U2 after Glastonbury thoughts and chats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The majority of twitter reckon Coldplay have blew U2 out of the water with tonight's performance...

I feel somewhat bad for the fact that I have no desire to watch Coldplay's set in order to confirm that twitter is wrong.

Nah, I'm willing to bet just about anything that twitter is wrong.

For full disclosure, I'm a Coldplay fan.

Coldplay fanatics are bound to be lame and friendless enough to be twittering all night on a Saturday night, no surprise...(i don';t hate coldplay, i own all their albums).
U2 were great almost from start to finish, it was a near perfect performance. Wasn't sure if finishing with Moment of Surrender was a good idea as you should end with one of your biggest anthems on a night like that, such as one, but coming out for out of control was a masterstroke.

An Cat Gav said:
Coldplay fanatics are bound to be lame and friendless enough to be twittering all night on a Saturday night, no surprise...

As opposed to U2 fanatics "lame and friendless enough" to be posting in interference on a friday night... :eyebrow:

That was the best performance of U2s career. Coldplay are the "now" band but U2 showed them how to work a crowd and obviously has a much more extensive catalog to draw from.

The U2 fanbase is aging and really the majority of them are not part of the "twitter" generation.

I also think they were (through no fault of their own) too physically removed from the audience with that ridiculous Glastonbury set up (presumably dictated by local council health & safety inspectors or something). Looking back at the TV footage the distance is so great it is almost as if they were playing on the main 360 stage with the nearest audience being outside the outer 360 stage.

Another problem with the Glasto stage - it is crazy slippery in the rain which impedes Bonos movement -he couldn't run around like normal.

Given those 2 big restrictions of the set up, and given they were nervous (tell-tale sign of nerves from any band being speed of singing cover versions and the covers of Jerusalem and Yellow were sung very fast) I thought they did very well. I just would far rather see a 360 show where the audience are up close than that cattle in a distant field setup which is Glastonbury.

Just comparing U2 set and Coldplay as was in both.

With U2 audience you could just gather it and walk through a mountain, with Coldplay, they would´ve gone around it, dont know if that makes sence to you, but it´s true

:wave:

1 more day to go :sexywink:

Coldplay are the media darlings atm, just like Oasis and Radiohead were before them. NME gave them 9/10 for a very average performance imo and u2 only 7/10...wtf?...British bands seem to get an easy ride from the media while a great performance from u2 is being criticised by so many.:angry::angry::angry:

atleast I didnt catch any and my reindeer hit a photographer when threw it towards stage at the end :lol:

Wow, I'm watching Coldplay right now and it's a total snoozefest. But that's just me.

Definitely not a snoozefest but my wife is the biggest fan and she felt they dropped the ball on the setlist and so did I. They mixed in too many new songs for a festival and the continuity was missing. U2 definitely blew them away IMHO.

Another thing we both noticed was Chris Martin's vocals were not mixed right and the band seemed to overpower him at times. Picked up better as the show went on but that' s how it played out on our stereo system.

The majority of twitter reckon Coldplay have blew U2 out of the water with tonight's performance...
:lmao:

It became more bearable once Chris Martin stopped writhing all over the floor and jumping around... quite like someone else we know... but Chris Martin just ends up looking like a total pleb when he does it.

I have just been reading the review for coldplay on the guardians website, and the comments are so funny, i mean they really are saying coldplay put on a better show than U2 :lol:

as has already been said The Fly alone knocked ten types of different shit out of all coldplays set

Don't know if someone has mentioned this already, but wow, weren't those graphics used during EBTTRT incredible, I wish they continue to play them on the 360 screen, they are quite colorful and extremely artsy, I believe I read somewhere that DAMIEN HIRST, an English artist, collaborated with U2, ...loved his art work, loved the girl filmed for the clip too!!!

lol lol lol

U2 forum: U2 blew teh Coldplayz out of teh water!!!1!1

Coldplay forum: Coldplay blew teh Yew2 out ov teh water!!111!11

Whatever you dig, people.

Just cant belive NME gave coldplay 9/10 i mean imo of course u2s first 5 songs alone pissed all over coldplay and the gimpish movements of chris martin

thats probably because the majority of twitter users are under 30
:lol:
Well played. (For the record, I love both bands.)

Don't know if someone has mentioned this already, but wow, weren't those graphics used during EBTTRT incredible, I wish they continue to play them on the 360 screen, they are quite colorful and extremely artsy, I believe I read somewhere that DAMIEN HIRST, an English artist, collaborated with U2, ...loved his art work, loved the girl filmed for the clip too!!!
:up:
They'd have to be insane to not continue using the Damien Hirst visuals...they looked quite elaborate and expensive for a one-time deal. Besides, if it looked awesome at the Pyramid Stage, imagine how cool it'd be on the massive Claw screen with the searchlights going around the stadium...:drool:
I also hope they keep the "remastered" ZooTV visuals for The Fly. It really adds something to the song, for whatever reason.

Just read somewhere U2 have seen a 247% increase in orders on amazon.co.uk and albums and singles have jumped quite a bit on itunes

Back
Top Bottom