping at straws, sorry.

Beautiful Day: Whatever its about, it is a pretty universal meaning about hope and seeing the good amidst adversity. I heard Bono say its about a man who has lost everything yet never been happier, etc, I have heard numerous interviews with Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry, the list goes on, offering other interpretations.

Moot point anyway, I never said it should leave the set.

Elevation: Half assed, on the fly reasoning here. The lyrics are throw away, about the feeling one gets from something undefined, and there is much more focus on just rhyming words to a jump up and down riff then there is any kind of theme. Just because they put the space ship effect after performances of it and yell "lift off" does not mean it ties any more into the theme.

I could do the same thing you just did:

A Sort of Homecoming: Going back to space? Back to the moon? Seeing the landscape below as we lift off?

In God's Country: Now its about JFK's dream and vision of an American ideal so great we can go to the moon.

Pride: Now about the Pride the astronauts on the 1st mission to the moon had.

Do you see what we can do here?

Elevation is not so fitting to the(pretty thrown together, undeveloped) theme as to cause major loss if it goes. In A Little While and the Major Tom intro are the only songs that are indispensable to the space theme.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Not going to do a back and forth here for long.

The bottom line is you want your moles in holes with souls and I'll fight fate, loosen my lips, run on borderlands and dream beneath a desert sky any day of the week and twice on Sundays instead of that.:wave:

Sound like a good summary?
:D Very funny and well-observed.

LOL!!! :up:

I hate reading Willie's diary entries now. What could have been......... :sigh:
I blamed Willie partially for the pacing/setlist problems earlier in this thread but after reading the most recent entry I don't think its Willies fault for the most part. They should have opened with HMTMKMKM, what an outstanding opening song, beats the hell out of Beautiful Day. To know that it was seriously considered for that, the band and Willie thought it worked, and then going with B. Day almost makes me ill. If they had used Hold Me opening they could have kept Ultraviolet in the encore. Talk about an huge improvement in the setlist and you have only changed up two songs!!! Take out Miss Sarajevo and put in No Line On The HOrizon and the setlist has a very good collection of songs. The pacing might still be a tad off, but at least they would have an opener that works and the highlights of the tour would all still be there.

I just cannot wrap my head around how they think Beautiful Day works opening. From what I have watched of each show, its just uncomfortable, it doesn't work opening. Move it later in the set and bring back the celtic intro.

P.S. Nice that they did play HMTMKMKM and Ultraviolet in the encore, would have never thought that would happen. :up: But dropping The Unforgettable Fire??????????? :down: Add a tour highlight, must drop a tour highlight. The logic is mind boggling at times. :huh:

I blamed Willie partially for the pacing/setlist problems earlier in this thread but after reading the most recent entry I don't think its Willies fault for the most part. They should have opened with HMTMKMKM, what an outstanding opening song, beats the hell out of Beautiful Day. To know that it was seriously considered for that, the band and Willie thought it worked, and then going with B. Day almost makes me ill. If they had used Hold Me opening they could have kept Ultraviolet in the encore. Talk about an huge improvement in the setlist and you have only changed up two songs!!! Take out Miss Sarajevo and put in No Line On The HOrizon and the setlist has a very good collection of songs. The pacing might still be a tad off, but at least they would have an opener that works and the highlights of the tour would all still be there.

I just cannot wrap my head around how they think Beautiful Day works opening. From what I have watched of each show, its just uncomfortable, it doesn't work opening. Move it later in the set and bring back the celtic intro.

P.S. Nice that they did play HMTMKMKM and Ultraviolet in the encore, would have never thought that would happen. :up: But dropping The Unforgettable Fire??????????? :down: Add a tour highlight, must drop a tour highlight. The logic is mind boggling at times. :huh:
:up:

Geez it's only been gone for one goddamn show! :doh:

Relax.

Geez it's only been gone for one goddamn show! :doh:

Relax.

I realize that, but you missed my point. To add a tour highlight (IE Ultraviolet), they dropped one (IE The Unf. Fire). Why????!!!!!

Now if they are all back in the next show,(The Unf. Fire, Ultraviolet AND HMTMKMKM) fantastic! Want to place a wager they are all not played at the next show???? I'm not a betting man, but I feel pretty confident on this. :shrug:

PS, dont tell me to relax, I can convey my viewpoint as I please. Don't read it if it bothers you that much.

i would second this. i have seen u2 31 times now, going back to ZOOTV. I have traveled all over the country for every tour (including this one). With the way this show is going, I won't be for the next US leg. Right now they are not set to play in Atlanta area, and I am not traveling to see the current incarnation. Hopefully it dramatically changes before then (hopefully a new album), but as it stands now I am not traveling anywhere to see this show.

