Y so Much Achtung

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More likely it's remaster.

Back in 2009, they played The Unforgettable Fire live. Wa hey, they had the UF remaster out.
After that year, they stopped playing it.
Now in 2011...Wa hey! Suddenly EBTTRT opens the show, and The Fly is back in the setlist outta nowhere, and now we've 4 AB songs opening the show. And Zooropa and Stay are being played on a nightly basis. You'd al-most think they have a remaster coming up....

Unforgettable fire and MLK didn't exactly disappear right after the UF remaster came out.

and you then go on to make other arguments, when this is the one that makes easily the most sense?

you were so close.

Ummm..

More likely it's Glastonbury.

The setlist shuffle and the cramming of 4 or 5 AB songs didn't happen until 2 shows before that performance.

Yeah.

Unforgettable fire and MLK didn't exactly disappear right after the UF remaster came out.

Yet they're not being played now are they?

MLK got a new meaning with the whole Aung San Suu Kyi thing, but now she's free that reason dissapeared too.

Ugh, I feel like you're being stubborn just for the sake of making an argument.

Whatevs.

No one
No one is blinder
Than (s)he
Who will not see.

:sigh:

This thread has actually gotten even more inane after seeing it live for myself. Those opening four tracks have incredible momentum, they sound fresh and fun (especially EBTTRT, which was reworked for the better), and the crowd eats them up.

Y not play more Achtung?

More likely it's remaster.

Back in 2009, they played The Unforgettable Fire live. Wa hey, they had the UF remaster out.
After that year, they stopped playing it.
Now in 2011...Wa hey! Suddenly EBTTRT opens the show, and The Fly is back in the setlist outta nowhere, and now we've 4 AB songs opening the show. And Zooropa and Stay are being played on a nightly basis. You'd al-most think they have a remaster coming up....

There is a reason Paul M is considered the 5th member of the band....PR>
Too bad they didnt take a risk and try to incorporate some new music into the tour since they been playing for 3 years on the road. THis is a money machine more then a creative machine.

Roger Waters THe Wall tour has better light show then the claw IMO and he has no problem playing the entire album without one other Floyd song being played. It is a tour of an album and is adverised and promoted as such.
U2 will probably start using the album rotation next tour to keep folks interested as we kow realize the new songs they make will never have the lasting power of early songs. It just part of aging in the world of music.

Hell having balls would be to play a song from SPiderman!!!!!:doh:

Y so Much Achtung?

Because we all creamed our pants last night listening to four Achtung Baby opening tracks in Chicago.

And Bono can wear his leather again.

This thread has actually gotten even more inane after seeing it live for myself. Those opening four tracks have incredible momentum, they sound fresh and fun (especially EBTTRT, which was reworked for the better), and the crowd eats them up.

Y not play more Achtung?
My thoughts exactly. :applaud:

I just wanna say how under appreciated NLOTH is. I listened to the whole thing through yesterday I think, and although it loses steam very quickly as it progresses, Magnificent, MOS, and UC are really some of their best work. It could be Edge's best album, what with the slide guitar and what-not. Even if they're no longer promoting the album, they should tour it because the songs are great.

I just wanna say how under appreciated NLOTH is. I listened to the whole thing through yesterday I think, and although it loses steam very quickly as it progresses, Magnificent, MOS, and UC are really some of their best work. It could be Edge's best album, what with the slide guitar and what-not. Even if they're no longer promoting the album, they should tour it because the songs are great.

I agree with you. NLOTH has some wonderful songs. But some of them, live, put people to sleep.

If they took out something like the song "Stay" or "Miss Sarejvo" and perhaps replaced it with the new title track or "Breathe", I think you have a kick a$$ setlist.

Bono, I hope you're reading.

I hope not, too, Stay is fantastic.

Also, if he read this and realized how bat-shit insane his "fans" are he might grow too depressed to leave his mansion(s).

Yes, Stay is beautiful..especially w/ just an accoustic guitar and vocals.
But, if you're going to do that, why not Staring at the Sun or Desire?

how many people out of 80,000 at a show would :drool: at hearing accoustic Desire instead of Stay?

My guess is well over 80%....just sayin'

Yes, Stay is beautiful..especially w/ just an accoustic guitar and vocals.
But, if you're going to do that, why not Staring at the Sun or Desire?

how many people out of 80,000 at a show would :drool: at hearing accoustic Desire instead of Stay?

My guess is well over 80%....just sayin'

I don't really know, I just know that Stay is gorgeous and I'm thrilled I got to hear it once again.

Acoustic Desire would probably not do it for me.

And, maybe they like performing Stay more than they do Staring at the Sun....or Desire....not that I see any real correlation or connection here.

But this is just one man's opinion. Even if I'm awesome and whatnot.

I don't think even 1% would :drool: over acoustic Desire if electric Desire were an option.

agreed, but they've done accoustic Desire, so it's in the so called repertoire

And I think half the reason they do an accoustic or two midway through the show is to give Larry a break...wrist and back issues have been an issue in the past.

After reading that u2 are going to re release Achtung it now makes sense why usa 2 tour is featuring so much. Guess trying to promote the next venture vs letting us into the new songs....... Greatest hits greatest promotions......

Would prefer new songs IMO

:hmm:

I would have preferred much more Achtung. I mean, really try to play more rarely played songs: No "Love is Blindness"; they shoulda kept "Ultraviolet" and "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World". That said, it was nice to finally hear "The Fly" live.

I think the all out embrace of things from 1992 and 1991 is cool but I really would have preferred to hear new songs. As a dedicated fan, not only was I at the original shows but have listened to the bootlegs as well and heard the war horses on many DVDs.

The songs that most interested me in 2009 were all the new ones. But as I look around not many bands are releasing new music. Soundgarden, the Pixies and the Cult are a few bands who do not even pretend to record music at the moment. They are touring acts who do not even feign new music.

That being said, 360 2011 is cool for a number of reasons including Zooropa and some rarities but not a creative highlight. I would have loved to hear the European tour tracks such as North Star, Glasto, EBW and Boy.

I would have loved to hear the European tour tracks such as North Star, Glasto, EBW and Boy.
Yeah...I love the current setlist, but it would have been nice to have Stay rotating with a "new song" spot. Plus, EBW needs another chance live...such a good song. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom