U.S. Tour 2009: Speculation, Rumors, and Conjecture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What makes you think the first US leg will be indoor?

I think it is a pretty fair assumption. The success of the past 2 tours in NA indicate this. And I do believe the comment that a fan made concerning Bono suggesting that the tour opens in Europe (Spain possibly). Tickets for a US Spring tour would have already started selling out today.

Right, but hearing these outdoor rumors... you'd think they would apply to any region that U2 wants to perform in.

it only makes sense. by the time theyll get here it will be fall/winter

if they start stadiums in europe by mid spring they could easily hit stadiums in the states by mid summer and be done with them by late october... start up north when the weather is warm, do domes and southern states by the time early fall hits. then they can move on to the southern hemisphere where the seasons are flipped.

makes perfect sense and could be over within a year... which i think they want.

I think it is a pretty fair assumption. The success of the past 2 tours in NA indicate this. And I do believe the comment that a fan made concerning Bono suggesting that the tour opens in Europe (Spain possibly). Tickets for a US Spring tour would have already started selling out today.

Right. Plus if what that fan said is true then it would make sense. Because they want to start in late June right?

Thank the Lord!!! I hope this turns out to be true. Not that I wouldn't LOVE to see U2 in a stadium setting, that'd be great. But even more importantly, I'd like U2 to come closer to me than Chicago, and that may not be possible with a stadium tour.

Acrobat, where is Urbana, OH? I am in Akron. Last tour I saw them in Chicago, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. When the time comes we can get a group together and maybe share travel expenses if possible.

Acrobat, where is Urbana, OH? I am in Akron. Last tour I saw them in Chicago, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. When the time comes we can get a group together and maybe share travel expenses if possible.

Hey, my 3 Vertigo shows were in Chicago, Pittsburgh and Cleveland!! My Chicago show was the May 7th one.

Urbana is about an hour west of Columbus and a half hour northeast of Dayton. About 2.5 hours from Akron. I've spent a lot of time in your town though. Used to visit friends that went to Kent State, and been to a few shows at Blossom Music Center. That sounds great if we could get a group together. Hopefully U2 plays at Gund Arena again, there's lots of fun stuff we could get into in that area. Same with Nationwide Arena in Columbus.

Small world, I was there 5/7 too although not in GA for that one. My husband's family all live in Chicago. I scored a ticket a few days before in the first row of the upper level, looking straight out at the stage. It wasn't bad. Having done GA in Pittsburgh & Cleveland though - that's the only way to go for me. I was born and raised in the Cleveland suburbs.

I'm worried they aren't gonna come back to Pittsburgh, though - it's not exactly the biggest spot on the map to hit. How have their past US tours gone in terms of covering the city?

For sure they will come to Cleveland again, and that's not so far from Pittsburgh... I'm hoping to get to more than 3 shows. I would love to see them in Dublin... but I don't want to be a little speck in the back like the ones you see in Slane.

not thrilled with the idea of a stadium tour.....much rather see them in an intimate setting. however...a stadium tour would work if it started on the east coast in september and worked its way west by october...even november. if i remember correctly...the joshua tree tour ended in arizona in november. it was cold.......i remember bono's breath being visible in rattle and hum.

For sure they will come to Cleveland again, and that's not so far from Pittsburgh... I'm hoping to get to more than 3 shows. I would love to see them in Dublin... but I don't want to be a little speck in the back like the ones you see in Slane.

Unfortunately for my checkbook, I kinda promised myself last tour that the next tour I would fly to Dublin to see them. Fortunately, the wife is on board with that plan! ;)

So, I'll most likely see them in D.C., Pittsburgh, Dublin. That's the current plan, at least.

Popmart Fall 1997 Leg:

October 26, 1997: Toronto ON, Canada @ Skydome
Concert Details October 27, 1997: Toronto ON, Canada @ Skydome
Concert Details October 29, 1997: Minneapolis, MN @ Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome
Concert Details October 31, 1997: Detroit, MI @ Pontiac Silverdome
Concert Details November 02, 1997: Montreal PQ, Canada @ Olympic Stadium
Concert Details November 08, 1997: St. Louis, MO @ Trans World Dome
Concert Details November 10, 1997: Tampa, FL @ Houlihans Stadium
Concert Details November 12, 1997: Jacksonville, FL @ Municipal Stadium
Concert Details November 14, 1997: Miami, FL @ Pro Player Stadium
Concert Details November 21, 1997: New Orleans, LA @ Louisiana Superdome
Concert Details November 23, 1997: San Antonio, TX @ Alamodome
Concert Details November 26, 1997: Atlanta, GA @ Georgia Dome
Concert Details November 28, 1997: Houston, TX @ Houston Astrodome
Concert Details December 02, 1997: Mexico City, Mexico @ Foro Sol
Concert Details December 03, 1997: Mexico City, Mexico @ Foro Sol
Concert Details December 09, 1997: Vancouver BC, Canada @ B.C. Place Stadium
Concert Details December 12, 1997: Seattle, WA @ Kingdome

