Who should U2 take on tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please, please, please, please, please, please

No Fleet Foxes,

please

I don't usually go in for "the hype" (see my view that Animal Collective's last album is the most overrated album EVER) but Fleet Foxes make nice music. Like Fleetwood Mac for the new millennium.

^In case you missed my last post, I was joking... I've never heard FF... just the first two songs from their debut album...

I don't usually go in for "the hype" (see my view that Animal Collective's last album is the most overrated album EVER) but Fleet Foxes make nice music. Like Fleetwood Mac for the new millennium.

I have to disagree and say that Sung Tongs and earlier AC are closer to the most overrated albums EVER. Listen to that album, then listen to MPP and compare the reviews. You'll respect MPP more I think.

The "next U2" should open up for Bono & Co. The choice is clear. This band will come from Germany, and U2 will pass the torch to them. They will guarantee, what the B-man dreams about: a young, fresh audience in sold-out stadiums. Bono's speech will sound like that: "They are on their way, they are hungry, they rock, they write lyrics, that inspire me as a songwriter – and they have haircuts, that remind me of our younger selves." And the front-boy will answer at least in a speach as long as Bono's. Here they are, the band that will conquer the next decade: "TOKIO HOTEL"!

YouTube - Tokio Hotel "MONSOON" - LIVE IN MILAN

... and they even play acoustic sets, too – so you better start worrying, folks :D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9757wQStZew

I'd previously said that Yeasayer should get a slot, but after seeing them live...I wasn't much impressed. Their album is rather nice, but they put on a pretty poor show.

ELBOW, my friends, is where it's at. :up:

My Morning Jacket - one of today's best live bands
Kings of Leon - I don't love 'em, but they put on a good show and college kids seem to worship them
white Stripes - Jack and Edge are buddies
Fleet Foxes
MIA
wilco
Muse
Insane Clown Posse

Pearl Jam might be too big to be an opener, generally, but I could see them doing one night in Seattle or somewhere. Also, maybe even have people like Patti Smith, Leonard Cohen, Pixies, Public Enemy, etc. do special one-show appearances. Probably not gonna happen, but a girl can dream.

(Also, best U2 opener for me was, hands down, PJ Harvey. Stories from the City/Stories from the Sea songs live :drool: )

Vampire Weekend
TV On The Radio
Andrew Bird
Animal Collective (even if it would go over U2 fans' heads)
Bloc Party
Cut Copy
Tricky
Deerhunter
Explosions In The Sky (that would be amazing)
Field Music
Fleet Foxes
My Morning Jacket
Goldfrapp
The Hold Steady
Jamie T (that would be a lot of fun)
M.I.A
M83
The National

WTF... Animal Collective's new album is amazing. I think it mighe end up being the best album of 2009.

My Morning Jacket - one of today's best live bands
Kings of Leon - I don't love 'em, but they put on a good show and college kids seem to worship them
white Stripes - Jack and Edge are buddies
Fleet Foxes
MIA
wilco
Muse
Insane Clown Posse

Pearl Jam might be too big to be an opener, generally, but I could see them doing one night in Seattle or somewhere. Also, maybe even have people like Patti Smith, Leonard Cohen, Pixies, Public Enemy, etc. do special one-show appearances. Probably not gonna happen, but a girl can dream.

(Also, best U2 opener for me was, hands down, PJ Harvey. Stories from the City/Stories from the Sea songs live :drool: )

ummm. Muse is too big of a band to open.. KOL has already opened (and I think too big as well). Fleet Foxes and MIA are the only bands u mentioned that could open.. Others, unlikely IMO.

ummm. Muse is too big of a band to open.. KOL has already opened (and I think too big as well). Fleet Foxes and MIA are the only bands u mentioned that could open.. Others, unlikely IMO.

well, of course most of them are unlikely...we're just throwing out ideas of who we would like to see. And yes, KOL opened 4 years ago (I saw them open, in fact) but U2 has had people open on multiple tours before and many people on the forum were suggesting KOL again. As for Muse, etc. being too big...if we're talking stadium tours in US during an economic downturn they made need someone big opening for a couple dates. No Doubt was pretty big when they opened for U2 last go round, and Kanye was huge.

White Lies (their album is excellent) and for something different Katie Perry

I'd say MIA is pretty likely (her political sentiments run quite parallel to early u2 and she's about the right size to do it), White Lies and The Last Shadow Puppets would be cool... I can't see the latter because Alex Turner is back with the Arctic Monkeys this year.

well, of course most of them are unlikely...we're just throwing out ideas of who we would like to see. And yes, KOL opened 4 years ago (I saw them open, in fact) but U2 has had people open on multiple tours before and many people on the forum were suggesting KOL again. As for Muse, etc. being too big...if we're talking stadium tours in US during an economic downturn they made need someone big opening for a couple dates. No Doubt was pretty big when they opened for U2 last go round, and Kanye was huge.

yeah.. i know it's just ideas.. just a little far-fetched is all. I know there is alot of hype around KOL but the likelihood that U2 would ask them again (i was at the opening nite of vertigo tour as well and to be frank KOL sucked then). I don't recall U2 having a opening band that has opened for them in a previous tour to open again for them. The point of a opening band is to give them exposure (because they are up and coming and need the exposure). Yes, U2 has had signicant bands open for them I was there for No Doubt and Kanye as well.
Stadium shows are just rumor at this point, and yes maybe they will need someone big to open I am not convinced that this will happen. We will have to wait and see.

Muse is recording right now and will be for the good part of this year so I doubt they would.

Back
Top Bottom