A Sort of Homecoming!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ifeelnumb84

War Child
This song needs to be brought back. I'm not going to do anything drastic like start a petition, but I don't understand how it has (mostly) been ignored by the band since.....1987?
If Bono can manage to nail down the lyrics to Breathe (which he probably will have to do), then why would this song present a problem?

I would dearly love for this song to make a return. I'd like to hope that the atmospheric tone of some of NLOTH and Eno's prominent role will bring UF back into the band's consideration and we'll hear songs other than Pride and Bad. Surely ASOH would have to be one of the top songs they'd consider.

This song needs to be brought back. I'm not going to do anything drastic like start a petition, but I don't understand how it has (mostly) been ignored by the band since.....1987?

To be precise, ASOH has been played twice since its last JT Tour performance on 27 June 1987 (appropriately in Dublin), both times on the Elevation Tour. On 25 August 2001, a rather ramshackle version of it was played at the first Slane gig. Then on 16 November 2001 in Oakland, a fan was pulled up on stage to play guitar. He wanted to do ASOH and the band went along with it, despite Bono having even less of a clue than he did at Slane, and that's the last time it's been done.

If Bono can manage to nail down the lyrics to Breathe (which he probably will have to do), then why would this song present a problem?

Because Bono isn't such a fan of rehearsals? Breathe is much fresher in his mind.

Oh man, that 8/25/01 performance is something else. Bono's voice was quite poor in those days, but I'll give him credit for getting...most of the lyrics right. I think they could easily top that and get it up to speed if they really wanted to, and I assume the man who sang Moment Of Surrender could do justice to it.

From listening to bootlegs I thought they were making a good fist of ASOH during the early days of the JT tour. Wonder why they dropped it? Maybe it was hard on Bono's voice? It's not like those JT shows were overly long; most were only around 90 mins which is pretty pathetic. There should have been time added to play a quality song that (at the time) was only 1 album old.

I would dearly love for this song to make a return. I'd like to hope that the atmospheric tone of some of NLOTH and Eno's prominent role will bring UF back into the band's consideration and we'll hear songs other than Pride and Bad. Surely ASOH would have to be one of the top songs they'd consider.

I'm hoping Promenade will make a The First Time type appearance

ASOH was amazing at the first Slane night, even if it was (technically) total crap.

I'm hoping Promenade will make a The First Time type appearance

top 10 u2 song for me. would be # 1 on my list for songs they have never played.

ASOH would be great and I think there is a good chance we 4-5 songs from UF this tour. Pride, and Bad the givens. Maybe ASOH and UF will get played. MLK always has a chance, not a lot rehearsal needed there.

Some non-Pride UF stuff would work really well along with songs from NLOTH. So...yeah, I would really love to see this. :pray:

where in the setlist would 1 put it though?

it might be my favourite U2 songs
but I think it didn't translate to one of their best live songs

...should be played live again, as the titletrack – The Unforgettable Fire ...I'll keep my fingers crossed, U2 will see it the same way this tour!

To be precise, ASOH has been played twice since its last JT Tour performance on 27 June 1987 (appropriately in Dublin), both times on the Elevation Tour. On 25 August 2001, a rather ramshackle version of it was played at the first Slane gig. Then on 16 November 2001 in Oakland, a fan was pulled up on stage to play guitar. He wanted to do ASOH and the band went along with it, despite Bono having even less of a clue than he did at Slane, and that's the last time it's been done.

While Bono had a hard time with the lyrics at that Oakland show, the audience had no problems at all. I love that song so much, that was quite the magical moment :drool:

While Bono had a hard time with the lyrics at that Oakland show, the audience had no problems at all. I love that song so much, that was quite the magical moment :drool:

It has to come back to as a full band live performance – its mood does fit perfectly to the songs and topics of NLOTH...

ASOH deserves to return. In fact my fantasy setlist would feature a trio of UF songs in the Boy slot- UF, Wire and ASOH.

And you know it's time to go
Through the sleet and driving snow
Across the fields of mourning
Light in the distance

And you hunger for the time
Time to heal, desire, time
And you earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

Oh, oh, oh...
On borderland we run...

I'll be there
I'll be there...
Tonight
A high road
A high road out from here

The city walls are all come down
The dust, a smoke screen all around
See faces ploughed like fields that once
Gave no resistance

And we live by the side of the road
On the side of a hill
As the valley explode
Dislocated, suffocated
The land grows weary of its own

Oh, oh, oh...on borderland we run...
And still we run
We run and don't look back
I'll be there
I'll be there
Tonight
Tonight

I'll be there tonight...I believe
I'll be there...somehow
I'll be there...tonight
Tonight

The wind will crack in winter time
This bomb-blast lightning waltz
No spoken words, just a scream...

Tonight we'll build a bridge
Across the sea and land
See the sky, the burning rain
She will die and live again
Tonight

And your heart beats so slow
Through the rain and fallen snow
Across the fields of mourning
Light's in the distance

Oh don't sorrow, no don't weep
For tonight, at last
I am coming home
I am coming home

:drool:One of my faves!!! And not played at Either JT tour show I saw--and abviously not since---I would go crazy toniught for ASOH:drool::drool:

Back
Top Bottom