Willie Williams | Innovative Designs Staging for upcoming Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that is my #1 wish...why is it a mandate that there has to be over-the-top superfluous effects and the latest and greatest in hardware, software and men's wear? U2 has been there, done that. Why can't it just be 4 guys with instruments and (obviously) an underworld to support them? give me a JT tour again, or at most an elevation tour.

Cause that's what other artists do. If I want to have fun and listen to great music, I'll go to an Aerosmith, R.E.M., etc. concert (two of my favorite bands, by the way. I've seen them live and it's AMAZING.) But with U2, I do those things and a lot more. You feel completely different in front of that giant screen, those visuals. It's just unique. And that's why ZooTV and Popmart are the 2 best tours ever and that's why I want to see U2 pushing the limits again. (I don't want in no way Zoo, Part II!) They had their time to rest, now it's time to do something new again.

im really hoping for something along the lines of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, minus the dead fish of course. think how cool it would be if the band landed onstage in the Great Glass Elevator and all of the lighting was controlled by Oompa Loompas? We could all enjoy snacking on rivers of chocolate the flowed out into the crowd as we watched our favorite band, complete with guyliner, take stage and play our favorite songs with a cherry on top.

If so, some of this stuff - specially the thechnology - has already been testes in the last Madonna's Sticky & Sweet Tour. But there are reports of technology malfunctions and, in some nights, the "flexible-screens" didn't want to work or appeared with black holes in the images.

whether or not people understood the "message" or "point" of what the Popmart tour was, or even if they remotely liked it is kind of irrelevant because it was still amazingly done, impressive, and groundbreaking.

If in some weird Back to the Future-esque moment U2 could somehow take the technology of Popmart back to the 90's and combind it with the message and multimedia spectacular that was ZooTV...they would have easily of gone down in history for having the greatest rock show ever. They still might, but I'm just saying. I think the greatness of the Popmart tour was overshadowed by a convoluted message/theme, questionable performances and songs that didn't quite support or go along with the spectacular visuals. Let us not forget that it took approx. $1M a day...a DAY....to put on that tour. WOW! is all I can say.

That being said, I hope they don't try to replicate that tour...and I don't think they will. I hope they fall somewhere in between Elevation and Vertigo Stadium tour setup. Thats where U2 are at their best IMO. Its where the music and the visuals gel and compliment each other as opposed to overpowering one another.

I believe that was quarter of a million a day. Expensive, but the very reason it failed because it was the obvious "upgrade" of the Zoo TV but without the goods (the message, the performances, the quality of the new songs). Eventually the "bigger is better" shtick gets old.

For my two cents, I would like to see U2 try to take Metallicas middle of the venue stage and try to put it in the middle of a stadium, that way there is massive surface area for front row tickets, and you can never really be in the back of the stadium...Im just going under the assumption of stadiums only this tour

And metallica did something really cool....NO VIDEO SCREENS.....and I didnt really even notice the lack of them, because I was amazed just watching the band and listening to the music. Not to mention they had the cleanest loudest pa I have seen in years, not that overdriven PA u2 had on vertigo tour

There going to have to re-invent the stadium show, and this would be a good way to try it.

actually, no sarcasm. I was underwhelmed. The light curtain was pretty boring, I thought. And it malfunctioned at least once per show. (Of the 16 shows I saw) After Popmart and Elevation Tour, it was just ehhh for me.

There aren't too many options when you're want people behind the stage to have a good view. Selling seats only in front gives many more options, such as Willie Williams' award-winning design for the George Michael tour, which used a curtain that melded into the stage.

Cause that's what other artists do. If I want to have fun and listen to great music, I'll go to an Aerosmith, R.E.M., etc. concert (two of my favorite bands, by the way. I've seen them live and it's AMAZING.) But with U2, I do those things and a lot more. You feel completely different in front of that giant screen, those visuals. It's just unique. And that's why ZooTV and Popmart are the 2 best tours ever and that's why I want to see U2 pushing the limits again. (I don't want in no way Zoo, Part II!) They had their time to rest, now it's time to do something new again.

I understand your point and I agree with it...I loved Zoo TV and all of its asthetic (sp?) excesses, Popmart...well, not so much, but I appreciated the massive visual show. I loved the elevation and vertigo presentations as well, in fact elevation was my favorite tour. I have no doubt that the Horizon tour will be an extravagant and brilliant show, and I have no doubt that I will love every minute of it.

