U2 has a costly meeting with the NFL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
then you should tell them that they should cancel the already scheduled All-Star game next year an the final four in 2014.

Baseball? :huh:

I guess we'll have to wait and see what a great 'mistake' it was. I believe it is an awesome stadium that worked perfectly for McCartney, that has been awesome for soccer games, that will be impressive for football games, and will be great for U2 as well.

How about we wait until the concert and see what do people who attend the concert think about it?

Look, I'm sure it will be fine. My point is strictly from a design perspective, and saying it's not an IDEAL versatile space. Many of the European shows started out in daylight, and they were fine, but not IDEAL. It design circles, the place is considered somewhat of an embarassment, for Cowboy fans I'm sure it's amazing.

Again, I don't know when did you go there, but CS is more than capable to
accommodate the tens of thousands of people who go for home games. Come on, they been doing it for decades!

Howdy! It hasn't been quite a decade yet, and I know CS has grown leaps and bounds since then... But even in the late 90's it had a hard time certain game weekends accomodating the influx, I knew several parents that had to sleep on dorm floors and go to Navasota to find a bed...

You there currently?

Indeed. :angry:

There hasn't been a show in our market since Elevation. It baffles me why Austin/San Antonio was skirted over in 2005.

I saw that show... Nosebleeds and with my ex-sister-in-law, but still a great memory.

I don't know, I was living in Chicago at that time, so I really didn't pay attention all that much to where they played TX at that time... I do find it strange, since Austin is such a music city...

I went to Texas A&M, I was part of the student council at the time

It all makes sense now.

The way I see it, there is no way this market Texas/Oklahoma will be visited in 2010. I think they oversaturated this area in 2009 and have no reason to return here next year.

I wouldn't put it past them to play Austin or El Paso next year. The demand in Texas would seem to justify shows there in 2010.

Back in 2005 I had a contact at the ATT Center (Spurs arena) and U2 were very close to playing San Antonio on the Vertigo tour. According to my contact it was heavily the concert promoters at the ATT Center's fault they didn't schedule a date. But that is just a rumor.

Can the "Claw" even fit in the Alamodome? It would be nice if U2 came to SA but I'm hoping they do New Orleans again!!

Actually now they are listed as "sold out" meaning they only have random singles left.

Not sure where you're seeing them listed as sold out. In U2.com the only thing sold out are the packages for Houston and Dallas (Oklahoma hasn't even sold out on these yet). On Ticketmaster you can get relatively good pairs for all three shows. I think Dallas is the show selling the best where only pairs of $95 tickets are available, in a relatively good section.

Last edited:
Not sure where you're seeing them listed as sold out. In U2.com the only thing sold out are the packages for Houston and Dallas (Oklahoma hasn't even sold out on these yet). On Ticketmaster you can get relatively good pairs for all three shows. I think Dallas is the show selling the best where only pairs of $95 tickets are available, in a relatively good section.

That's weird... ok it was the packages listed as "sold out", but yesterday I couldn't find any pairs, and today now I can... :scratch:

call me crazy, but i wish they had played the cotton bowl. with the recent renovation the seating now spans 360 degrees (pun intended). and with roughly a 100,000 capacity it's not as if they were missing $$$ by not playing the new cowboys stadium.

i don't think you can beat the old college stadiums for pretty much anything, and certainly not a domed environment (which i think should be illegal, along with artificial turf). throw in the fact that the HD screen is going to ruin much of the effect of the stage for half the audience and i really can't see why U2 would choose to play there, other than the obvious, "we're U2 and we're going to play the biggest, best, newest stadiums in all the land!" i just think that the effect of the stage is diminished when played indoors.

and to whoever it was that said the outside of the stadium is ugly, i agree. i live in arlington and watched this thing get built for the last few years and just shook my head at how generic looking it turned out to be.

My bad...I thought it was a well known fact about their so called 'damaged' screen. But yeah what Axver said!

There was reports the screen was having issues the show before in DC. However, the U2SHOW book has interviews witht he screen guys saying there was never a screen related major malfunction. The Popmart intro did have to run twice in one of the early shows.

Maybe Bono woke up without his voice that morning?

Back in 2005 I had a contact at the ATT Center (Spurs arena) and U2 were very close to playing San Antonio on the Vertigo tour. According to my contact it was heavily the concert promoters at the ATT Center's fault they didn't schedule a date. But that is just a rumor.

AT&T Center is a beautiful venue. I wish they had played there.

Baseball? :huh:

no need. rangers' stadium is right beside it.

Look, I'm sure it will be fine. My point is strictly from a design perspective, and saying it's not an IDEAL versatile space. Many of the European shows started out in daylight, and they were fine, but not IDEAL. It design circles, the place is considered somewhat of an embarassment, for Cowboy fans I'm sure it's amazing.

I'd say those design circles are rather snobby. Every person I've talked about the stadium has raved about how awesome it is.
Embarrassment? Yankee Stadium. I went a few months ago, and it rain, and it was full of leaks all over the place. That plus that homer happy right field.

You there currently?
graduated a few years ago. now in the east coast. :)

gig'em.

I'd say those design circles are rather snobby. Every person I've talked about the stadium has raved about how awesome it is.

Embarrassment? Yankee Stadium. I went a few months ago, and it rain, and it was full of leaks all over the place. That plus that homer happy right field.

graduated a few years ago. now in the east coast. :)

gig'em.

as i posted a few pages back, it's the NBA all star game next february

yankee stadium's biggest embarrassment is the blocked views if you are in certain parts of the outfield seats:

01seats600.jpg

The view from section 201, in the center-field bleachers at the new Yankee Stadium. The wall is part of the Mohegan Sun Sports Bar.

340751240726cea4cef8b.jpg

the view from section 239 in a high row number and a high seat number

-dan

I know, but you said "and even baseball" so I was just clearing that up...

I'd say those design circles are rather snobby.
Well architects in general are usually "snobbier" than non-designers when it comes to architecture. Just like movie makers are probably "snobbier" about movies than the average movie goer... it's just the nature of the beast. But if we weren't every restaurant would look just like an Olive Garden, or every movie would be a Titanic ripoff...

:up:

Yeah im sure so many people are going to hit the damn thing they are eventually going to get tired of having to re-do the punts. You would think they would have installed this thing higher to begin with. And you would also think that after they raise it for U2 they would leave it higher. But anyway i guess that makes too much sense.

On the other hand, it could be part of the Cowboys' "home field advantage" to go along with the new stadium. If Green Bay can host teams outdoors in 30 fucking below temperatures (build a dome you fucking morons!) and Chicago can host teams in similair conditions with all of that wind, surely teams who visit Cowboys Stadium can find a kicker who can punt the ball without hitting something thats 95 feet in the air. Matt McBriar hasn't hit it yet...so maybe all it takes is practice.

I don't think I've ever seen an indoor stadium with a screen in the middle like it was a basketball arena... U2 should just put the show on in the middle of the field sans-Claw, and use that ridiculous screen, hell if someone's going to top Popmart's screens, U2 might as well be involved.

Yeah im sure so many people are going to hit the damn thing they are eventually going to get tired of having to re-do the punts. You would think they would have installed this thing higher to begin with. And you would also think that after they raise it for U2 they would leave it higher. But anyway i guess that makes too much sense.

On the other hand, it could be part of the Cowboys' "home field advantage" to go along with the new stadium. If Green Bay can host teams outdoors in 30 fucking below temperatures (build a dome you fucking morons!) and Chicago can host teams in similair conditions with all of that wind, surely teams who visit Cowboys Stadium can find a kicker who can punt the ball without hitting something thats 95 feet in the air. Matt McBriar hasn't hit it yet...so maybe all it takes is practice.

Though this is a bit off topic, I just wanted to say to the weak-minded sissies out there, if it's too cold you, live with it you fucking morons! The game was never meant to be played in a dome...

Though this is a bit off topic, I just wanted to say to the weak-minded sissies out there, if it's too cold you, live with it you fucking morons! The game was never meant to be played in a dome...

I'm not sure it was designed specifically to be played outside of a dome, either.

Who pays all that money to go to a football game and star at a screen anyways?

SMB

The coverage of American Football on TV is awesome--the field/pulley cameras, HD, all of that stuff. I can't imagine paying the ridiculous amounts of money to attend a football game in person, but consider that my only choice for watching pro football in person is the Metrodome. :down:

Mark

Call it what you like, i can tolerate the cold but the type of weather they have in Green Bay is just ridiculous. Since we are off topic, ive actually had to live for weeks at a time outside in a tent in sub zero temperatures during various military exercises, with the other weak minded sissies in my unit.

While i agree football is best served in an open stadium, like the ones we have where i live, humans are not made to be exposed to 30 below or whatever your average jan temps are in GB. Thats just absurd.....even bears (real, not the Chicago kind) are smart enough to hibernate :sexywink:

As for Cowboys Stadium, i was actually there yesterday, and the place is incredible. I don't understand all the hate for the building itself, other than the obvious disdain for the team and the owner. Some of you people are nuts.

Back
Top Bottom