U2 vs AC/DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman

New Yorker
Was just checking for tix for Ac/Dc for a mate at Hampden. Why is it....Ac/Dc gig, its only £60 to sit in the same seats, at the same venue, that u2 fans are being charged £150 to do so.
Can anyone Justify this? Pure greed if you ask me......and its pretty shameful of u2 to take part in this

Because U2 are putting on what looks like the most advanced, ambitious and visually impressive stadium show ever, whereas ACDC are going to play on a stack of scaffold with an off the shelf lighting and screen rig. Fairly obvious if you ask me. The U2 show will clearly be in a different league.

(Plus personally I wouldnt even pay £10 to go and see ACDC but thats fairly irrelevant I suppose)

Erm...dont agree. I still fail to see why u2 tickets are costing 2.5 times more in some places. U2 will probably make about £250M from this tour. The stage setup might cost about £8-10M. So this costs should be absorbed by the profits of the tour! And so....I dont agree that your explanation is the reason!

Are you sure about that? I hear the expensive seats are not selling well. Maybe they over valued their own importance!

ummm...no...seems to me you just can't accept the fact that yes, U2 are more popular than AC/DC, U2 has more drawing power, and they are simply a better live band in pretty much every single way....I don't see what's so surprising about this...like 4U2Play said above me...it's because they can and if they're smart, they will....it's been like this from the beginning...

Eh...just a wee insight here....AC/DC has sold more records than u2. So be careful when throwing biased presumptions about! I think you should remove your u2 tinted spectacles folks!
Anyhow.....you lot are missing the point here. This was not about AC/DC vs u2 so much, more about a like for like comparison that struck me this morning!
So.....AC/DC ARE equally entitled to rip fans off....(according to the posters on this threads criteria) but choose not to. More power to them!

Because the U2 production is more expensive and you actually have better view of the U2 stage from these seats than you have of the AC/DC stage?

Having done some investigation.......i can start to see why the ticket prices are so expensive. For starters...its gonna take 120 trucks to transport the stage. That canna be cheap!

Having attended every u2 tour since The Unforgettable Fire Tour.....i can categorically state....your talking pish there mate!

they've always been about the business...I don't need to explain their philosophy of being smart with the business side of things too...you're probably well aware......

Eh...just a wee insight here....AC/DC has sold more records than u2. So be careful when throwing biased presumptions about! I think you should remove your u2 tinted spectacles folks!
Anyhow.....you lot are missing the point here. This was not about AC/DC vs u2 so much, more about a like for like comparison that struck me this morning!
So.....AC/DC ARE equally entitled to rip fans off....(according to the posters on this threads criteria) but choose not to. More power to them!

the amount of records sold is completely irrelevant....we're talking about a live show...throw record sales out the door...U2 is a hotter ticket than AC/DC for obvious reasons, therefore they can charge more for their tickets, and they'd be fools not to! They aren't being greedy, as you and a lot of other people like to say. They are just being smart. It's as simple as that.

It's really simple economics, and can be boiled down to supply & demand. Not really that complicated.

U2 also sells ga floor tickets for cheaper than pretty much any other act in their league, so they've got to balance out their ticket somewhere. Oh... and ac/dc are not in their league.

It's really simple economics, and can be boiled down to supply & demand. Not really that complicated.
Yeah.......whatever you say....justone thing tho....the expensive tickets arent selling!!! So kinda blows that business model out of the window!

Oh... and ac/dc are not in their league.

Lets take neutral ground for both bands....and allegedly the hardest market to break, The US.
Ok...so....u2 have sold about 50 Million records there, Ac/Dc have sold nearly 70+ Million.
U2s biggest selling Album = The Joshua Tree with worldwide sales of approx 25M!
Ac/Dc biggest selling album = Back In Black with worldwide sales of approx 45M!
Hmmmm, Nearly twice as many sales for Ac/Dc there!
Ac/dc have sold more albums than u2!
So......in what way are they not in the same league? Oh wait....u2 have a fancy stage...i forgot, and thats what defines a sucsessful band:huh:
U2 are clearly in a league of their own!

Fuck...some u2 fans cant see past the end of their own noses! Ad just like to make it clear...i am in NO WAY an Ac/Dc fan......but i have the ability to accept that u2 are not the be all and end all!

Yeah.......whatever you say....justone thing tho....the expensive tickets arent selling!!! So kinda blows that business model out of the window!

They've sold out nearly every city, save for the southern US... in the worst economy in my lifetime. Doesn't seem to me like they're having that much trouble with ticket sales.

Lets take neutral ground for both bands....and allegedly the hardest market to break, The US.
Ok...so....u2 have sold about 50 Million records there, Ac/Dc have sold nearly 70+ Million.
So......in what way are they not in the same league? Oh wait....u2 have a fancy stage...i forgot, and thats what defines a sucsessful band:huh:

Fuck...some u2 fans cant see past the end of their own noses! Ad just like to make it clear...i am in NO WAY an Ac/Dc fan......but i have the ability to accept that u2 are not the be all and end all!

Who's talking album sales here? I am an AC/DC fan, and I still believe they are in now way in the same league as U2 when it comes to a live concert.

Who's talking album sales here? I am an AC/DC fan, and I still believe they are in now way in the same league as U2 when it comes to a live concert.

Well...thats all a matter of personal taste isnt it. Am sure the guys over on Ac/Dc forum would argue that point with ya!

you're going completely off the original topic....you called U2 greedy for selling the same seats for higher prices....and that's just idiotic. AC/DC are not even close to U2's league in terms of live shows....they just aren't. I'm not saying this because I'm a big U2 fan...it's just fact!

This is not an AC/DC board here so you cannot expect people to bash U2 and praise AC/DC. Why are U2 selling the seats for such high prices? Because they can. And if they won't sell it's their mistake and they'll know better next time around. Still I think most of these seats are actually selling. We all want them to put on a great, innovative show but don't accept that a production like that costs a shitload of money. Touring is actually the only thing they can do where some money comes in since record sales aren't great in general. I don't blame them. I have GA tickets and thought the prices were ok, I've payed more for tickets to see other artists.

The question/challenge was for someone to try and justify the £150 ticket prices u2 are charging. You lot were saying Ac/Dc arent a comprible act. I have been replying to that with facts to prove they are. Then someone moves the goalposts...and says...we not talking about record sales etc here, its just that u2 are better live (in their opinon):doh:
To say they arent in the same league is nonsensicle! Is there some sort of mathmatical formula to quantify that argument?
And why is it "idiotic" to say charging someone 2.5 times to sit in the same seats, in the same venue, for a gig, as being greedy?
Again....Bruce springsteen is chargin similar price to AC/DC. Again...more than a match for u2 on ANY terms....and in some ways...more value considering hes on stage for near 3 hrs! But you are probably gonna come out with some personal opinon rather than some factually accurate arguement to dismiss that too!
To put this in context, I could go to see ac/dc and Bruce Springsteen in concert, and have £40 in my pocket, for the price of a u2 ticket!

I don't know about in other countries, but I know in the U.S. that AC/DC ticket prices are the same for every seat in each venue, no matter where the seat is (correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding and experience, at least!). They all cost the same. U2, on the other hand, offers different prices for seats, depending on where the seats are in the venue.

I saw AC/DC last year and will be seeing them again this year. :)

As much as I hate AC/DC with a passion and find every little thing about them thoroughly distasteful.....

They've sold out Docklands three times, while U2 only sold it out twice. The stadium holds about 60,000 for gigs. Fair effort that.

This is not an AC/DC board here so you cannot expect people to bash U2 and praise AC/DC.

Who is asking anyone to praise AC/DC? can you give me ONE instance, in ANY of my posts, where that was requested? I think not!
Point is.....AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen are equal to u2 in sucsess, they can put on a show, yet choose to keep reasonable ticket pricing for their fans!
And i find that commendable!

As much as I hate AC/DC with a passion and find every little thing about them thoroughly distasteful.....

They've sold out Docklands three times, while U2 only sold it out twice. The stadium holds about 60,000 for gigs. Fair effort that.

Phew...at last....someone with the ability to take a balanced view!

Because U2 make better music than AC/DC, have a better stage setup than AC/DC, and, as far as I see it, we live in a capitalistic society, and they have every right in the world to charge as much as they want for their tickets if they'll sell well (as they obviously have).

Having done some investigation.......i can start to see why the ticket prices are so expensive. For starters...its gonna take 120 trucks to transport the stage. That canna be cheap!

ummm yeah as someone stated the PRODUCTION is gonna be super expensive so that kinda explains it a bit don't ya think?:huh:

Ac/DC haven't been relevant in quite a long time. U2 on the other hand are still relevant, their new albums are talked about and promoted a lot.

Am guessing then....judging by the consensus, that everyone on here....if unlucky enuff, would have been willing to fork out £150/$250 per ticket, to see u2!

Am guessing then....judging by the consensus, that everyone on here....if unlucky enuff, would have been willing to fork out £150/$250 per ticket, to see u2!

yes, I would depending on the situation... For instance, we are seeing the dublin shows and because we are from the states we didn't want to spend 3 days in dublin in the GA line (have GAs for first 2 nites) so we have seats for dublin 3 so that we can sightsee that day.

Ac/DC haven't been relevant in quite a long time. U2 on the other hand are still relevant, their new albums are talked about and promoted a lot.

Am amazed at the ignorance on here. Ac/Dc arent relevant in whos world..... Yours?

ok, in the interest of relevance, lets compare recent releases...

Black Ice, No1 in 29 countires, 1st week US sales 784 000, 1st week uk 110 000
NLOTH, No 1 in 30 Countries, 1st week US sales 484 000, 1st week uk 100 000

Thats the like for like figures i can find. Doesnt seem to reflect what you were sayiing!

Also "The Interscope album (NLOTH) sold a brisk 484,000 copies in the U.S......But the number everyone will talk about is 840,000. That’s what U2’s “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb” sold when it debuted at No. 1 in 2004"

According to that...maybe its U2 whos relevance is waining!

yes, I would depending on the situation... For instance, we are seeing the dublin shows and because we are from the states we didn't want to spend 3 days in dublin in the GA line (have GAs for first 2 nites) so we have seats for dublin 3 so that we can sightsee that day.

You are clearly in a better situation financially than the average person then! Some of us arent so fortunate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom