Will there be a promo tour this time ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look... usually I don't like when people say that the album will flop with without giving a reason or presenting a decent argument. But what the hell... BoyOnTheHorizon doesn't like it... leave it that way.

He's being repetitive and it's kinda annoying... but that's his problem... he's the one that waited for years and now won't be enjoying. Why you guys care so much anyway. He doesn't like, I'm fine with it.

I believe that everyone can declare that. Nobody needs to love the album just because it's U2. But the thing is I think the album isn't out yet.

he's got ultra dry humour

Someone must be a newbie. :wink:

Look, I've been around here long enough to know to reserve judgement on any new album until I have the damn thing in my hands/ipod, insert weapon of choice here, and listen to it. I'm not basing anything on song titles, or first singles, etc. I'm just going to relax and hope for the best March 3rd.

Someone must be a newbie. :wink:

Look, I've been around here long enough to know to reserve judgement on any new album until I have the damn thing in my hands/ipod, insert weapon of choice here, and listen to it. I'm not basing anything on song titles, or first singles, etc. I'm just going to relax and hope for the best March 3rd.

exactomundo!

I believe that everyone can declare that. Nobody needs to love the album just because it's U2. But the thing is I think the album isn't out yet.

I personally think that the album will be great. What I meant was that we should not worry about people that say that the album is gonna flop. After all, they are the ones not enjoying the moment. :up:

Oh, so i'm annoying? Thanx, but no thanx. I thought that we are here to discuss, so i didn't like Boots and every time i think this is relevant for any discussion i will say it again, the same way you people who like the song so much have repeated this 1000 times... i see no problem with that.

I yes, i was a bit "acid" when i said the flop thing, but i have a real sense that Boots is not gonna become a hit, the more people i show the song the more convinced i am. And if the first single don't go very well there is a big chance that the album may not be a success; these days everybody knows how difficult is to have a hit album, and the sales numbers are very very low.
But this won't matter much to me if the album is good. I still have great expectations about Horizon, though not as great as before the first single.

Oh, so i'm annoying? Thanx, but no thanx. I thought that we are here to discuss, so i didn't like Boots and every time i think this is relevant for any discussion i will say it again, the same way you people who like the song so much have repeated this 1000 times... i see no problem with that.

I yes, i was a bit "acid" when i said the flop thing, but i have a real sense that Boots is not gonna become a hit, the more people i show the song the more convinced i am. And if the first single don't go very well there is a big chance that the album may not be a success; these days everybody knows how difficult is to have a hit album, and the sales numbers are very very low.
But this won't matter much to me if the album is good. I still have great expectations about Horizon, though not as great as before the first single.

Well can i just ask, why is there people on this site that voted they liked the song, than voted they didnt? thats surley actually "evidence" that the people who dont like it are in the minority?, i also seen another vote from someone who posted it off a radio station website, something like 75% said they liked the song.

also the song is #1 on over 4 itunes charts, and from what i gather has been played quite alot on the radio over here in the UK, IMHO this will easily be in the top 3 over here.

kool-aid.jpg

care for another glass?

look... i want the album to be great, i hope the album is great... but i can't say that i know the album is going to be great, for i am a free thinking homosapien, thus i can not make a logical statement about something of which i have not heard.

Nooooo. I'm covering my ears right now and keep repeating:

The album will be great. The album will be great. The album will be great.

Let me teach you a lesson in postitive thinking.

:wink:

Seriously, of course I first hear it, but saying it will suck isn't any more valid. Since I like GOYB, I decided to believe it will be a good album.

Btw, nice picture. I like to have some of that lovey dovey red stuff. :lol:

I think this is going to be a great album. ...but I know Jack Shit! :wink:

(I like Boots and I haven't heard any of the Beach Clips. Almost most reviews that I have read about the Beach Clips say that that Boots Clip was their least favorite. Some long time posters that I recognize here saying this, have me on the edge of my chair. :hyper:

I like Boots a lot (I gave it an "8"), and it was by far my least favorite beach clip. The beach clip turned out to be pretty accurate. If you haven't listened to the clips, you are in for a serious treat...