But in response to your first sentence, why can't U2 do it as well? (the simple show that is.) Where is the rule that says U2 is locked into the over-the-top craziness? What if, just what if, just for once the music spoke for itself? It comes down to taste, obviously, and I would never hint that this anything other than opinion...but you cite good examples of REM and Aerosmith. I submit another is Pearl Jam. Their last tour (2008) was mind-blowing with almost zero visuals, special effects, etc.

Obviously, some folks prefer the lavishness, some prefer the minimalist. I like both. All I'm saying is for the past four world tours, U2 has bombarded us with the most incredible displays of performance technology imaginable (elevation to a lesser extent), and done it brilliantly. What about a radically different approach now, where the music IS the special effect? At the very least, the setlists could be more dynamic and less predictable, bono's "bonoisms" would not be so tied-into whatever is on screen at the moment and would not be so scripted/forced, there could be more acoustic versions, etc.

Finally, as far as overall legacy is concerned, I think U2 has much more to gain by taking a less is more approach for the horizon tour. Twenty years from now, the technological craziness of the zoo tv, popmart, elevation, vertigo and (presumably) horizon tours might blend together in the collective memory. A completely old school, four guys playing the club kind of tour might really stand out as a gem and separate it from the others.

Whatever U think of the man or his music, George Michael's recent tour was a visual marvel.... youtube it....

But in response to your first sentence, why can't U2 do it as well? (the simple show that is.) Where is the rule that says U2 is locked into the over-the-top craziness? What if, just what if, just for once the music spoke for itself? It comes down to taste, obviously, and I would never hint that this anything other than opinion...but you cite good examples of REM and Aerosmith. I submit another is Pearl Jam. Their last tour (2008) was mind-blowing with almost zero visuals, special effects, etc.

Finally, as far as overall legacy is concerned, I think U2 has much more to gain by taking a less is more approach for the horizon tour. Twenty years from now, the technological craziness of the zoo tv, popmart, elevation, vertigo and (presumably) horizon tours might blend together in the collective memory. A completely old school, four guys playing the club kind of tour might really stand out as a gem and separate it from the others.

Oh, you're right, I mean, the Slane concert, I wasn't there of course, but just watching the DVD is incredilble. It is, as you said, mind-blowing.
The problem to me is that they've done already two times (to me Vertigo was really beautiful, but it wasn't really that far from Elevation.) By the way, I love Elevation, but if you keep doing that kinda show in the end it looks that you're doing the same tour forever. And as time passes, I feel that the chances that we'll see more "Elevation Tour style" tours will increase. That's why I prefer the Horizon to be something really different using all new visuals and etc. (But as I said, I don't want in no way Zoo, Pt. 2)

I really think this time around jetpacks need to be involved :hmm:
:love: it could be the rocketeer tour or something, with the word "rock" in a different colour or something. sorry, i just saw that movie again for the first time in years :reject:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, i really don't care how the stage is set up, whether it's elaborate or not. as long as there's a ginormous screen so those of us in the nosebleeds can see them, i'm cool :up:

I believe that was quarter of a million a day. Expensive, but the very reason it failed because it was the obvious "upgrade" of the Zoo TV but without the goods (the message, the performances, the quality of the new songs). Eventually the "bigger is better" shtick gets old.

Looks like we were BOTH wrong:

Defending U2’s PopMart* : U2 Interference - U2 Fans, Pop Culture Webzine, & More

Shows couldn’t be cancelled or postponed. With a tour costing £400,000 (approximately $709,000) a day—even when the band wasn’t performing—canceling even 10 shows to rehearse would cost the band £4 million (approx. $7.09 million) in costs alone. Doubled up with the lucrative deal with promoters, and the costs of canceling each show would come to up to £10 million (approx. $17.7 million). In actual, and real terms, losing even ten shows may cost them up to £14 million (approx. $24.8 million).

but I was closer :D

If the music is good the visuals really dont matter although im sure they will be more then just 4 people on a stage. What made ZooTV wasnt really the visuals it was the music combined with visuals that fit the theme. Why didnt Popmart do as well because the music was not as good according to most people and thats what in the end people go to concerts for....music.

If the music is good the visuals really dont matter although im sure they will be more then just 4 people on a stage. What made ZooTV wasnt really the visuals it was the music combined with visuals that fit the theme. Why didnt Popmart do as well because the music was not as good according to most people and thats what in the end people go to concerts for....music.
Totally disagreed. What distinguishes U2 from many other rock bands is the concept: concert/music show vs spectacle. U2 definitely belongs to the second part since the 90's, even on the more minimalist Elevation Tour.

Visual side is important, maybe even more than the music side because music itself is recognition of symbols, images and icons (linguistic signs) in every people's mind.
If you combine the music sign with the visual ones, you'll get an even richer concept.

