U.S. Tour 2009: Speculation, Rumors, and Conjecture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I definitely prefer outdoor shows to indoor ones.

I've seen two shows of other artists at Sun Devil Stadium and the sound was top-notch from even at the very top of the seats.

Compare to seeing the Goo Goo Dolls at the Coliseum on the Arizona State Fairgrounds back in October, you could hear lots of bass and not much else.

Stadiums, please.

Also... U2 could easily play a show at the new Cardinals stadium, and sell it out quickly, and they would get 12,000 more people than at Sun Devil.

I definitely prefer outdoor shows to indoor ones.

I've seen two shows of other artists at Sun Devil Stadium and the sound was top-notch from even at the very top of the seats.

Compare to seeing the Goo Goo Dolls at the Coliseum on the Arizona State Fairgrounds back in October, you could hear lots of bass and not much else.

Stadiums, please.

Also... U2 could easily play a show at the new Cardinals stadium, and sell it out quickly, and they would get 12,000 more people than at Sun Devil.

I don't see U2 selling out one stadium like Sun Devil in Arizona. Perhaps Chase Field?

Vox

if they start in Spain in june and do a summer leg in europe, there is no reason that they couldn't do a fall leg in the US in stadiums. they did a fall leg on Popmart in stadiums. as long as hit everything by mid Nov it can be done. a lot of the stadiums in cold weather cities are domes, ie seattle/toronto/detroit/etc. i saw them in toronto and detroit october 26/27 and 31st on popmart. it was snowing but those stadiums have domes, so it was warm inside. :combust: as far as GA lines are concerned, i believe there were quite a few people waiting in the snow/ice in several cities on the last 2 tours....portland comes to mind for me! it sucks but they can do june-august in Europe and Sept thru Nov here. then go somewhere like australia in jan (where it will be summertime) and depending on sales/revenues come back for another leg.:applaud:

I'm already predicting the tour and the sound will suck. U2 should go back to arena's. If they do Stadiums U2 will sell out only 2 to 4 markets of Stadium shows. Philadelphia if there was only one show, New York area 3 to 5 Stadium shows at Giants Stadium, LA area unknown which stadium but I guess either LA Memorial Coliseum or Dodgers Stadium and do 3 songs max in LA. Boston 1 show selling out Gillette Stadium, and Chicago Solider Field (1 show close to selling out) or Wrigley Field (3 to 4 nights selling out), Washington DC area RFK Stadium 1 show selling out (no way their playing Fed Ex Field in a million years). The other markets stadiums will not sell out. Atlanta will be close to selling out 2.

I'm already predicting the tour and the sound will suck. U2 should go back to arena's. If they do Stadiums U2 will sell out only 2 to 4 markets of Stadium shows. Philadelphia if there was only one show, New York area 3 to 5 Stadium shows at Giants Stadium, LA area unknown which stadium but I guess either LA Memorial Coliseum or Dodgers Stadium and do 3 songs max in LA. Boston 1 show selling out Gillette Stadium, and Chicago Solider Field (1 show close to selling out) or Wrigley Field (3 to 4 nights selling out), Washington DC area RFK Stadium 1 show selling out (no way their playing Fed Ex Field in a million years). The other markets stadiums will not sell out. Atlanta will be close to selling out 2.

I think U2 will sell out 2 nights in Boston and 2 nights in Chicago:

1 DC

2x Boston

2x Chicago

2-3x NY area

1 Philadelphia

2x LA

2 Bay Area

1 Montreal

2x Toronto

1 Vancouver

2x? Edmonton

Plus

Atlanta

Denver

1 city in Texas

1 city in Florida

1 city in Arizona

Las Vegas?

1 city in Washington or Oregon

1 city in Michigan or Ohio

Vox

I doubt U2 would sell out 2 Bay Area stadium gigs. They didn't even sell out the two Oakland Vertigo arena shows until a week beforehand, no way are they going to unload 90,000 tickets at $80 a pop nowadays around here.

The Police and The Stones sold out the Oakland Coliseum (where U2 will probably play) in 2006, but they only did one show each. No other band in recent times has even played the Oakland Coliseum for two nights, let alone sell two nights out.

Madonna went with two sold out arena shows here on her recent tour instead of one stadium show. Over the past couple of years, Green Day and Dave Matthews played at AT&T Park in San Francisco (where the baseball Giants play), but that place only holds about 30,000 for concerts. Maybe U2 will do a pair of shows there instead of in Oakland.

I hope they come to Texas at least 3 times this tour. I really want to see them and idc how far I have to travel but this year is the year!

I really doubt they will play Edmonton anytime after September as it will be too cold in an open air stadium...

I think Vancouver will wind up with 2....

I think U2 will sell out 2 nights in Boston and 2 nights in Chicago:

1 DC

2x Boston

2x Chicago

2-3x NY area

1 Philadelphia

2x LA

2 Bay Area

1 Montreal

2x Toronto

1 Vancouver

2x? Edmonton

Plus

Atlanta

Denver

1 city in Texas

1 city in Florida

1 city in Arizona

Las Vegas?

1 city in Washington or Oregon

1 city in Michigan or Ohio

Vox

Obviously no concert will take place in Vienna 2009, claims the Austrian Times today. Plus: They mention "120 dates in the planning stage"...:hmm:

"Rock superstars U2 will not have a Vienna live comeback appearance this year as a Jehovah's Witnesses' event is blocking the stadium on the band's preferred days.

The Irish four-piece reportedly planned to return to Austria on 7 or 8 August to perform at Vienna's 51,000-seat Ernst Happel Stadium. However, the religious group has already leased the venue to hold a mass christening on both those days.

It is now looking unlikely the band will perform in Austria this year since all the other 120 concert dates of the upcoming tour are already in the planning stage.

