Will there be a promo tour this time ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's just it, though. When U2 was at its prime in the late '80s and early '90s, they never appeared on something as commercial as a talk show or SNL. The band could afford to be more reclusive and hard to get. They didn't have to try. While I totally understand a band like The Cure having to do these things, U2 doesn't have to and shouldn't. But, whatever.... I don't really care.

This is revisionist and bullshit... They may not have done a lot of TV spots in the late 80's but they had a movie in the theater and had their poster and trailers that were shown all over the place. In the 90's they did MTV music awards, this was when videos were shown and their videos were everywhere, they did interviews, etc...

MTV and VH1 stopped playing videos promotion changed...

The medium may have changed but you're being completely revisionist if you don't think U2 tried back then...

That's just it, though. When U2 was at its prime in the late '80s and early '90s, they never appeared on something as commercial as a talk show or SNL. The band could afford to be more reclusive and hard to get. They didn't have to try. While I totally understand a band like The Cure having to do these things, U2 doesn't have to and shouldn't. But, whatever.... I don't really care.

Bull. Why is SNL more "commercial" than MTV? During ZooTV, they were practically married to MTV. In the early 80s, they did The Tomorrow Show and others. What's more commercial than making a movie of yourselves and releasing it in theaters (no, not U23D..R&H)?

The industry has changed. The actions of 80s and 90s U2 shouldn't be held on a pedastal as if they were entirely of the band's own decision.

I'm actually very impressed that they've gone for so much more of a low-key route for NLOTH's hype. I love it. I also recognize that it's hard to do in the current industry.

This is revisionist and bullshit... They may not have done a lot of TV spots in the late 80's but they had a movie in the theater and had their poster and trailers that were shown all over the place. In the 90's they did MTV music awards, this was when videos were shown and their videos were everywhere, they did interviews, etc...

MTV and VH1 stopped playing videos promotion changed...

The medium may have changed but you're being completely revisionist if you don't think U2 tried back then...

Exactly! Nobody listens to the radio anymore, and nobody sees music videos anymore. I don't see any point in even MAKING a music video anymore. The only way to promote a new album is via the internet, or getting onto these television programs. If U2 goes on SNL, people are gonna see it and think "oooh U2 have a new album? I'll have to check it out." If they don't, somebody else will go on SNL in their place and benefit from that promotion.

Exactly! Nobody listens to the radio anymore, and nobody sees music videos anymore. I don't see any point in even MAKING a music video anymore. The only way to promote a new album is via the internet, or getting onto these television programs. If U2 goes on SNL, people are gonna see it and think "oooh U2 have a new album? I'll have to check it out." If they don't, somebody else will go on SNL in their place and benefit from that promotion.

Saying no one watches music videos any more makes no sense, more people probably watch them now on youtube than ever before :shrug:

Why are people stressing about U2 doing promotional stuff? There is plenty of time for them do do TV Radio etc in the next month ready for the album coming out, its being sorted out. Now deep breath and relax!:applaud:

Saying no one watches music videos any more makes no sense, more people probably watch them now on youtube than ever before :shrug:

Exactly! I get no music channels on Terrestial TV anymore now TOTP has been cancelled! :madwife: I rely on Youtube to see music videos :flirt:

Album Promotion: Will they do another Big free Gig like Brooklyn Bridge?

With "All the you can´t leave behind", the guys played a rooftop concert in London. For HTDAAB they did a huge concert under the brooklyn bridge in NYC.

So what do you think. Is something else like this on the Horizon? I´ve heard about a secret show and some media in germany meant that it´s for a small venue. But probably they also plan something like NYC in 2004. :hmm:

They'll do secret shows and all that Irving Plaza :drool: But Brooklyn Bridge type they already did it so I don't think they drive around in a pickup truck this time. :D

The Irving Plaza NY show from 2000 is awesome. Theyre doing alot of promo work, havent heard of a mini concert (8+ songs) yet tho. Hope they do.

I think the Good Morning America thing on March 6 will be serving that purpose (at least on the US East Coast) this time...

Back
Top Bottom