2009 Setlist: Sure bets or surprises?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
So let's assume they'll play 6-7 new songs from the album. Maybe they'll play the whole album. If it's really good, I'd be happy with that. That leaves a good 12-16 older songs to be played depending on how many from the new album.
Now comes the point where the question is asked, "What will be in the setlist?"
I think Vertigo and Elevation actually brought out quite a few rarities not heard in quite some time. So, let's see what tunes might be sure bets and what might be surprise appearances.....

To me, some sure bets would be:
-Streets
-WOWY
-Pride (I'd like them to drop it)
-One
-Mysterious Ways
-Beautiful Day
-NYD (please drop it)
-SBS (pretty please drop it)
-Vertigo
-COBL
-Bullet (enough is enough)
-Bad
That's 12; combine those with 8-10 new songs and there's the setlist.

However, I'd be happy to hear:
-HMTMKMKM
-A Sort Of Homecoming
-Please
-One Tree Hill
-Stay
-Kite
Those are at least somewhat feasible to me, in that the've been played live, full band.
Of course my biggest hopes would be:
-Heartland
-So Cruel
-Exit
-Mothers Of The Disappeared
-Mofo
-Zooropa
However I don't think those stand a chance in hell.

i'm not sure what U2's plans are as far as remasters in 2009, but if they were to release Unforgettable Fire next year, i wouldn't be suprised to see them break out the title track and "Sort of Homecoming".

it would also be nice to see more Zooropa and Pop represented this time around. i remember there were early rumors in 2005 that they were rehearsing "Lemon".

So let's assume they'll play 6-7 new songs from the album. Maybe they'll play the whole album. If it's really good, I'd be happy with that. That leaves a good 12-16 older songs to be played depending on how many from the new album.
Now comes the point where the question is asked, "What will be in the setlist?"
I think Vertigo and Elevation actually brought out quite a few rarities not heard in quite some time. So, let's see what tunes might be sure bets and what might be surprise appearances.....

To me, some sure bets would be:
-Streets
-WOWY
-Pride (I'd like them to drop it)
-One
-Mysterious Ways
-Beautiful Day
-NYD (please drop it)
-SBS (pretty please drop it)
-Vertigo
-COBL
-Bullet (enough is enough)
-Bad
That's 12; combine those with 8-10 new songs and there's the setlist.

At most, they'll play 8 songs or so from the new album. I'd guess more in the 5-7 range.

From your locks list:

Locks
Where the Streets Have No Name
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
One
Pride (In the Name of Love)

Between Frequent Appearances and Locks
Bullet the Blue Sky
Sunday Bloody Sunday
With or Without You
New Year's Day
Bad
Mysterious Ways

Of course, this is just a prediction, not what any of us want. :wink:

Beautiful Day
Streets
Vertigo
COBL
One
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Elevation

...the above for sure. Every night. No doubt.

SYCMIOYO
OOTS
Walk On
Bad
WOWY
Until the end of the world
I will Follow
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
New Year's Day
Angel of Harlem
Desire

...the above will be played often.

PRIDE needs to crash and burn like the Stock Market in '29. Unless they strip it down or do something different with it. Fuck.

Also, I can't wait for the new album.

i pray that they unleash Unforgettable Fire and/or promenade on us...hearing that full band live would just be the greatest thing ever...but with promenade theres alot of production to it so it would probably sound different live..i just wanna hear bono put some passion behind it and belt it out.

I want to see any of these.

I really, really hope they give the 90s post-AB some coverage this time(as well as Ultraviolet FROM AB). And that UF title track would be magical if done right live, if it's anything like it was during the JT tour.

Seconds
Surrender
A Sort Of Homecoming
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire
Exit
Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
Lemon
Dirty Day
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Discotheque
Mofo
Please

I think of all the songs Unforgettable Fire is the one that I'd like to hear most, it would be a real surprise. Maybe they could change it a bit, like they have done with The Fly, but it would be fantastic to hear that song again, as it is one of my favourites. I was glad that they brought back Stay, Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and Into The Heart in the last 2 tours.

The Vertigo tour had a big AB influence, maybe the new tour can include more UF or Zooropa material. I agree with most of namkcuR suggestions, Surrender, A Sort of Homecoming, Wire in particular and how about Lady with the Spinning Head or Night and Day?

Well, while I'd love to see all of the tunes mentioned so far, I think that most of them are unrealistic, to say the least....."Promenade"?..."Seconds"?...."Surrender"? You got a better chance of seeing a 3 legged ballerina.....