I like Boots a lot (I gave it an "8"), and it was by far my least favorite beach clip. The beach clip turned out to be pretty accurate. If you haven't listened to the clips, you are in for a serious treat...

Stop that nonsense!!!

The wait is already killin' me. :wink:

If the album is as good as boots, im really excitet as the song is awsome!!!:applaud:

The album will be great, but it will likely flop in comparison to the last two. U2 just doesn't seem to give a shit about promotion this time around, and GOYB didn't exactly make a great first impression, which is the only one that counts these days.

That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it.

The album will be great, but it will likely flop in comparison to the last two. U2 just doesn't seem to give a shit about promotion this time around, and GOYB didn't exactly make a great first impression, which is the only one that counts these days.

What do you mean it didnt give a good first impression? radio over here seem to love it, its number 1 on over 4 itunes charts, the album went to number 1 on the amazon chart on the back of the single?

i dont get it when people say this?, i mean promotion will as said elsewhere will probably begain when the video is released and they appear at the brits.

What do you mean it didnt give a good first impression? radio over here seem to love it, its number 1 on over 4 itunes charts, the album went to number 1 on the amazon chart on the back of the single?

i dont get it when people say this?, i mean promotion will as said elsewhere will probably begain when the video is released and they appear at the brits.

The reaction has been lukewarm to the song here in America, but Europe seems to be fine with it, if the chart numbers are any indication. However, overall, I can't picture GOYB having much staying power. Could you imagine this song being played on the radio a year from now? Like The Fly, it's only going to be remembered by the fanbase, except this time, even the fanbase is split over it. I'm not going to say whether or not GOYB was a good first single choice, because I haven't heard the other 10 songs, but U2 was everywhere when Beautiful Day and Vertigo came out, and this time, there's only a scant 6 weeks before release and we only know of a couple of performances and a video release. :shrug: The album campaign seems lackadaisical to me right now.

Honestly, I don't really care if the album sells well or not. It might do U2 some good to record a supposedly "great" album that doesn't sell. No matter what happens, I hope they don't turn on the album after all the praise it has received. They seem to do that every time an unsatisfactory campaign comes to a close.

I don't know about this: "It might do U2 some good to record a supposedly "great" album that doesn't sell."

We probably would never get another great album again then. (We might not anyway, but still).

But they cant win either way, people complained about them being everywhere when vertigo came out, and now people are complaining that theres not much going on :s,

i even remember people saying they would just like to be suprised and for there to be very little talk and the album just come out, isnt that whats happening?

I don't know about this: "It might do U2 some good to record a supposedly "great" album that doesn't sell."

We probably would never get another great album again then. (We might not anyway, but still).

If you're right, U2 are sellouts. Pure and simple. I've heard those accusations hundreds of times since ATYCLB came out, but I never bought into them. U2 knew they had gone as far as they could go with Pop while still sounding like U2, so it was only natural for them to come down from that eventually and get back to what they knew worked for them. I never assumed that this was purely commercial.

My point is that, given they've supposedly recorded an album that all four members know is great, if it bombs, perhaps they won't be so quick to blame themselves for it. Pop didn't bomb because it was garbage; Pop bombed because the wrong singles were chosen, and because it was released about a year too late. When Achtung Baby was released, it sounded innovative, but none of the sounds on Pop were cutting edge by March 1997. Again, none of this has any reflection on the quality of the album itself, just the musical climate.

i even remember people saying they would just like to be suprised and for there to be very little talk and the album just come out, isnt that whats happening?

I never said that. :) I like seeing U2 everywhere, and actually feeling like there's a new album coming out.

I think we're seeing why most bands aren't relevant and have no staying power when they've been together as long as U2 have. After a while you just can't please everybody. People are going to bitch that they veered away from what made them popular or people will bitch that they didn't explore new sounds and veer from the same old shit. Add to that weight of the band's previous catalogue of music and you get a recipe for failure before anyone even hear's the work.