The stage looks cool, there are (were) some great moments, but overall the pacing and flow of the show is non-existent. What is so frustrating about that, is that has always been u2's strong point. Every tour they have these wonderful transitions, that made the songs really go to another place (Bad-Streets, Until-NYD, Bullet-Running-Streets, etc). This tour its completely lacking. Amazing Grace-Streets works well, but its really hard to screw up the intro to streets. Beyond that its awful. The Breathe intro was ok, but way below par for U2. The Stingray is cool, but the transition to BD is hands down the worst they have ever done (Compare that any of the last tours and its no comparison). What a dud.
The Crazy Tonight-SBS-MLK- Walk On is so ridiculous- for the first time at any U2 show ever, I was looking at my watch. I was so ready to hear streets, that section dragged forever. Crazy to SBS is an awful transition, and Walk On is the height of U2 becoming a parody of themselves (I don't mind the political themes, and always defend them in this area- but the Walk On segment just plain sucks). The one cool transition they have is COBL-Vertigo which is just a hold over from the last tour.
Add to that they are now dropping NLOTH songs for things like Glastonbury (this song is really, really weak and way inferior to any of the songs they dropped from NLOTH),and bringing back the snooze fest that is Miss Sarajevo (how that has been played so much live is mind boggling). Now they drop UF, and Until (played to death but still a great live song).

360 before this leg was at the bottom of all the shows I have seen as far as setlist / pacing/ flow. Add to it the changes they have made recently, and they just made it significantly weaker.

:up: Just looked back at the posts since yesterday and read this. I'm glad another long time fan see's and hears it also. Very well put. I don't think we are alone on this view. I agree with 99% of what you are saying. (I sort of like the Glastonbury song), otherwise I agree completely. Thanks for your post. :)

:up: Just looked back at the posts since yesterday and read this. I'm glad another long time fan see's and hears it also. I don't think we are alone on it. I agree with 99% of what you are saying. (I sort of like the Glastonbury song), otherwise I agree completely. Thanks for your post. :)

Yes, I agree with your evaluation of jphelmet's post. Like you, I rather enjoy Glastonbury but I echo his criticisms of the show's structure and flow. Over the years, U2 have come up with some amazing transitions (UTEOTW- NYD, Lemon-WOWY, Please-Streets etc) but on this tour they have been few and far between, which has made the show seem disjointed and clunky at times. Between them, the band seems to have lost an eye (and an ear) for detail, both live and possibly in the studio, too.

I remember back to the last setlist complaint thread and it had people praising certain aspects and transitions of the Vertigo tour, but what was interesting is that those people who were using the Vertigo tour as an example were bashing it years earlier in previous setlist complaint threads.

I wonder if it just takes time for certain posters...:shrug:

I remember back to the last setlist complaint thread and it had people praising certain aspects and transitions of the Vertigo tour, but what was interesting is that those people who were using the Vertigo tour as an example were bashing it years earlier in previous setlist complaint threads.

Well it certainly wasn't me as I only joined this forum after the Vertigo tour.

And people say that the ones who enjoy the setlist try and ram opinions down peoples throats? some people have really lost touch with all reality, just because you dont like certain things you decide that everyone shouldnt like it and it should be changed,

why do so many people feel the need to stamp their feet so loudly with "i am not going to see the current incarnation because i dont like it" and then hope they change it just suit their own tastes? what so to hell with people who do like it? i always get slammed for defending the band, but maybe its just i get frustrated when people cant just understand that other people like different things.

Your totally spot on, look back to the last tour, the vertigo tour's setlist got slammed more often than not, the indoor stage got slagged off more often than not, funny how things change.

Wasn't me, the only transition that didnt work for me on Vertigo was Pride into Streets. Otherwise most of those setlists flowed very well.

Here is the thing, I don't like setlist complaint threads most of the time. Yes, there are things about every single setlist they have done that personally I would have done differently. All of us probably feel that way. There are songs that U2 feels they have to play for the non diehards, I understand that also. But for the most part, there was a flow to each tour and you understood why certain songs were done even if you had heard them to death. This tour is different, there is a different vibe to it in regards to the setlist and its not a good one. I didnt like setlist complaint threads on Vertigo or even really Elevation because for the most part, I thought the setlists were decent and what they were doing made sense on a certain level. So my solution then was to try not to read them. :shrug: Did I think those setlists were perfect, no. But comparing them to this tour is night and day. :)hmm: maybe they should try that live ;) ).

U2 can't make everyone happy with every decision and I understand that. Too many fans, too many songs. But as JPhelmut put very well, they were very good at making a concert flow regardless. Its not happening this tour for a lot of us. I wish it was. I do not like complaining about my favorite band, but when something is sort of frustrating and bothersome its good to get it out and realize that you are not the only one that see's it. I guess that bothers a lot of you. Sorry.

Your totally spot on, look back to the last tour, the vertigo tour's setlist got slammed more often than not, the indoor stage got slagged off more often than not, funny how things change.

The indoor stage was lack luster on Vertigo. Elevation stage with light curtains. This tour staging is probably the best they have ever done. I have made no bones about either of those things. My problem with this tour is purely the setlist pacing/choices. Setlist pacing and the tour production are two different things, I'm not sure why they are trying to be lumped together to, again, try to belittle or give the impression that people are full of crap with their opinions.

Back
Top Bottom