Whats The Biggest US Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"[...] 65,000 in Chicago
U2 360 Tour will set the largest single day attendance record in each city."

U2 360 Tour: Chicago, Boston and New York All Instantaneous Sell-Outs | Reuters

U2 AND Live Nation did poor proofreading, sloppy fact checking or lied in this press release.

U2 will hold the top 2 spots for combined Chicago visits(2009, 1997). Unfortunately, the final boxscore won't have the attendance for each 2009 show(presumably night one sold marginally better than night 2) to know if one of these shows did more than 71,222. Jolson needs to be heavily asterisked.

Again, press releases are NOT records. They also make mistakes sometimes. When it comes to records the only thing that matters here is REAL boxoffice numbers. Despite the fact that the results will be combined when reported, if the combined results are greater than 142,444, then you can definitely conclude that U2 has the record.

Al Jolson has nothing when it comes to this, as no one has published any factual confirmed boxoffice data.

I don't think this is going to happen, frankly. And just as frankly, who cares if U2 breaks or sets some kind of attendance record?

Well, they already reported that they sold 90,000 tickets for the Rose Bowl show in the first 6 hours. I don't know if it will happen are not, but it is certainly possible they could beat the 91,451 figure at either the Rose Bowl or FEDEX FIELD.

Who cares? People in the music industry and others that are interested in such data.

If they want to break records, they are going to have to fill up the area to the back and side of the stage alot more. I don't really get the feel that is their goal.

With the current set up, they could beat the record at FEDEX FIELD or the Rose Bowl. They did 93,000 at the Stade De France in Paris which has a seating capacity 11,000 smaller than FEDEX FIELD.

Like I said before I do not believe the reason for not playing the really large stadiums is the fact that they are "rural",
100 and whatever thousand football fans as opposed to 100 and whatever thousand U2 fans ? I dont see a difference in the impact on the "rural" community.
There are of course other factors like truck access , health and safety for concerts (GA) is proberbly different to football games and numerous others BUT a reason (in my opinion) is still going to be member No 5 not wanting to take the risk of not having a sell out.

still remains a 360 scam, even if it's "something new"

Thats rubish because they have already played stadiums on this tour that were not completely soldout in terms of the maximum physical capacity available. CAMP NOU in Barcelona Spain has a seating capacity of
99,000 and they played two shows there to a combined 182,000 people. So about 91,000 per show, plus when you add the fact that 11,000 were on the field, it means about 19,000 seats in the stadium were not used.

Once again, U2 play big shows in large urban area's where a variety of people go to the show. Playing shows in Rural area's is risky because its more difficult to attract a large crowd. Its not the same as a college football game since that appeals greatly to all individuals associated with the college in the area, which would not be the same case with a Rock Group.

Sorry, but 360 in the music industry means playing a venue without any completely obstructed views all the way around the stage. U2 has been going 360 in the Arena's since the Unforgettable Fire tour. This is the first tour to go 360 in the Stadium which is why they decided to call it 360.

I'll join someone for that pint

thread20jacked.gif

getting back to the original question,
apparently the Cowboys announced a crowd of 105,121 for yesterday's game

getting back to the original question,
apparently the Cowboys announced a crowd of 105,121 for yesterday's game

I think that includes 25,000 people watching the game on video screens. If not, then that would mean Cowboys stadium is now the 5th largest stadium on the planet.

I really have no idea why someone would pay $30 plus $70 in parking and $9 for bottles of water to watch an American football game on a screen when they could do the same thing from home for free and with no difference in experience level.

Welcome to the American South. Achtung, y'all.

I really have no idea why someone would pay $30 plus $70 in parking and $9 for bottles of water to watch an American football game on a screen when they could do the same thing from home for free and with no difference in experience level.

the stadium is the draw

if i lived out there, i'd do it once just to see everything

it's a big reason why i'm going out there next month

-dan

for that matter, i really have no idea why someone would pay $30-250 for a concert ticket plus $40-75 in parking and $9 for bottled water/beer to watch an Irish rock band in concert when they could just wait for the dvd and watch it on their home system.

:sexywink:

for that matter, i really have no idea why someone would pay $30-250 for a concert ticket plus $40-75 in parking and $9 for bottled water/beer to watch an Irish rock band in concert when they could just wait for the dvd and watch it on their home system.

you forgot hotels and air fare for us out-of-towners :D

-dan

you forgot hotels and air fare for us out-of-towners :D

-dan

Exactly, though not limited to just us out of towners. I read somewhere that a person who lives in the Dallas metro area was looking for a hotel/place to stay after the concert because they didnt want to drive home after the show.

That boggles my mind....

Like I said before I do not believe the reason for not playing the really large stadiums is the fact that they are "rural",
100 and whatever thousand football fans as opposed to 100 and whatever thousand U2 fans ? I dont see a difference in the impact on the "rural" community.
There are of course other factors like truck access , health and safety for concerts (GA) is proberbly different to football games and numerous others BUT a reason (in my opinion) is still going to be member No 5 not wanting to take the risk of not having a sell out.

Those football games don't have a $100 average ticket price.

Local football fans don't equal music fans. Campus football age demographic is not the same as u2 360.

Is the campus empty in the summer when U2 tour?

Where do out of towners and people stay after the 360 concert lets out at 11pm.

For football games the sober out of towners who travelled to the game can drive home while it's still daylight.

Not to mention the weed smoke and piss drunk meatheads!

Exactly, though not limited to just us out of towners. I read somewhere that a person who lives in the Dallas metro area was looking for a hotel/place to stay after the concert because they didnt want to drive home after the show.

That boggles my mind....

Hotel after-party? :shrug:

still remains a 360 scam, even if it's "something new"

Shouldn't that be the primary concern of any band's manager? If not, they should be fired.

Think about it... you have a 70,000 seat stadium within the vicinity of millions of people, and you have a 100,000 seat stadium that's in the middle of freakin' nowhere. Which place has a better shot of selling out, I wonder?

Because its an event that your at that is live which is vastly different from simply watching a DVD. Do you think watching RED ROCKS on a DVD is the equalivant of actually having been at that show on June 5, 1983?

I think that includes 25,000 people watching the game on video screens. If not, then that would mean Cowboys stadium is now the 5th largest stadium on the planet.

There was mention, I think during the Sunday night game, that they have the ability to sell 20,000-30,000 standing only tickets. These standing areas do have a view of the field.
Curt

just read this about the party passes at cowboys stadium:

Jeff Mosier is reporting that there will be changes for future games regarding Party Passes.

The Cowboys plan to reduce the number of standing room only tickets by two-thirds after crowds became unruly Sunday night when they weren't allowed into the stadium.

Assistant Fire Chief Don Crowson said Cowboys officials agreed Monday to sell only about 10,000 of the Party Passes to future games although there could be a few exceptions. Team officials said previously that they sold 30,000 of these $29 tickets to Sunday's game, which was the Cowboys first regular-season match up at their new stadium in Arlington. The attendance of 105,121 was a record for a regular season NFL game.

As the kick off approached Sunday night, Cowboys and public safety officials decided to stop trying to control the flow of fans into the end zone decks when the crowds became angry.

COWBOYS STADIUM Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

-dan

Are U2 still big in America? i mean are they massive? I thought they had died out over there but thats a heck of a lot of big stadiums theyre playing.Do people know their new stuff or are they just going to their old stuff?

Yes, they are quite popular here. U2 has sold out stadiums in Chicago, Boston and New York. And most likely all other cities, as well.

P.S. U2 fans everywhere know their music. Old and new. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom