U2 Announces 2010 360 Tour Opening Acts - Lenny Kravitz, Interpol, The Fray and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, for people bashing Keane, I wonder if you've ever seen them live? I thought Keane's albums are pretty boring. But then I saw them live at MSG, and holy shit, they're 1000x better live.... That was the best opener for Vertigo... they kept the stage minimalistic, and it's just 3 guys on stage, performing music, singing with great voice, and just a real-good stripped down band feel.

I do not mind Keane, but to tell you the honest truth, they do not get a lot of airplay in Montreal.:|

Well that was exactly what I said, more than twice and they got boring.

I guarantee you I would not have gotten bored of Kanye West had I seen him more than twice. Nor, for that matter, Damian Marley, who performed more songs that I consider better/more varied (both his and his father's) than Keane's, frankly. Same goes for Arcade Fire and probably Franz Ferdinand. And while I'm not in any way a Pearl Jam fan, I think it's safe to say they'd be a better show than Keane.

Having said that I wouldn't call Keane nearly the worst, either. Dashboard Confessional, KOL and Institute were horrible.

Amazing how Green Day had Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, and The Bravery tour with them in NA, while U2 gets the BEP and The Fray.:tsk:

I might be the only fan who actually liked KOL opening for U2.

I hated them live at the time, but since I had purchased their second album, I kept listening to it. I became a fan about 6 months after Vertigo tour ended.

Conclusion: U2 made a mistake by choosing them to open. They were too young and inexperienced and they had no business playing on that big of a stage. They can do that now, of course.

I might be the only fan who actually liked KOL opening for U2.

Quite possibly.. ;)

I hated them live at the time, but since I had purchased their second album, I kept listening to it.

I confessed to this (sortof - I mean, there were two songs that got me interested and I had no idea they were KOL songs :lol: )

Sorry. I can't get past that Use Somebody song.:crack:

Actually, that and Sex Is On Fire are the two songs that did it for me. Imo those two songs and Lazy Eye + Panic Switch by Silversun Pickups are some of the only decent rock songs of the last couple years, really :shrug:

(although given that info, if anyone has suggestions, I'm open to listening! :))

I didn't know who KOL was when they open for U2, but I'm glad they did...

I believe KOL has surpassed U2 as my favorite current band. I think I've seen them 6 or 7 times since I saw them open for U2. All great shows. They're last three albums have been better or at least on par with U2's last three albums I believe. They are probably too big to open for U2 now anyway.

I also like SSPU. They are too small right now to open up for a band like U2. I'll be seeing them (SSPU) for the first time tomorrow night when the open for Muse @ MSG. Now thats a concert I'm looking forward too...

And I bet you they were playing theaters or smaller venues...

Set up times, daylight, and other logistics weren't a factor.

You can't be serious in thinking U2 couldn't sell out shows without opening acts. Have you seen most opening acts at a U2 show? Unfortunately they get ignored.

i've seen springsteen multiple times at giants stadium and at shea stadium and he's never had an opener.

he does it so he can play longer without worrying about the curfew.

Besides, I'd rather have the opportunity for an opener than not, look at Springsteen's concerts, he still doesn't start until 9, so you might as well have the chance to see someone else during that time you'd be waiting anyway.

that's simply not true. he's on the stage within 40 minutes of the ticketed start time, which is usually 7 or 7:30. at the last giants stadium show i went to bruce hit the stage at 7:55 and left at 11:30... with no encore breaks.

I didn't know who KOL was when they open for U2, but I'm glad they did...

I believe KOL has surpassed U2 as my favorite current band. I think I've seen them 6 or 7 times since I saw them open for U2. All great shows. They're last three albums have been better or at least on par with U2's last three albums I believe. They are probably too big to open for U2 now anyway.

I also like SSPU. They are too small right now to open up for a band like U2. I'll be seeing them (SSPU) for the first time tomorrow night when the open for Muse @ MSG. Now thats a concert I'm looking forward too...

I couldn't disagree more with this post if I tried. I've kept an open mind since they won a bit of respect with their most recent album, but U2's last 3 albums taken in their totality are better than KOL's, imo.

SSPU = not big enough to open for U2?! Heartily disagree, I think their sound is one of the biggest in the genre and they would easily win over people who don't know of them. They were criminally robbed at the Grammy's, imo.

Let us know what you think of the show, for sure!

Maybe they're confusing Coldplay with The Fray. I don't think even Coldplay detractors would be that cruel.

i liked 'em too :shrug:

:hug:

Honestly though, when KOL were announced I recall them being trashed on this site before anyone even saw them. I was actually disgusted at the behavior of some of the fans I saw in the GA on how they received KOL. It was rude and I believed they were dismissed before anyone even gave them a chance. Anyway, I liked them and still like them.

I think Coldplay would be a good opener. Snow Patrol, keane, the Fray... those are all just worse copycats. But Coldplay, I like.

Coldplay? This could be quite interesting... :ohmy:
I just wish they would announce the opening act in Montreal! My patience is wearing thin!

Back
Top Bottom