Note that they didn't even start until late October. Now look at PopMart Leg 1:

April 25, 1997: Las Vegas, NV @ Sam Boyd Stadium
Concert Details April 28, 1997: San Diego, CA @ Jack Murphy Stadium
Concert Details May 01, 1997: Denver, CO @ Mile High Stadium
Concert Details May 03, 1997: Salt Lake City, UT @ Rice Stadium
Concert Details May 06, 1997: Eugene, OR @ Autzen Stadium, U. of Oregon
Concert Details May 09, 1997: Tempe, AZ @ Sun Devil Stadium
Concert Details May 12, 1997: Dallas, TX @ Cotton Bowl
Concert Details May 14, 1997: Memphis, TN @ Liberty Bowl
Concert Details May 16, 1997: Clemson, SC @ Memorial Stadium
Concert Details May 19, 1997: Kansas City, MO @ Arrowhead Stadium
Concert Details May 22, 1997: Pittsburgh, PA @ Three Rivers Stadium
Concert Details May 24, 1997: Columbus, OH @ Ohio Stadium
Concert Details May 26, 1997: Washington, DC @ Robert F. Kennedy Stadium
Concert Details May 31, 1997: East Rutherford, NJ @ Giants Stadium
Concert Details June 01, 1997: East Rutherford, NJ @ Giants Stadium
Concert Details June 03, 1997: East Rutherford, NJ @ Giants Stadium
Concert Details June 08, 1997: Philadelphia, PA @ Franklin Field
Concert Details June 12, 1997: Winnipeg MB, Canada @ Winnipeg Stadium
Concert Details June 14, 1997: Edmonton AB, Canada @ Commonwealth Stadium
Concert Details June 15, 1997: Edmonton AB, Canada @ Commonwealth Stadium
Concert Details June 18, 1997: Oakland, CA @ Oakland-Alameda County Stadium
Concert Details June 19, 1997: Oakland, CA @ Oakland-Alameda County Stadium
Concert Details June 21, 1997: Los Angeles, CA @ Los Angeles Coliseum
Concert Details June 25, 1997: Madison, WI @ Camp Randall Stadium
Concert Details June 27, 1997: Chicago, IL @ Soldier Field
Concert Details June 28, 1997: Chicago, IL @ Soldier Field
Concert Details June 29, 1997: Chicago, IL @ Soldier Field
Concert Details July 01, 1997: Foxboro, MA @ Foxboro Stadium
Concert Details July 02, 1997: Foxboro, MA @ Foxboro Stadium

Throw out Jacksonville, New Orleans, San Antonio and maybe Tampa from Leg 3, throw out Eugene, Memphis, Clemson, Winnipeg, and maybe KC from Leg 1, move LA and SD to Leg 3, re-arrange the rest within their legs...you could cover Leg 1 cities in the period starting early to mid-September - starting, say, in SLC, Denver, Edmonton (maybe), then hit the Midwest open air stadiums, then over to the Northeast and so on through the 3rd week of October, and then basically follow the leg 3 blueprint (with LA and SD included), all in stadiums. Although I WOULD prefer arenas...

I can see why they'd be considering stadiums for the U.S. this time around. It would be fewer shows to meet a great demand. That said, a stadium leg would mean few if any shows in secondary markets. I wouldn't mind them doing a leg of each, and if they did, I'd probably hold off for the arena shows.

Personally, I'd be content if I never had to go to another show in a stadium for the rest of my life. The experience if you're anywhere but close just can't compare. I loved arenas on the last tour, because I felt like there was some semblance of intimacy that there just couldn't be in an even larger venue. I saw Popmart from mid-price seats, and I felt like I was a mile away from the action.

For hardcore U2 show goers only:

Has anyone closely investigated the "VIP NATION" promotion from live nation? It could be a decent U2 tickets outside of tradional onsales, presales or fanclubs.

The catch is that it's about $1,000 before you buy any tickets and it lasts 12 months. You can only buy within vaguely defined region. It may only be worthwhile in NYC/LA/Toronto/Chicago. You can buy 4 tickets(2 ticket limit if there is artist restriction - probably U2) to as many Live Nation shows in that city("region") in that 12 month period.