Tickets for U2's Vienna concert in summer 2005 were sold out within minutes.

U2 will release their 12th studio album "No line on the horizon" on 27 February. According to singer Bono Vox, the band stepped into unknown territory with their new material. He said: "The new songs sound different than anything we have done in the past – they are simply better.""

http://austriantimes.at/index.php?id=11249

Obviously no concert will take place in Vienna 2009, claims the Austrian Times today.

U2 could play at Danube Island, like Madonna did.:hmm:

Anyway, here's my prediction-

U2 will follow the same trek as Madonna did last year in Europe and North America. Like Madonna, U2 will do all stadiums in Europe and both arenas and some stadiums in North America.

Check it out: Sticky & Sweet Tour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not going to assume anything till they announce it officially. I hope they do arenas, but if they do stadiums I'll still see them.

soldier-field.jpg

see you in september.

U2 in Stadiums

I have been following the band & collecting their items since 1979, but I refuse to see anymore shows in Stadiums. Concerts should only be held in nothing larger than arena's. I can't see paying big bucks & u2 will be charging big bucks for this tour even though the U.S. is on the verge of a collasall economic collapse. I saw them in the past in Stadiums during Josuha Tree, Zoo Tv, & Popmart & they are not as intimate for me, to waste my money on what will look like ants from 75 yards away is a waste of hard earned moneth these days.

Like many, I'm not too pleased about the prospect about U2 in a stadium (we've been spoiled here in N. America).

Having said that I caught them in Milan, Croke Park, and Buenos Aires on the Vertigo Tour and they were great shows. Of course, the Toronto crowd just ain't the same.

spend the money and watch them in dublins croke park. trust me it is an amazing experience. got new album today. absolutely fantastic. i cant wait for croke park.all 5 nights.lol

they have provisionaly booked 3 nights starting 24th july. the will do 5nights if they can get permission to do so. r u heading to croker?

For hardcore U2 show goers only:

Has anyone closely investigated the "VIP NATION" promotion from live nation? It could be a decent U2 tickets outside of tradional onsales, presales or fanclubs.

The catch is that it's about $1,000 before you buy any tickets and it lasts 12 months. You can only buy within vaguely defined region. It may only be worthwhile in NYC/LA/Toronto/Chicago. You can buy 4 tickets(2 ticket limit if there is artist restriction - probably U2) to as many Live Nation shows in that city("region") in that 12 month period.

Hypothetically, if there is 6 Chicago shows in late 2009 & early 2010 that would be 12 tickets. 12 GAs or good club seats at face value + $1,000 begins to look enticing.

The question is whether this applies to LA AND Anaheim show or NYC/NJ/Long Island(which could be 10+ shows). MSG GAs could be trading very well for tickets in other cities.

I am member of VIP Nation in Florida and it was not a good investment. They fill your order with "good" seats but, in my opinion, they are providing "mediocre" tickets. In arena shows the seats can be as far as 4 sections away from the stage or essentially halfway back. For smaller venues, it has proven to be at least a third to halfway back. In almost every case, a member can obtain better tickets on their own than the ones provided by VIP Nation. Yes, you order before the public sale, but that just gives them an indication on how many tickets Live Nation holds back prior to the public sale. It does not mean "preferred seating" in any way. For U2's upcoming stadium in the round shows (supposedly favoring one end of a stadium), it will mean mediocre lower level seats slightly off from the most centered seats. Also, for the type of seats VIP Nation provides, they will not be offering General Admission Field seats for U2. They always only offer the top price category for the events and the General Admission seats will NOT be the top price category. Needless to say, I will not be renewing my VIP Nation membership after this year.

soldier-field.jpg

see you in september.

What's funny is I can still access my seat from Popmart. They left some of the old structure on the south side and we make sure to sit on the stoop that once held our seats for the first night of Popmart. lol

That said, I still really really really hate the idea of stadium shows. I also really think the turf at soldier field is shite and can't handle a show like this during the season.

The buzz definitely seems to be building that they'll be playing stadiums in the US, at least in some cities. From the Boston Globe last week:

(apologies if it's already been posted)

"Whither U2? The Irish band hasn't announced the deets of its summer tour yet, but we're told the itinerary will include a stop at Gillette Stadium in mid-September, probably the 20th."

Matthews may make return to Fenway - The Boston Globe

The article goes on to say that, alas, Dave Matthews will most likely be getting the coveted Fenway spot. I have to say, though, the thought of a stadium tour makes me a little nervous....especially in a bad economy. Are people (especially the more casual fans) really going to shell out $50 - $75 to sit a football field away from the band? We all remember those empty seats in certain cities during Popmart.

At the very least, I hope the band does a mix of stadiums/arenas, like the Stones have done. I know that U2 sold every ticket they put on sale during the Elevation and Vertigo treks, but I think upgrading to stadiums this time around is very risky, especially since the first single off the album isn't exactly tearing up the charts.

Kind of nice to follow the Stadium/Arena discussion for the American part of the tour..
In my opinion, as a European, you Americans have been very lucky over the years with arena tours. Here in Europe we mainly get stadium tours....

...in the current discussion about the upcoming tour, has it occurred to you that U2 might do a relatively small stadium tour with single dates for most cities and double and perhaps triple dates in the big cities along the east coast and west coast??

It would make sense. When I follow the rumour mill here in Europe, it seems that the European tour will last for about seven weeks with about 25 dates in about 16-17 cities. Demand for these shows will be big, eventhough they are in stadiums only...

U2 could follow the same drill for the US, a relatively small stadium tour, starting at the end of August into mid October...

I guess we'll learn more in about two weeks when the tour will be announced.

Back
Top Bottom