I really hope that "Elevation", "Pride", and SBS are dropped entirely...

Sunday Bloody Sunday need not be dropped, ever.

How looooong, how long must we sing this song?

FOREVER.

The drums that changed the face of popular culture.

I can't believe the news today...

hmm, too soon to say
a lot depends on the new material and the "theme" for the concerts

Unforgettable Fire is my favourite album and might well be my favourite tour
but even back then i don't think they were able to really make those songs work comparative to the album version

I do think they will have to get rid of some of the big songs
since they basically just have too many of them now

U2's collection of songs is so massive right now it must be overwhelming to think about for them....but I think the new album will be the primary determinant in deciding which songs go where in the setlist.

Taking the new album out of consideration, I'll just say that I think The Unforgettable Fire title track is coming back, A Sort of Homecoming, In God's Country, Stay, October, 11 O Clock, Even Better than Coldplay, Please, Dirty Day, and Kite will be returning in some way...I wouldn't be surprised if any of these became regulars throughout the tour....

Then for the songs much less likely to show up regularly but do have a possibility I guess: Exit, Acrobat, Red Hill Mining Town, Heartland (oh that would be the greatest thing ever :hyper:)

and of course others but that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now...

oh and I'm really curious what happens with One Tree Hill next tour....I have a feeling they'll continue playing it only in certain places unfortunately...although by doing that they retain the magic behind One Tree Hill I think....maybe not, but it seems like that song is just so special every time it is played, and I think that's because we really haven't heard it much over the past 25 years :shrug:

Heheh... the WITS-bashing on this site is relentless, but Bono, despite his penchant for hyperbole, has only ever said some variant of "I think this is our best song" about 3 tracks: Window in the Skies, Stay, and Streets.

:D

I was just kidding. I actually like the song and enjoyed it a lot when I heard it live in Hawaii.

First: Bono is allowed to love whatever song they do and think it's their best. Cool; alot of musicians are like that. If he truly thinks WITS is one of their best, so be it.
Second: to me, that song is an outtake if I ever heard one; it's boring, unoriginal, and I hate how the video has all the old images up there to remind us all of their greatest moments, of which WITS is certainly not imo.
Anyways, surely they have forgotten about this tune by now, and we won't be hearing it live ever.

I would go crazy for an acoustic performance of Stay, which doesn't seem too unlikely.

And in my wildest dreams, Discotheque. :drool:

The need to play <falsetto>LEMON</falsetto>. Although I doubt Bono could sing it.

I'd love to see... anything... from Pop or especially Zooropa. Also, non-Bad-and-Pride TUF (although do keep Bad, please).

One thing about WITS: I hate the version they released, and the ridiculous pop current running through it. Hate it. But it's an incredible song, at least in foundation. I maintain that if they did an acoustic version of THAT baby live, a la "Stay", it would be an instant classic. I felt the same about "Staring at the Sun", and think it gained tremendous integrity in a raw, stripped form during the "PopMart" and "Elevation" tours.

Oh, and while we're at it, I want to hear "Hawkmoon", "AIWIY", "Lemon", "A Sort of Homecoming" (acoustic), "Numb", "HMTMKMKM", and a surprise cut off of "Passengers", as crazy as that may be to propose. It'd be awesome to see them re-approach something like "Babyface" or "Who's Gonna Ride?" in a new way, as well. I think they could get crafty this tour- or at least, that's my hope ;)

One thing that is sad is that we probably will never see much of POP material in future U2 tours! Look at the last tour, how many shows did they actually play a song from pop? maybe less then 5? I know they played discotheque once or twice no? either way I don't know what it is with U2's obsession of being so ashamed with POP. IMHO it was a great album and the songs worked Live so well!

WITS is a great song, that's at least what I think. Better than the majority of songs in HTDAAB, and I think that's a great album.

BTW, here's some of the older songs I would like to hear during the tour:

One Tree Hill (probably won't be played, they've said it would be hard for Bono to sing it so frequently)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
One
Window In The Skies
With Or Without You
Vertigo
City Of Blinding Lights
Mysterious Ways
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
I Will Follow
All Because Of You
Beautiful Day
Peace On Earth
Elevation
Bad
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
All I Want Is You
One Step Closer
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Love And Peace Or Else
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Kite
Walk On
Red Hill Mining Town (probably won't be played, they've said it would be hard for Bono to sing it so frequently)
In God's Country
Angel Of Harlem

Shit, that's what I call a list. :)

I have a feeling that Ultra Violet will return on the next tour.