Hypothetically, if there is 6 Chicago shows in late 2009 & early 2010 that would be 12 tickets. 12 GAs or good club seats at face value + $1,000 begins to look enticing.

The question is whether this applies to LA AND Anaheim show or NYC/NJ/Long Island(which could be 10+ shows). MSG GAs could be trading very well for tickets in other cities.

I'm worried they aren't gonna come back to Pittsburgh, though - it's not exactly the biggest spot on the map to hit. How have their past US tours gone in terms of covering the city?

They've played Pittsburgh on every tour since the War tour (at the old Fulton Theatre) so I think they'll be coming back. I'm pretty sure the earliest U2 show was for the Boy tour at the old Decade in Oakland. I was too young to get into a bar back then! Too bad the new arena won't be ready for this tour!

For sure they will come to Cleveland again, and that's not so far from Pittsburgh... I'm hoping to get to more than 3 shows. I would love to see them in Dublin... but I don't want to be a little speck in the back like the ones you see in Slane.[/QUOTE

Cleveland is a definite, especially in an arena tour. Ohio is too big a market to skip over entirely. Pittsburgh would sell out a arena show easily, however Mellon Arena is pretty small compared to the other arenas they played last time. I'm praying they come to Cincinnati, Columbus or Indianapolis also, so that I don't have to travel as much.

One of U2's inner circle is from Pittsburgh. I think it was U2SHOW book mention that they(BP Fallon?) saw the Beatles at Mellon Arena. One of the very few active venues still used today that once hosted the Fabs.

I can see why they'd be considering stadiums for the U.S. this time around. It would be fewer shows to meet a great demand. That said, a stadium leg would mean few if any shows in secondary markets. I wouldn't mind them doing a leg of each, and if they did, I'd probably hold off for the arena shows.

Personally, I'd be content if I never had to go to another show in a stadium for the rest of my life. The experience if you're anywhere but close just can't compare. I loved arenas on the last tour, because I felt like there was some semblance of intimacy that there just couldn't be in an even larger venue. I saw Popmart from mid-price seats, and I felt like I was a mile away from the action.

totally agree.............if you're not close to the stage.........its not the same experience. arena is way better

I'd certainly go to a stadium show and would hope for the best, seating wise. the only stadium show I've seen was PopMart in Madison, WI, and I was close to the front ... but there was no GA.

GA in a stadium sounds like hell on earth to me, just for the sheer amount of people. Plus I'm short and always have to pee. ;)

But it's not like I wouldn't even go if they did stadiums in the US. I'll go even if I'm in the highest seat in the stadium.

I don't know if US stadiums are a piece or crap to host concert shows, but that certainly doesn't happen in a "normal" european stadium. Here in Lisbon, for instance, Stadium José de Alvalade was specifically conceived to host concert shows and it even has a big rehearsal room under the floor.
I've been into a lot of stadium shows and even in the back seats, my vision angle was never that bad.

Why should U2 consider a stadium-only tour?
Well, first of all because they're almost 50, they're not getting younger and they have bigger familly "obligations" than in the past.
Secondly, because reuniting more people in a less number of shows allows the band to rest a bot more between dates and to recover (I've been lead vocals/rhythm guitar too, I know what it takes night after night...) before the next stop.

And... remembering that Madonna (Live Nation too! - same status U2 has inside the company) wanted to beat her own grossing record... Why d'you think she preffered to make a stadium-only tour, when it's known that her shows don't work in stadiums as well as in pavillions/arenas?

I for one would love to see a stadium show. The sound will be much better especially with these new huge arenas recently built in the US causing the sound to suck.

If U2 did a stadium tour they would be morons not to come back to Edmonton. By their own admission it had to have been seen as one of the biggest sucesses of the Popmart Tour.

I am not totally positive that U2 will do well in Stadiums in all the US markets though, but we will see what happens. Popmart had a lot of half empty buildings especially in what would be considered non U2 markets, and I dont think it had very much to do with the quality of the album because a lot of tickets went on sale before the album was even released.

We will see if U2 can really pull of a stadium tour of the US this time.....I am betting it will be tougher then people here think. The US fanbase is still relitively fragile in most spots...but I would say if anybody can truely do a stadium tour these days U2 midas well give it a shot and see how it goes.

NLOTH Tour-

Stadium stage... band members playing from way back of the stage behind a veil, no one can see them except for their silhouettes... fog machines... colored stage lights in the background behind the veil.

And there you have it-- a blurry horizon stage presence.

Back
Top Bottom