Who should direct the next DVD ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, those close up shots of the band on HH DVDs really help with the wrinkles.

Ooh, Godley's videos are great. Does he direct full blown DVDs too, though ?

:ohmy:

Wow you guys.

Hamish Hamilton is by far the best choice. As much as I loved U23D, the editing was horrible for some songs and the cameras were oddly still, and didn't follow the beat well at all. There were way too many shots of the band and not enough of the crowd. We could be watching shots of Bono for as long as 6 or 7 seconds, whilst the crowd shots got 1 or 2. Catherine Owens sucks balls - she hasn't made one film before U23D, and it really, really shows. Hamish Hamilton knows his stuff, look at Vertigo from Milan: AWESOME STUFF. If there was no U23D was just a plain concert film, it'd be nothing more than a last-century, slow-paced, editing yawnfest - the footage is amazing and the concert is great, but man, so much potential just falls straight to the ground, all thanks to Catherine Owens. Don't let her near the 360 DVD.

Hamish Hamilton all the way, or someone else who knows how to make a concert film exciting.

hamish can lick my...

scorsese has done concerts before. not that far out of the box.

frankly i'd just have cameras at every gig and just take the best footage from the end of the tour and do almost like a rattle and hum thing, only without the actuall boxoffice release... straight to dvd and blu-ray action /

Wow you guys.

Hamish Hamilton is by far the best choice. As much as I loved U23D, the editing was horrible for some songs and the cameras were oddly still, and didn't follow the beat well at all. There were way too many shots of the band and not enough of the crowd. We could be watching shots of Bono for as long as 6 or 7 seconds, whilst the crowd shots got 1 or 2. Catherine Owens sucks balls - she hasn't made one film before U23D, and it really, really shows. Hamish Hamilton knows his stuff, look at Vertigo from Milan: AWESOME STUFF. If there was no U23D was just a plain concert film, it'd be nothing more than a last-century, slow-paced, editing yawnfest - the footage is amazing and the concert is great, but man, so much potential just falls straight to the ground, all thanks to Catherine Owens. Don't let her near the 360 DVD.

Hamish Hamilton all the way, or someone else who knows how to make a concert film exciting.

You want crowd shots when you're watching a U2 show? :scratch: I'm sorry but I watch it for the band! A few crowd shots are fine, but focus on them?

Hamish has WAY too many short shots, WAY too many epilepsy evoking shots. Hurts my eyes. And Chicago was the worst concert dvd i've ever seen. :yawn:

You want crowd shots when you're watching a U2 show? :scratch: I'm sorry but I watch it for the band! A few crowd shots are fine, but focus on them?

Hamish has WAY too many short shots, WAY too many epilepsy evoking shots. Hurts my eyes. And Chicago was the worst concert dvd i've ever seen. :yawn:

I want the band and the crowd in perfect synergy.

In U23D, one song does it exactly right: Vertigo.

The Fly is just the band playing and those f***ign words all over the screen, like watching a taped 3D commercial.

Hamish Hamilton did Slane. Best U2 DVD ever. See this?
That's what I want, and that's what U23D wasn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDkBzkA9L4sYouTube - U2 Where The Streets Have No Name Live At Slane Castle

The Fly is just the band playing and those f***ign words all over the screen, like watching a taped 3D commercial.
totally agree with you here. the fly was just awful on u23d, the words were annoying and it drew your eyes more to the giant text seemingly jumping off the screen than the band. and of course the edge not being shown at all during the solo. the rest of the movie i enjoyed, though i thought there were too many crowd shots. they seemed to be thrown in because it was in 3d, like hey look it looks like these people are coming towards you!

Yeah, those close up shots of the band on HH DVDs really help with the wrinkles.

Ooh, Godley's videos are great. Does he direct full blown DVDs too, though ?

I dont think hes ever done a long form music vid, but he sure is a good music vid director.

He always strikes a good balance between arty, kitsch, story and traditionalism.

This stage setup and outdoor shows scream for long, panning shots and smooth transitions. HH may give people seizures on this show

Wow you guys.

Watch Slane Castle. Watch Kite. He filmed the tail of Bono's guitar for half of the fucking song. He's the worst director I've ever seen.

I'm not into film studies and all that so I have thoroughly enjoyed ALL of U2's officially released concerts, but I guess I liked the Catherine Owens stuff the best. It made me feel like I was right back at a show, it really was like watching it live (save for a few shots from the back). I can't say I dislike Hamish because I will take what I get when it comes to U2 DVDs, but his stuff seems more spastic and almost makes me ill at times with all the panning, changing shots, out of focus shots, etc. I guess I just want to see the show, it doesn't need to be its own work of art.

:shrug:

Just so you guys know, it's U2 that ask for the quick cut edits. It hides their wrinkels and mkes the concert "more exciting".

U2 have been sensitive about their age and all their videos have weird effects/lighting/edits to distract the viewer. Vain guy our little Bono.

BTW, U23D had longer edits because the effect was lost on on viewers for short edits that U2 original requested.

:hmm: Ok they`ll just have to film Larry only then as he doesn`t have many wrinkles :lol:

Keep the camera off Bono :D

Back
Top Bottom