2009 Setlist: Sure bets or surprises?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so sure that they will play a lot of POP and ZOOROPA.... some OCTOBER and UNFORGETTABLE FIRE....

Vertigo tour was very BOY/Achtung BABY oriented.... the next tour will be POP again!!!!

MOFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:rockon:

MOFO would be really a surprise! But yes, would like to hear that again. And some other Pop songs too (Gone esp.)

I think the problem with playing songs from POP and even more Zooropa live is that it would really only work when they play several songs in a row
like they had a wee Boy and Achtung Baby section during Vertigo
the songs dont really mesh well with the rest of their material
(then again maybe with the new album it will work
who knows)

now,
first of all I am not a big fan of a repeat of the Vertigo concept of well defined seperate sections of songs
secondly, it worked for Vertigo because they did it with their debut album and with one of their 2 most famous albums (Joshua Tree always will have sufficient coverage in their shows anyway)
I can't really think of a reason why they would do it with Zooropa and POP (even though Zooropa is in my top 3 fav U2 albums)

All I want to see is Streets done the classic way opening with the red background and the lights coming on in the beginning :drool: Vertigo was the first tour I saw and that was such a disappointment!!

And I do agree- I could live without Pride and BTBS for sure.

I don't think of Streets as a disappointment from Vertigo tour. The Flags didn't bother me and the music and vocals were strong. The introduction was a bit cheesed up, but the visuals didn't have anything to do with it. I prefer the psalm introduction from Elevation tour, but the red isn't a must for me.

I think the decisions U2 make for the upcoming tour depend a lot on the style of the new album. If it is a continuation of the last 2 albums (conservative rock) then the setlists may as well be a sure bets one. If the album is experimental then they might extend that into the setlists. I think this would be perfect in that it would give U2 an excuse (if they ever needed one) to shake things up. They could challenge themselves, and us as well, by not playing Streets, Pride, One, WOWY etc... every night. If the new album is brave then the setlists can be brave too.

I think the decisions U2 make for the upcoming tour depend a lot on the style of the new album. If it is a continuation of the last 2 albums (conservative rock) then the setlists may as well be a sure bets one. If the album is experimental then they might extend that into the setlists. I think this would be perfect in that it would give U2 an excuse (if they ever needed one) to shake things up. They could challenge themselves, and us as well, by not playing Streets, Pride, One, WOWY etc... every night. If the new album is brave then the setlists can be brave too.

kind of like the brave setlists after achtung baby came out?

i understand your point, but i don't think u2 will ever get really "brave" on their setlists. with u2's history its best to expect the norm as far a setlists, and then when they pull out a handful of rare ones (the ocean, an cat dubh-into the heart, gloria) like on vertigo it will seem like they are mixing it up a lot.

i think they should stop playing the big anthems for a while...not that i dislike them

but i wouldn't ask for refund if they drop Streets for A Sort Of Homecoming

unless they inject some fresh energy to the big ones, blowing up the song structures, new arangements, (as they did or wanted to during Popmart, remember that Streets wasn't in the set until the last rehearsals when HowieB found that loop thing)

they should go with for the less known tracks, it would be very courageaous if they skipped a few, giving the oldest fans some world premieres, some "icons" from UF, AB to Pop....if the new material is that strong then it could make one more Tour to be remembered

kind of like the brave setlists after achtung baby came out?

i understand your point, but i don't think u2 will ever get really "brave" on their setlists. with u2's history its best to expect the norm as far a setlists, and then when they pull out a handful of rare ones (the ocean, an cat dubh-into the heart, gloria) like on vertigo it will seem like they are mixing it up a lot.

Dunno...opening every Zoo TV show with 8 straight songs from Achtung Baby was pretty brave...

I agree with the previous post -- if this album really changes things up for U2, I could see a braver set list. But keep in mind Zoo TV came after a long period of silence from U2, when Bono could come out in black leather and everyone could go "WTF". I haven't seen a huge image change from the boys, so I'm willing to bet we won't see anything as crazy innovative as AB/Zoo TV was...

Dunno...opening every Zoo TV show with 8 straight songs from Achtung Baby was pretty brave...

I agree with the previous post -- if this album really changes things up for U2, I could see a braver set list. But keep in mind Zoo TV came after a long period of silence from U2, when Bono could come out in black leather and everyone could go "WTF". I haven't seen a huge image change from the boys, so I'm willing to bet we won't see anything as crazy innovative as AB/Zoo TV was...

yeah in that sense it was very brave with the image change, and whole new direction. the setlist was not, in the sense we were talking about, really brave. having the identical setlist for just about every single show with the news songs, and just the biggest hits was not doing something really different. so the new direction did not inspire them to go back and play really rare or different songs, as we were discussing before.

now if your switching the discussion to production and image of the band then you are right - it will never be matched. that was certainly brave, the setlists were not.

this is interesting....The band's image really hasn't changed much....especially if we consider the latter half of the 5th leg of Vertigo Tour....but does this really suggest anything? And, maybe there is going to be an image change...in terms of stage image....:hmm:

Instead of :

Bullet the Blue Sky
With or Without You
I Will Follow
New Years Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday

Id rather hear:

Surrender
God Pt II
Lemon
Numb
Discotheque(Vertigo Tour Version)

The Zoo TV setlist was a brave move. But then tour suffered from 'static setlist syndrone' as it progressed so the bravery diminished after the first leg.

On the other hand, for the PopMart tour they started out with a setlist that was 'front loaded' with new songs. It didn't work out so well since the Pop material was weaker compared to Achtung Baby.

I'd like to see them do it again. But even more I'd prefer them to incorporate more changes from one night to the next.