Totally disagreed. What distinguishes U2 from many other rock bands is the concept: concert/music show vs spectacle. U2 definitely belongs to the second part since the 90's, even on the more minimalist Elevation Tour.

Visual side is important, maybe even more than the music side because music itself is recognition of symbols, images and icons (linguistic signs) in every people's mind.
If you combine the music sign with the visual ones, you'll get an even richer concept.

Yes.

U2 are synonymous with that. People expect more from them. They've helped turn the live show into a spectacle, that is still about the music...but also about the live experience. I think it would be naive to think otherwise considering how much time, effort, and MONEY go into their shows.

What I really would like to see are a lot of walking bridges a few meters above the audience, covering a big part of the arena.

i hate to burst your bubble, but the LED curtain was being used by japanese artist before u2 adopted it and it was far more impressive and utilized to the fullest. all u2 did did was roll theirs up and down from the ceiling. even the LED rimming isn't unique. the jpop artist had LED stage floors.
now don't get me wrong. i loved the stage setup/design, especially LED tech being used so much, but please don't make it out to look like u2 was being innovative when they were copying something already done. even the outdoor Vertigo tour was just an updated POPMART.
now POPMART's use of the LED tech was innovative. ZOO TV's use of giant vidiwalls was innovative.

When I mentioned innovative for U2, I meant that it was new to them, a concept they hadn't explored within their shows and stage setups, not inclusive to anyone who had used it before. It's cool to know others before them were into the technology, but I was simply referencing and comparing U2 to U2. I don't like to use terms like innovative that open up this idea that U2 are the first to do this and the first to do that. But Vertigo had a lot of firsts for U2, and my point being they tried to expand their visibility with the semi-transparent idea of the led curtains. I thought it was smart on their part to use in the arena setting, where a wall would easily reduce the number of quality seats. That's good for the viewer and financially for all parties- more viewable seats, happier fans, more revenues, cooler visuals and new imagery.

to some extend (maybe a lot), the stage setup and design is bound by the technology available from the lighting and industrial design vendors I listed in my original post.

What I'd like this thread to become is:
thoughts on U2's direction for this next tour
news on any new technological advances with stage design that U2 would employ
cool ideas and reaction from other Saco / Barco / Innovative Designs based tours
hints from Willie himself

:wave:

I think anything outside of the rather straight-forward Elevation and Vertigo tours will work.

Personally, the stage and the video screens aren't going to matter, that stuff is the gimmick in the first place (not that they aren't cool gimmicks) but what U2 needs is a brilliant concept.

And also Bono shines when he is able to be more theatric, actually perform rather than merely sing.

So I think concerning the tidbits about Bono writing from certain 'character' vantage points on the album we are going to see some more role play, theatrics. Wrap the concept around the whole set but run a strong narrative through the new material.

People generally think of ZooTv, they think of video screens and an onslaught of images but I am thinking more about the theatrics with The Fly, Mirrorball Man, Macphisto, allowing for a stage performance while the song performance is going on, with the staging and video screens being 'added on' to the concept rather than the concept itself.

to some extend (maybe a lot), the stage setup and design is bound by the technology available from the lighting and industrial design vendors I listed in my original post.

What I'd like this thread to become is:
thoughts on U2's direction for this next tour
news on any new technological advances with stage design that U2 would employ
cool ideas and reaction from other Saco / Barco / Innovative Designs based tours
hints from Willie himself

:wave:

what u2 might do is try to use the new OLED technology on a large scale. it's the new step in home television design, but hasn't gotten to large sized tv's yet(as far as i know). not mention it is hella expensive. i checked on a 19" OLED tv from sony and the price was $3,000., but the picture was amazing. no lcd television can touch it.

I think they will use the LEDs in a three-dimensional way - like Nin Inch Nail did on their last tour. That's just the next step and U2 have flirt with that on the indoor leg of the Vertigo tour.
Also possible: that Corbijn gets more involved in stage design or the visual art, like films in background etc. like he did with Depeche Mode and Herbert Grönemeyer.
He's obvious playing a big part with this realease (Film, Book, Magazine, Cover etc.) -

More than whatever pretty light screens they decide to use this tour, I really think they should go for a "in-the-round" stage set up in the center of an arena or stadium this time around. It can be done well as bands like Metallica have shown in the past and it would give more fans a better view.

T.B.

Exactly, it lifts the performance up even higher if you do it well.

And besides that 10 years on people are still talking about Popmart and the bigscreen. It did enhance the experience by a lot i can't see why people won't accept that.

Back
Top Bottom