U2 is basically battling against....U2!!! They're battling against themselves. How crazy is that. All of our expectations, although vastly different cloud our perception of the new material whether we like it or not.

"GOYB sounds like The Fly, Vertigo, etc"

"Magnificent sounds like something off of the Unforgettable Fire"

We all fall victim to it.

They can't win.

I think the album is going to be amazing, but as much as I will try not to, I will compare it to their previous work to judge just how amazing it really is....and thats where it'll fail.

If you're right, U2 are sellouts. Pure and simple. I've heard those accusations hundreds of times since ATYCLB came out, but I never bought into them. U2 knew they had gone as far as they could go with Pop while still sounding like U2, so it was only natural for them to come down from that eventually and get back to what they knew worked for them. I never assumed that this was purely commercial.

My point is that, given they've supposedly recorded an album that all four members know is great, if it bombs, perhaps they won't be so quick to blame themselves for it. Pop didn't bomb because it was garbage; Pop bombed because the wrong singles were chosen, and because it was released about a year too late. When Achtung Baby was released, it sounded innovative, but none of the sounds on Pop were cutting edge by March 1997. Again, none of this has any reflection on the quality of the album itself, just the musical climate.

I never said that. :) I like seeing U2 everywhere, and actually feeling like there's a new album coming out.

I'm not suggesting that they are/have/or ever will make song-writing choices based out of commercial consideration. I just know how important it is to them to stay relevant. If they think that what they are doing is great but most others don't, they'll shrug their shoulders and hang up their thousands of hats. That's the way they always seem to frame things at least.

Edit: that said, I don't think it will/could happen. They are too smart, talented, and aware. Whether they play it safe or not-so-safe, I think they'll connect with people. Because that's what they do best.

Isn't that exactly what so many here wanted? For the past year, countless members on this board (not sure if you're included in this, LM) have continually noted how cool it would be for U2 to not give a shit about hyping the album to the point where everyone on earth knows about it. They thought it would be cool if they didn't appear on every late night show and take every opportunity to advertise the new music. They thought it would be cool if U2 didn't give a shit about losing some fans, and instead concentrated on putting out great music and surprising the world just like they did with Achtung Baby. And now, that's what it appears they're doing, and people (not sure but I sense some negativity in your post, LM) are complaining! Somebody made a great post a couple days ago about how U2 can never fucking win anymore. It's true, and it's pissing me off. :rolleyes:

It's true, and it's pissing me off. :rolleyes:

Ah, Rob! Welcome to Phase II of your Interference membership! :wave:

Phase I: You start out writing massively long posts about how great it is that Edge had some fret buzz in the Sometimes intro. You create song appreciation threads by the dozens. You lap up and post about every detail in the band's 30-year history because it's just that interesting. You defend everything the band does with such vehemence that Bono could punch child dying from cancer and you'd find a way to make it okay.

Phase II: You start to get annoyed with having to defend your pro-U2 stances every fucking post. You're arguing with the same people, debating whether or not to actually use the 'block user' function, and yet you keep coming back every five minutes to check to see if someone's written another post that you have to argue. It starts to seem like everyone who actually posts here is a U2-hating tool and you promise yourself that that'll never be you.

Phase III: You actually start to see some cracks in U2's armor. Suddenly, a few U2-criticizing posts find their way onto the board--written by you! You're not quite sure how that can be, yet it strangely coincides with the day your U2-to-other-band listening ratio drops below 75%.

Phase IV-A: You start to explore the rest of real life, ending up with a semi-hiatus from the Crack for a while. You post now and then, and suddenly your posts are now 1-3 lines instead of 1-3 paragraphs.

OR

Phase IV-B: You become as cyincal as the rest, writing acid-tongued posts that are simultaneously both for-U2 and against-U2, and nearly 100% anti-other members.

Phase V: If you took the Phase IV-A route, you somehow find your way back because, well, it's the Crack. You slowly start writing more, mainly positive stuff, and you like this place, though you'll never be like you were in your Interference infancy. If you took the Phase IV-B route, you're probably still a douchebag.

