Where is best place to see U2 in North America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would have to go with Boston or NYC, although Philly 10/17 was an awesome show last tour

I've heard really good things about Montreal, but there's no show there. I would bet that Chicago, NYC, Boston, Toronto, and Vegas are your best bets.

Miami is usually good (was great for Vertigo 2). There usually are a lot of fans who travel from Brazil and other South American countries to Miami to see them and they're always up for a good time and the band really responds to that. Guess we'll have to wait until Leg 3 for Miami though.

Miami is definately a hot spot when it comes to experiencing a U2 concert, I understand this may not be common knowledge to us all (one of those things where you'd have to be there to know so); a Miami crowd is rowdy, varied culturally speaking, and not shy!! Granted, my opinion is biased due to the fact i am from Miami...

Having said that, if I had my choice, I'd head out to Boston or NYC!!!

I've seen the band in a ton of cities in the States...both coasts, and in the Midwest as well.

So, even though this is not my home town, nor do I really enjoy living here, but seeing U2 in Chicago is up there. Boston was great, too. And, I'm biased towards NYC.

All the West Coast shows I've seen, and they've been myriad, just don't have the same vibe.

IMO

new york

madison square garden > every other venue

-dan

I've seen U2 all over the place and the San Francisco Bay Area shows (SF, Oakland, San Jose) are always amazing. Willie Williams called U2's April 20-21, 2001 Elevation shows the best the band had ever done, in his online tour diary. The crowd is always loud, rocking, and intense and the band responds. Plus, it's a top tourist destination if you're looking for a fun place to visit, coming from abroad. U2 won't be playing here until next year, though.

I've only seen them in Boston, Chicago, and Portland. On the Vertigo Tour, I saw Chicago 1, 2, 3, and 4 and Boston 1 and 2. Boston had a much more enthusiastic crowd than Chicago (at least on the first leg) -- and it seemed like the band had a better connection with the audience. As I remember, the Portland crowd was pretty good, despite a very average performance from the band.

On the other hand, I saw Elevation in Chicago, and that crowd was explosive!

Well, there's great bootlegs and shows from both Phoenix and Denver (Think Rattle & Hum, etc.). I've seen U2 in Denver, Phoenix, and Salt Lake since Popmart and the Salt Lake shows have been the best as a whole followed closely by Phoenix, although the Salt Lake City Vertigo show wasn't great (2nd to last show of the tour). April 14th and 15th shows in Phoenix were amazing though---I'll never forget the vibe walking out of there on the 14th---almost silent with people quietly telling each other that they need to be a better person, very unique. Salt Lake crowds are just ridiculous loud (the band usually comment on it, listen to the Salt Lake Elevation (11-9?) show and you'll understand...LOUD.

I have seen U2 in Boston, New York, New Jersey, Philly, Hartford, Buffalo, and all over the east coast. EASILY the answer to me is Boston. I have been to Toronto and I would put that at #2 with new York being #3.

Boston.

I am from there but in this case, that speaks to my sincerity and not a tendency to favor one's hometown!

Let me explain: For those who don't know, I work security at concerts in Boston(did the Somerville Theatre NLOTH promo gig) and am so sick of doing it by now that I think all of the drunk and obnoxious idiots in these crowds should all jump off the same bridge and take the LiveNation management with them.

However, Boston U2 fans, homegrown and the ones who are smart enough to travel here because they know this is the spot, are easily the most enthusiastic, knowledgeable, respectful and courteous group of people anywhere. They have a high energy/high intensity good time without making the lives of the people who work the concerts miserable, and all have extensive knowledge of U2 and their good work, both on and off stage.

U2 says themselves in interviews and during Boston shows that they owe their initial success in America to the city of Boston and its people. Bono is often heard saying how special it is to play shows in Boston.

Also heard good things about Chicago, NY and Miami.

If you want to go just based on LOUDNESS, Montreal is the city to pick ;)

Can't wait to check out Chicago..

100% agree with Montreal. Saw them there twice. Amazing crowds. Boston is great, but Montreal has better crowds

SMB

Bono always seems to really enjoy the fans in Boston, and the feeling is mutual :hug:.

I've never seen them in NYC, but I'll be going to NY(or NJ if you want to be technical)1 this tour.[

East Rutherford is an awful crowd. Caught a show there on the Vertigo Tour. Even had a seat in a good section. It was just a dull dull dull crowd. Hawaii will be hard to beat. Simply cause most of the crowd was filled with die hard who flew thousands of miles to see the show :)

SMB

Las Vegas.
Period.

I would love to make the case for Minneapolis, but cheering for your hometown rings a little hollow. (although they always put on a great show here)

So, my vote goes for Vegas, too. The 4 shows I have seen there have been very good (yes, including the Popmart opener, take it FWIW). It's the only city besides Minneapolis that I have seen multiple tours in as well.

With Las Vegas you get the double benefit of a really fun and affordable city to visit and drink in, as well as the U2 show.

Mark

The Toronto crowd is great, plus there is great support from local national news agencies to promote the show, full support from all local radio stations, plus the great history it brings to U2....El Mocambo, Massey Hall, great UK and Irish presence too

whatever city is closet to your house and easiest to get home from. That is the bet city to see them. :wink:

i have seen u2 in 10 different states in NA, and have seen great shows all over. there is no magical city for best performance. To act like one is better than others is kind of silly, and its totally subjective.

Oh, and there is nothing magical about MSG vs anywhere else (with the possible exception of right after 9/11). The shows I saw on Vertigo, the ones in NJ were better than MSG.

Same here, I think that was the most amazing concert I've ever been to in my life, and I've seen Ninja Turtles live!!!!

Are they better than Weird Al? Cuz I've rocked out to La-la-la-la-la-la-la-lasagna live at Valleyfair with Weird Al and that might be up there with Bonolulu. :D

Mark

Back
Top Bottom