Why not an acoustic version of Pride? I think this could sound pretty awesome...just Bono and Edge out on a B-stage, with a slowed tempo, Bono maybe singing it a bit more pleadingly than boisterously. It could be a great way to breath new life into what I agree has become a bit of a tired live song.

Couldn't agree more that Bullet needs to be dropped post-haste. You talk about older tracks being momentum killers in a show --- BTBS was the universal bathroom break song all of the last tour. Die-hard fans are tired of it, casual fans don't really know it, so apparently the only one that loves it is Paul McGuinness.

If a lot of new songs aren't played, what I'd at least like to see is a bit more variety in the placement of songs. Try putting 'One' back near the start of the show, or maybe save Beautiful Day or Vertigo for the encores, or eliminate the 'heart of darkness' set that has featured so prominently in the last several tours.

"BTBS was the universal bathroom break song of the last tour."

Sorry pal, you don't know what your talking about. Older fans love it and newer fans like it for the sheer intensity. To call Bullet The Blue Sky a "bathroom break" song is blasphemy of the highest order...well, maybe not the highest but it ranks up there...it's like if someone called Bad "that sappy ballad". Really, of all the songs that U2 have done you could surely pick a better "bathroom break" song...say VERTIGO or ALL BECAUSE OF YOU for example.

It was a patch on its former self. Just when you know the song should explode with Edge's solo, due to way he played that solo it went kind of 'flat'.

There's only so many times you can rework one song. It should be dropped.

Dropped or not you just cannot call it a "bathroom break" song. Why?
BECAUSE IT ISN'T!!!!!!!

"One" was the only track I yawned at every time it made an appearance during the last tour...so...

I dont take bathroom breaks during a U2 show. But if I did on the last tour it would have been Bullet! ;)

Seriously, the song needs to take a break for a tour. Unfortunately it probably wont. Its Paul M's favorite U2 song supposedly.

Bullet must go- Edge ruined it with a flat solo and Bono cannot sing it with the same intensity. SBS must go too and Pride.

Songs that must Go PLLEEEEASSSSEEE!!!

-Bullet the Blue Sky (unless it's the ZOOTV Version w/ that much passion, no)
-Pride (please stop....)
-I Still Haven't Found (this has never done it for me live, PopMart was great into AIWIY)

Traditional "Concrete" Songs I hope stay:
-One (if Bono doesn't do a 50 minute speech before it)
-With or Without You (These 2 are for personal reasons; just got engaged and would love to hear them live with my fiancee)
-UTEOTW (never leave us...)
-Mysterious Ways (always fun)
-Sunday Bloody Sunday (last tour it sucked b/c of Bono's preaching, just do a straight through performance ala Under a Bloody Red Sky//1st leg Elevation?)

Other songs I hope make it:
-The Fly
-All I Want is You
-I will Follow (been to almost 10 U2 shows...NEVER heard this live)
-Stay (everynight, please)
-Bad (can never go wrong with it)

From the Last Album:
-COBL (hope it stays on the list....)
-Vertigo (this song is amazing live, can't wait to hear it with it not being the "big" song from the last album, not starting the show or right in the beginning).

Not from the last album:
-Sometimes (please dont zzzzz......although I need a alcohol break, so if its right in the middle of the show....maybe)

ON LAST NOTE: Bring back the middle of the set acoustic performances! Sometimes they aren't that great but they always have great emotion! Maybe if doing a two-night in Miami, for example, do it only one of the nights.

SURE BETS

Streets, One, Vertigo and Beautiful Day.

MOST LIKELY

Pride, Bullet

SURPRISES

The 3 or 4 songs they dust off and play all the time. Assume UF show be the Boy this time around and hope old favorites come back to life like WOWY.

However, I'd be happy to hear:
-HMTMKMKM
-A Sort Of Homecoming
-Please
-One Tree Hill
-Stay
-Kite
Those are at least somewhat feasible to me, in that the've been played live, full band.
Of course my biggest hopes would be:
-Heartland
-So Cruel
-Exit
-Mothers Of The Disappeared
-Mofo
-Zooropa
However I don't think those stand a chance in hell.
Some of these ARE pretty feasible. They haven't played HMTMKMKM live in ages, and Kite live again...:drool::drool::drool:
I do want to hear some of the weirder ones live, though.
Window in the Skies had BETTER be a lock. Bono said it "might be U2's best song."
DO. WANT.
:drool::drool::drool:

I would predict that of the new songs, we'll hear:

NLOTH
Magnificent
MOS
Crazy
Breathe
Boots
possibly UC
that's 7 tunes....

I don't think we'll hear
Cedars
WAS
Fez (I know everyone wants to hear it, but I seriously doubt they'll play it. Maybe it will be the song played over the PA becfore they come on)....
SUC

So 7 tunes plus at least 15 old tunes....

IMO, sure bets are still:

Streets
WOWY
Pride
Vertigo
BD
COBL
One
that's another 7....that leaves 7-8 "mystery" songs.......

I vote for

Please
HMTMKMKM
ASOH
UTEOTW
+ ?

my top few U2 songs:

Streets
Until the end...
Mysterious Ways
The Fly
Zooropa :drool:
Lemon

^^^Those are like my favorite songs and I would love U2 to play everyone of them (perhaps a reworked version of the fly!) and .... ZOOROPA LIVE!!! (but I doubt that will ever happen)
I actually think they will play Fez live, I have a feeling...Im actually not sure that NLOTH will be played live because bono might not be able to do the vocals every night. other than that from the new album, I think definitely:
Magnificent, boots, moment of surrender, Unknown Caller, Breathe, and Crazy. (we might see WAS acoustic, simmilar to the way they did The First Time on Vertigo)

Back
Top Bottom