Who should U2 take on tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this could really just turn into a list of "bands I like that many haven't heard of"...

For this really depends on who's coming out with something at the time. U2 have always been pretty(always with exceptions) good with who they bring out on tour, with the big exception of PopMart tour(at least here in the states)... Third Eye Blind and Smashmouth? Come on!!!

There are tons of bands, but like I said I don't know if any of these bands are coming out with anything.

Yeasayer

Yeasayer

Yeasayer

Especially if the "Moroccan" vibe pans out, these guys could fit in very well.

third eye blind is better than anyone i've ever seen open for U2. It's been almost hard to stand in the heart or the elipse listening to the past few. oh and fun loving criminals also sucked.

the only redeeming opening act i've ever seen was the guy who just waved a flag while crappy sounding nondescript marley mumbled.

I think they should do stadiums with bigger names as openers (and slightly smaller names as 2nd openers)

Muse would do a European Leg, maybe have REM or Pearl Jam do US shows. Arcade Fire for Canadaian shows (or Rush...haha), etc...
2nd openers could be based on location....i.e., have Dropkick Murphys open a Boston show!

I'd prefer they stick to lesser-known, upcoming bands. No Killers-type acts.

THE HELIO SEQUENCE THE HELIO SEQUENCE THE HELIO SEQUENCE

STARFLYER 59 and MUTEMATH. For the whole tour, opening in that order, each getting 45 minutes.

luna_lovegood said:
Kings of Leon again! my two favourite bands on one night :drool: :drool: Just for gods sake not Kanye West again.
You liked KOL?

I hated them.

No opener. Just have U2 play a 45-60 min longer set. :)

Ifeelnumb84 said:
I think they should do stadiums with bigger names as openers (and slightly smaller names as 2nd openers)

Muse would do a European Leg, maybe have REM or Pearl Jam do US shows. Arcade Fire for Canadaian shows (or Rush...haha), etc...
2nd openers could be based on location....i.e., have Dropkick Murphys open a Boston show!

mmmmhhh, yeah, then it would turn into a music festival...:eyebrow:

With all due respect to support bands (who have a truly thankless task), nobody ever turns up to see them, so it doesn't matter who U2 selects. If you're in GA, you'll have to endure whoever it is, if you've got seats, you can choose to ignore the support band and turn up whenever you want. In 2005, I got to see Snow Patrol, who are a good band (although their sound was truly awful that night.) It helps if you've heard of the support band, but it certainly wouldn't influence me to go any more than I'd want to anyway. In other words, I want to see U2, but if I happen to like the support act, that's just an added bonus.

Having said that, U2's choices for Vertigo (European leg) were very clever indeed - a whole host of new bands with good profiles of their own. Therefore they weren't an unknown quantity, while U2 themselves were also demonstrating the fact that they exist on a level above the likes of the Killers, Razorlight etc. For a band that cares so much about perceived image and popularity, U2 were almost challenging these younger bands - 'Look what we can do, now show us what YOU'VE got...'Will you still be filling stadiums in 20 years time?' etc.

Back
Top Bottom