Who thinks they should release 'bootlegs' for this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerhour24

ONE love, blood, life
How awesome would it be if they recorded and sold each show like Pearl Jam has done for most of this decade? Or even filmed them... it wouldn't have to be a slick DVD production, but film a number of shows and sell them as downloads and you'd have an instant extra revenue stream and give a lot to the fans. :drool:

It would probably never happen, but someone should suggest this to McGuinness.

Pearl Jam style? I don't think so... unless they make significant changes in the setlists very often.

Well it wouldn't have to be all of them, just some highlights anyway. Then again they say their DVDs are their 'live albums' (other than the DVD audio rips they send out to subscribers).

It would be awesome but It's not gonna happen. However I believe we'll have plenty of very good sounding bootlegs aviable anyway.

Perfectionists that they are, I don't see any bootlegs coming our way this tour.

Shame though. I always try to find copies of (non-U2) shows that I've been to and can never find any.

I think I remember Bono saying that he doesn't mind if the shows are bootleged, just don't make a profit from it

They could sell them Pearl Jam style and donate all the money to the One Campaign/DATA/other charities. Just think of how much they'd be able to raise, even from people just buying a few shows.

Another possibility would be to make a different show available for streaming every week or two to U2.com subscribers. Surely they must record them all, even if it's just for reviewing what worked and didn't.

Tori Amos did something like this too. The result was great but all of her shows had very different setlists for the most part.

Like so many have said, U2 doesn't change their setlists enough. I think a lot of people would agree that there isn't much point in having a bunch of shows with the same setlist.

They should sell a subscription on top of the main U2.com subscription for access to soundboard recordings of every show on the tour... maybe occasionally streaming live.

If U2 varied their setlists then I suppose they could release a 'bootleg' of every show ala Pearl Jam. But given there would be no money in it I doubt they'd do this. From what I gather Pearl Jam do it out of 'tradition' almost as a gift. It would not be a money making venture for them.

They could sell them Pearl Jam style and donate all the money to the One Campaign/DATA/other charities. Just think of how much they'd be able to raise, even from people just buying a few shows.

Another possibility would be to make a different show available for streaming every week or two to U2.com subscribers. Surely they must record them all, even if it's just for reviewing what worked and didn't.

I love this idea :love:. . . I think they may be closer to doing this than not judging by the fact that they have made Paris version of 'Breathe' (which I watched with the sound on mute . . . on account of my nloth virgin status :yes: ) available on the site . . . they may be slowly figuring out that there are some things (like streaming, you tube, leaks etc) that they just can't fight so they may as well have a modicum of control over what is available . . . . I live in hope anyway :)

maybe MAYBE a best of the tour cd

:applaud: . . . great idea :up:
the set list purists would probably spontaneously combust over which show / version / snippet should have been included :lol:

it's an excellent idea- doesn't matter if the set lists are fairly static- if you can get an official recoerding of the gig you've just seen- what a great momento

other bands have done it- Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Pearl Jam and am sure there are others- given that bootlegs happen anyway am suprised that more bands don't do this- REM would be great since their set lists change completely from show to show

however U2 are perfectionists so I don't see it happening- although they're obviously aware of bootlegging- and they come out with all the imperfections in them

Back
Top Bottom