Enjoy the ride! :wave:

Ah, Rob! Welcome to Phase II of your Interference membership! :wave:

Phase I: You start out writing massively long posts about how great it is that Edge had some fret buzz in the Sometimes intro. You create song appreciation threads by the dozens. You lap up and post about every detail in the band's 30-year history because it's just that interesting. You defend everything the band does with such vehemence that Bono could punch child dying from cancer and you'd find a way to make it okay.

Phase II: You start to get annoyed with having to defend your pro-U2 stances every fucking post. You're arguing with the same people, debating whether or not to actually use the 'block user' function, and yet you keep coming back every five minutes to check to see if someone's written another post that you have to argue. It starts to seem like everyone who actually posts here is a U2-hating tool and you promise yourself that that'll never be you.

Phase III: You actually start to see some cracks in U2's armor. Suddenly, a few U2-criticizing posts find their way onto the board--written by you! You're not quite sure how that can be, yet it strangely coincides with the day your U2-to-other-band listening ratio drops below 75%.

Phase IV-A: You start to explore the rest of real life, ending up with a semi-hiatus from the Crack for a while. You post now and then, and suddenly your posts are now 1-3 lines instead of 1-3 paragraphs.

OR

Phase IV-B: You become as cyincal as the rest, writing acid-tongued posts that are simultaneously both for-U2 and against-U2, and nearly 100% anti-other members.

Phase V: If you took the Phase IV-A route, you somehow find your way back because, well, it's the Crack. You slowly start writing more, mainly positive stuff, and you like this place, though you'll never be like you were in your Interference infancy. If you took the Phase IV-B route, you're probably still a douchebag.

Enjoy the ride! :wave:

:giggle:

Well, I did find your post rather humorous, so thanks for that, although I really don't think I fit into one of those categories/paths in particular....sometimes it's just impossible not to point out the incredible contradictions on this board, the flip-flopping, and the hypocrisy, and not get a little annoyed by it. I mean we're all guilty of it at some point, but come the fuck on......whatever. :shrug:

Isn't that exactly what so many here wanted? For the past year, countless members on this board (not sure if you're included in this, LM) have continually noted how cool it would be for U2 to not give a shit about hyping the album to the point where everyone on earth knows about it. They thought it would be cool if they didn't appear on every late night show and take every opportunity to advertise the new music. They thought it would be cool if U2 didn't give a shit about losing some fans, and instead concentrated on putting out great music and surprising the world just like they did with Achtung Baby. And now, that's what it appears they're doing, and people (not sure but I sense some negativity in your post, LM) are complaining! Somebody made a great post a couple days ago about how U2 can never fucking win anymore. It's true, and it's pissing me off. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of the last tour. After Elevation so many people were saying "wow U2 should go back to closing their shows with 40" "that was the best closer ever" "why in the world do they just not close with 40" "doesn't make any sense to not close with 40 that was a true classic closer"

Fast forward to 2004, U2 starts closing with "40" and the posts start about what a boring closer. During "40" hoards of people are already gone or leaving, no classic chant like during the JT tour. :lol:

I remember thinking, I hope U2 doesn't take the suggestions from this board because as soon as they do it, people will still complain and what something different anyway.

Yeah, there was a crowd singing 40 all the way down into the metro after the first show in DC on the last tour :drool:

Nope, I've always wanted U2 to pour on the promo shows and get themselves out there. I'd much, MUCH rather be beaten over the head with their music than just about anyone else out there. Now, when it comes to them speaking in a hyperbolic manner about the new album...I'd rather them be critical or not say anything at all. Let everyone else do the drooling.

And yes, there is some negativity in my post. I'm disappointed in the campaign so far (as are a few others, based on the U2 Unorganized On The Horizon thread), and I'm halfway tempted to just avoid this section entirely until at least the video premiere. I can't recall being this frustrated over an album campaign in the past, and it doesn't appear that anything will be alleviating this at any point in the next 2 weeks. My negativity isn't welcome, and I don't particularly care to read it either. I'd much rather be positive, and I think all of the whining is starting to rub off on me.

Back
Top Bottom