Who should U2 take on tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Muse live is so good they'd rival U2...and I'd argue they're too big to open for U2, but really, is ANY band too big to open for U2? I mean with something like that it's almost a double headliner, but I guess U2 has had pretty huge opening acts before (Coldplay, Rage, didn't Chili Peppers open some shows? and of course the velvet freaking underground...)

Bloc Party. would be perfect.

or Dredg.

AtomicBono said:
Muse live is so good they'd rival U2...and I'd argue they're too big to open for U2, but really, is ANY band too big to open for U2? I mean with something like that it's almost a double headliner, but I guess U2 has had pretty huge opening acts before (Coldplay, Rage, didn't Chili Peppers open some shows? and of course the velvet freaking underground...)

Bloc Party. would be perfect.

or Dredg.
Pearl Jam :drool:

A part of me would love to see Muse and U2 on the same night but I also don't really want to see Muse open for anyone, even U2... I want a full-length show from them, :drool:

I wouldn't mind seeing Editors or Doves, :yes:

scottyT said:

the only redeeming opening act i've ever seen was the guy who just waved a flag while crappy sounding nondescript marley mumbled.

:lol: i was just thinking about that guy...

In honor of this band's new album - released today & their first in 16 years ( :shocked: ) - I vote for the B-52s. :cool:

:shrug: Hey - I know it'll never happen, but this is my little fantasy & I'm just going to enjoy it for a while until reality sets in, OK? :tongue:

Editors would make it a very good night in my humble opinion.
Anyone but Fatima Mansions again..lordy. Saw a great band in the eighties open for U2 called Hurrah! Ah those were the days. Never top The Alarm though. I think I'm getting old. 'Pass the blanket please Nurse!'

Bands I'd like to see open for U2...

Doves
Adrian Belew
Pulp
Moby
Killers
Einsturzende Neubauten(oh wait, they tried that once and U2 threw off the tour when Blixa threw a welding torch at a fan in the audience)
Oasis(to humble their arrogant butts)

or maybe just some dark, depressing, mellow band to silence the crowd so that when U2 comes on, the place freakin EXPLODES! Neubauten would be good for that!

Doves is a good idea...as are other young bands (OK, Doves aren't that new...but relative to U2) that have U2-ish arena/stadium-filling music like British Sea Power or Elbow. To me though, Guillemots is tailor-made for this job. I think it would certainly be nice to get someone that can grab the attention of all those who normally don't care about the opening act -- actually perform the task they are meant to do, which is warm up the crowd. Someone that is liked by those who seek out their own music and can also bridge the gap to the U2 fans who have no idea about these bands whom they would probably really enjoy if shoved in their face.

For example, I had never seen a U2 opening act that had people actually going nuts to the extent of Arcade Fire in Montreal. Granted there were likely already a good chunk who knew and liked them, but they had to have won over some new fans with that performance...the reaction really was amazing. I swear that it could have been one of their own shows when they marched out at the end. Then, when it came time for U2, the crowd was already buzzing more than usual. Well, that was my impression anyway.

TheBrazilianFly said:
If they are going electrorock on this next album than they certainly should take CSS (Cansei de Ser Sexy), which is a great, hot electrorock band. And I really hope someone plays them their music while their doing this new record it could be a great inspiration. If you don't know CSS yet and want to check them out then listen to Let's Make Love And Listen Death From Above, Off The Hook, Alala. It's pretty great stuff and they're very big in Europe right now!

Hmmmm, not bad . . . not bad at all. I'm liking what I hear so far. :wink:

I also agree with those who suggested Doves or British Sea Power.

I suggest Goose. They have an electronic/guitar sound. Not too Industrial, but definitely elecrtronic-y and rocking! :D

Last edited:
trashdaveed said:

For example, I had never seen a U2 opening act that had people actually going nuts to the extent of Arcade Fire in Montreal. Granted there were likely already a good chunk who knew and liked them, but they had to have won over some new fans with that performance...the reaction really was amazing. I swear that it could have been one of their own shows when they marched out at the end. Then, when it came time for U2, the crowd was already buzzing more than usual. Well, that was my impression anyway.
That show was incredible.. :love:

I saw Institute open for them in boston. It was the lead singer of bush with a new band playing old bush songs. The crowd loved it!

I think Silverchair or Muse would be amazing!

Back
Top Bottom