U2 Secret GIG in Chicago - March 10th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Supposedly, the venue for tonight's show has red no parking bags on all the meters in front up and down the block...(this is from the person on the previous page who is Twittering today)

If its Smartbar, that would make sense with the DJ thing. Smartbar is a dance club under Metro, which is a performance space. Is it only supposed to be DJing or is there actually talk of a performance? If so, they would just have to go upstairs. Used to live right around the corner from it and could get there within a minute. Unfortunately, moved to the suburbs with the kids. No chance of U2 being around the corner from my house now. OH WELL. :sad:

I've asked a friend who lives around the corner from there to let me know if he sees any unusual activity, etc.

Not looking good for a "performance" guys:

One of the biggest bands in the world will be in Chicago tonight -- but you won't hear a note out of them.

Since last week, rumors have been circulating that U2 would perform a secret Chicago show -- or perhaps play DJ at an unnamed club. But on Tuesday, the day of the supposed event, those rumors were quashed by police, the Sun-Times noted.

The band will appear at the Metro, but it's just a media event to promote their upcoming tour, an unnamed police department source said.

Tickets for the event went out to radio stations, and the word is you "absolutely" cannot get in unless you got one of the free tickets.

“It says specifically it is a media event with a studio audience,” the source told the Sun-Times, reading from information provided by Metro to the police. “They are not bringing equipment or performing a concert.”

Related Stories
U2's Secret Chicago Show
NYC's West 53rd Street Briefly To Become 'U2 Way'
Jimmy Fallon Honors His Roots in "Late Night" Debut
Metro has done everything it could to keep the appearance on the DL. Yesterday, as rumors grew that U2 might appear at the club's adjacent spot, Smart Bar, MetroChicago tweeted: "Rumor squashing time: U2 will not, I repeat NOT be playing, DJing, or otherwise appearing in Smart Bar tomorrow."

So it turns out that's technically true. The band won't be at SmartBar, they'll be 50 feet away at the Metro itself. But realistically, Metro shouldn't expect the secrecy to keep devout U2 fans away. Let's just hope the police are ready for a crowd

I dont think there will be a performance tonight based on u2.com:

description of last nights event on u2.com:
"The band will play selections from the album and discuss the recording process"
so that is very literally what happened.

u2.com on tonight:
"they will host a radio takeover hour broadcasting a one hour live show as guest deejays."
if you take that as literally as last nights description they are just guest DJing. although it says live I think they mean the broadcasting of it will be live

u2.com description of tomorrow night:
"a live performance and audience Q&A"
its the only one that specifically says live performance

Who cares if they aren't playing. I mean of course that would be cool...but you'll still get to meet the band and that's an opportunity itself! I met Bono in 2005...albeit briefly, and it still is one of the highlights of my music fandom!

See y'all in the GA line at Soldier Field!

Have fun everyone who is going. Good luck to those who are trying to meet the band

Have a question..

Im from the U2.com Zoo and i just joined this site..and i was just wondering who, if anyone, is going down to the smart bar today??...this site seems a little more friendlier than the Zoo can be sometimes...it doesnt seem like anyone is interested in the Secret Show tonight over there so yea..lol..:D

Hi Niterocker welcome to Inteference :wave: For the biggest part this site is a pretty friendly one.

I was seriously thinking of heading into the city for the chance to meet the band. Not sure if I can find anyone to go with me though. Really don't want to venture there by myself.

cool...

well my dad works for the city and he i the one that knows when there are meter bags on the meters there is something going also q101 confirmed it to my fiance that its somewhere in wriglyvile and that its on clark street...also the security guard of the metro that my father knows said that the production was out of his hands but something was going on also check this out!!

http://www.wbbm780.com/U2-At-Metro-Tonight-But-No-Music/3992341

Thanks for the warm welcome!! I will be down there shortly cause i like to be at things early..im nervous i never even been this close to seeing U2 lol..i hope everything goes well..if anyone wants to get together u can email me..angelofthenite85@yahoo.com we can meet up..good luck to all and all those who have won u better tell us what happen!!..lol..:D

Channel 5!!

they are going to say where u2 is gonna be at!! lol..i hope its not a joke and they wont say it but just wanted to let everyone know..

Also im not usually this posty lol..im just excited so yeah my fingers are typing away!!

That article was a bit anti-U2. Looks like they got the wrong fans and the wrong people helping promote. The "source" couldn't name a single U2 song?? C'mon - not one? They've only been around 30 years and this guy can't name ONE song? Pathetic. Then the winner of tickets is selling his as he's not a U2 fan. O.K., whatever. They why enter the contest? The guy was just in it for the $$. You wouldn't see me calling a radio station to get Kelly Clarkson tickets (for some "secret gig"). :rolleyes:

I do have friends in Chicago (as I was raised there) and they are desperate to get in. Thankfully, the rest of Chicago isn't as nonchalant about U2 as these "sources" were.

That article was a bit anti-U2. Looks like they got the wrong fans and the wrong people helping promote. The "source" couldn't name a single U2 song?? C'mon - not one? They've only been around 30 years and this guy can't name ONE song? Pathetic. Then the winner of tickets is selling his as he's not a U2 fan. O.K., whatever. They why enter the contest? The guy was just in it for the $$. You wouldn't see me calling a radio station to get Kelly Clarkson tickets (for some "secret gig"). :rolleyes:

I do have friends in Chicago (as I was raised there) and they are desperate to get in. Thankfully, the rest of Chicago isn't as nonchalant about U2 as these "sources" were.

Yeah really! I tried my damdnest to get a hold of tickets and couldn't. Yet you have some who got them and could care less so they sell the tickets.

From WXRT:

WXRT - U2's Day

BTW, you can listen to the station online.

"Part Two: Live from Chicago
TUESDAY NIGHT (8-9pm)
The members of U2 spin their favorite records live on 93XRT at an undisclosed location."

From WXRT:

WXRT - U2's Day

BTW, you can listen to the station online.

"Part Two: Live from Chicago
TUESDAY NIGHT (8-9pm)
The members of U2 spin their favorite records live on 93XRT at an undisclosed location."

I couldn't find where on the site to listen/stream. Am I missing something :reject:

Good luck & have fun to those that are there!

Back
Top Bottom