One thing that is sad is that we probably will never see much of POP material in future U2 tours! Look at the last tour, how many shows did they actually play a song from pop? maybe less then 5? I know they played discotheque once or twice no? either way I don't know what it is with U2's obsession of being so ashamed with POP. IMHO it was a great album and the songs worked Live so well!
I really think this has become some sort of myth

the reason why U2 doesn't play much of POP is simply because there aren't any classics there
same reason why they don't play much of October and Zooropa
same reason why we only get New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday from War
why Pride and Bad are basically all we ever get from Unforgettable Fire
why we only get Desire and sometimes All I want is you from R&H
it's already a bit of a miracle they played some of Boy and none hits of Actung on the Vertigo tour

does this mean U2 hates all these albums?

I loved POPMart more than ZOO TV
but I can't really see how and why they would incorporate anything but acoustic Staring at the Sun in the setlist
Gone and Last night ... would have to to compete with songs like New year's Day, Pride, Until the end of the world etc
and even though I know these songs have been played on just about every show since 1953 they are just better songs and won't very likely be replaced by songs that, in the end, are just a bit less good

Please was just about the showpiece of POPMart
but still I can see why they won't play it again that often
its not a song that you can move about in your setlist that easily

it would be nice if they could rework some of their 90s material to make it suit whatever the new album is like
but I don't see the necessity for the band to do so

:bow:

Pop songs might get a chance, they just got looked over on Vertigo for all the Boy/AB songs.

I don't want the AB love to diminish next time, but we certainly need to see Stay, and some Pop love for Gone at the very least (I'd like Staring at the Sun, and Wake Up Dead Man back as well but doubt it).

It was fun but I hope Elevation gets retired from the everyday setlist. BD will always be there and should, as for ATYCLB Walk On deserves to continue and Kite most definitely does as well.

I don't think we'll really be able to predict which older songs they'll do, they revisited Boy a lot on Vertigo, it'd be great to see some of October once in awhile but even with the rerelease I doubt it, so perhaps UF or even R&H :drool:

Too bad Bomb tracks like MD aren't likely to go on, it seems likely that only COBL and Vertigo will, maybe some occasional love for Love & Peace.

What I'd like to see is some sort of a spot in the setlist that they reserve for rarities. Just one per night. It doesn't matter if the performance ends up being crap, but I think they'd stumble upon some songs that they might want to include in the normal setlist.

I can see them dropping Pride, actually, and most likely NYD (it was for much of the last part of Vertigo). Streets, of course, is staying, every night, and rightfully so. I think One will most likely be played every night, as well. I'll be happy with that if they include the extra verse again. Bullet needs to go... it had a great run, but, unless they can play it Zoo-style again, it's done. SBS... it should go, to, but that's not gonna happen.

What do I want to see? More 90s stuff, and more TUF stuff.
Like:
Stay (likely)
Dirty Day (very unlikely)
Discothèque (50/50 chance, I'd say)
LNOE (unlikely)
Staring at the Sun, electric (very, very unlikely)
Gone (possible, not likely)
The Fly, again (highly likely)
Zoo TV-style Mysterious Ways (unlikely)
ASOH (pretty unlikely, but possible if they remaster TUF next year)
TUF (same as ASOH)
Wire (0% chance)
Acrobat (0% chance)

Other songs, from different eras:
Electrical Storm (25% chance, I'd say)
Window in the Skies (50/50)
COBL (75%)
Kite (50%)
One Tree Hill (likely if they go to NZ again)

I just wish they'd stop playing fucking Elevation already. Not only is it U2's worst song in their live repertoire, it might be one of the worst live songs ever, despite the all too obvious pandering to the crowd participation with the woo-oo's.

And while I'd love to see them bring MOFO back, I really can't see them playing it anywhere but the opening of the set, and we all know that'll be reserved for a song from the new album. But Please, Gone and LNOE should be rotating staples by now, who knows why they aren't. And Ultraviolet would make a really great once-every-4th-or-5th show treat in the encores.

And someone mentioned a Passengers treat. I would LOVE Your Blue Room live. And while it's highly unlikely/ guaranteed not to happen, it would be interesting to see what they would do on tour if Eno and/or Lanois goes out with them. That could blow open the song selection.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom