U2 to give 360º stage away after world tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heck what would they do with the stages othwerwise, and where would they keep them, so why not. Awful generous of them in any case.

Promising quote from Mr. Fisher...

"...part of the tour finishes in Australia and another part South America"

I want it so I can prance around the stage and pretend I'm in a band.

They custom stages would otherwise be sold for pennies on the dollar to the chinese as scrap metal.

Isn't the Claw WAY to big for staging of regular concert?

I think it would work great as a fixed pavilion for concerts and outdoor theatre.
I always thought of the stage as a festival set-up anyway, so would be great for some of the Aussie festivals down under during the summer time!

I think it would work great as a fixed pavilion for concerts and outdoor theatre.
I always thought of the stage as a festival set-up anyway, so would be great for some of the Aussie festivals down under during the summer time!

You need a crane to attach a light directly to the claw. A fixed stage only needs to be a fraction of the size of a claw.

It's odd for festivals since it doesn't have a backdrop or protect from rain/sun(shade).

It must be an absolute pain to build & tear down without a crew that does it dozens of times.

You need a crane to attach a light directly to the claw. A fixed stage only needs to be a fraction of the size of a claw.

It's odd for festivals since it doesn't have a backdrop or protect from rain/sun(shade).

It must be an absolute pain to build & tear down without a crew that does it dozens of times.

What do you mean by attaching a light? The thing is covered in them :)

I think Mark Fisher's idea is to keep it permanently installed, so there will be no tearing down. Hence the idea of it being a pavilion.

As an architecture student I think its a great idea trying to give this temporary structure a permanent function. It's not really designed for crappy weather, but most festivals ive been to in aus go ahead rain or shine :)

What do you mean by attaching a light? The thing is covered in them :)

I think Mark Fisher's idea is to keep it permanently installed, so there will be no tearing down. Hence the idea of it being a pavilion.

As an architecture student I think its a great idea trying to give this temporary structure a permanent function. It's not really designed for crappy weather, but most festivals ive been to in aus go ahead rain or shine :)

U2 are only donating the empty metal skeleton seen in those pre-tour Belgian photos/videos. Everthin else is rented from StageCo(?) or owned by the band(stage itself)

Aren't festivals usually on grounds other wise used for sports/farming/ranch? Very few, if any, benefit from a permanent structure.

It's simply too odd a shape for festivals where it would dwarf every acts gear and jumbotron/speaker placement is odd. Rain/sun baffles would be a pain when it's far easier on smaller stages. Even U2's arena Vertigo or arena Elevation set-up would look puny under this giant metal albatross. And would be "hung" from the top at a large distance.

The reality is that this bare structure has little future practical use beyond a pointless tourist attraction in a grass or concrete "public space".

Obviously the band does not want another Lemon on their hands. They still own that right? Its in storage somewhere I think. I know the POPMart screen was actually used for some festivals.

I think I'll buy the Lemon, too, and stick it under the claw that I'll buy.

Obviously the band does not want another Lemon on their hands. They still own that right? Its in storage somewhere I think. I know the POPMart screen was actually used for some festivals.

Popmart screen was probably a rental from the staging company.

The Lemon is in band storage and probably folded up into several smaller pieces.

The ZOOTV trabants used to hang at the RRHOF in Cleveland.

Something that's not very known is that the Joshua Tree arena stage was reused on Lovetown and Elevation!!!! Probably in band storage like the custom vertigo arena stage(converted for use in stadiums)

Edge keeps the belly dancer from Zootv in Storage at his LA home.

Haha, very cool! Btw, im assuming ur going to the Vancouver show?
Ive had a last minute epiphany to catch the last 3 shows of the North American leg.
Cant wait!

Permanent Festivals

We have permanent festival grounds here in Milwaukee. A Claw would be perfect for them.
I'd think there must be other places that have set aside a park for festivals. If not, they could give one to Milwaukee. It would be fitting as they hold a huge Irish Fest there annually.:D
I believe I read that there are ladders built into the Claws' legs. That would work for hanging lights, I think.

Birdlover

I'm imagining the claw with a few feet of it's legs taken off to make the structure shorter, no tower/mirrorball, and the addition of tenting cloth wrapped around the whole set-up.

The result is hardly an eye-sore, and starts to resemble the pavilion we've got on the Boston waterfront. Depending on the size of the event the cloth could be taken off or re-adjusted, but the claw in it's future permanent form would be little more than an already-manufactured + FREE steel support structure for an area that could use a boost in music performance spaces.

They probably won't even look that interesting (hardly like the spectacle they've become on this tour) once they've been altered and set up in their new locations...

Back
Top Bottom