U.S. Tour 2009: Speculation, Rumors, and Conjecture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:pray: :pray: :pray: actually, just bloody well play here and don't do that awful 'miss australasia every second tour' thing :(

I was just reading in the paper this morning about how 6 or 7 big names have cancelled plans for down under tours for 2009 cause our dollar is gone to shit. :sad:

Sadly, I think that in 10 years, touring will be unprofitable for bands and going to rock concerts will be a thing of the past. Smell the flowers while you can!

I don't know if I think concerts will disappear completely....but I am sure you will see things scaled back and simplified. A lot of bands say they love touring and is the best part of being in a band. If this is indeed true they will find a way. Can't say for concerts, but movies tend to boom during economic down times as people like to escape. but movie tickets are not 50 plus bucks:ohmy:

Sadly, I think that in 10 years, touring will be unprofitable for bands and going to rock concerts will be a thing of the past. Smell the flowers while you can!

Concerts wont die. There are a ton of indie/low key bands who love a rock tour and do it to promote their music.

I think and hope we'll see the acts of old (Madonna, Stones, Who) stop charging ridiculous prices. Promoters like Clear Channel & LiveNation are out for the dollar not the concert experience. Props to U2 not going over the "line" of charging too much. I try to always take a friend to a U2 every tour. I can live with $100-$250 for 2 tickets for U2, but the Stones charging $500-$600 for 2 tickets......yeah.

Ryan Adams is coming to my town to play charging $28 for the best seat. My wife and I are going knowing we'll have a great time, listen to some music while not breaking the bank. Just flip over some rocks and you'll find some great bands :)

I thought that touring was the only way that anyone made money besides the few who sell monster album numbers (which is less and less). Can someone in the know weigh in here?

I'm praying for them to be at Glastonbury this year... I doubt it, but as I'm probably going that'd just be brilliant timing :up:

Don't know if this has been posted yet.. apparently from the new Q magazine as reported on atu2:

"What are the plans for the tour? How do you plan on topping Vertigo?

Bono: "Well, I can't say too much because [promoters] the Live Nation people would die. But I think it's fair to say that what we've planned for outdoors has never been done before and that we've been working on it for a long time. It's a feat of engineering genius."

EDIT: Sorry, looks like that was posted earlier in this thread. my bad.

Ryan Adams is coming to my town to play charging $28 for the best seat. My wife and I are going knowing we'll have a great time, listen to some music while not breaking the bank. Just flip over some rocks and you'll find some great bands :)

@ the Majestic? I'll be at that show...:hyper:

Don't know if this has been posted yet.. apparently from the new Q magazine as reported on atu2:

"What are the plans for the tour? How do you plan on topping Vertigo?

Bono: "Well, I can't say too much because [promoters] the Live Nation people would die. But I think it's fair to say that what we've planned for outdoors has never been done before and that we've been working on it for a long time. It's a feat of engineering genius."

EDIT: Sorry, looks like that was posted earlier in this thread. my bad.

Is this going to be that "sound spotlight" stuff that was rumored for the Vertigo tour?

I thought that touring was the only way that anyone made money besides the few who sell monster album numbers (which is less and less). Can someone in the know weigh in here?

This is true. Very few bands make their money off of CD sales anymore...

His theory of tours disappearing is completely unfounded.

It seems that the US leg will start in Autumn (September-October) with the first leg in Europe... Bono has just confirmed it.

It's not a joke...

It seems that the US leg will start in Autumn (September-October) with the first leg in Europe... Bono has just confirmed it.

It's not a joke...

Source?

I'm hoping arena shows again this time around. Stadium shows suck. U2 'may' duplicate the path that the popmart tour took, with two passes thru N. America.

Probably not, touring is the artists cash cow these days, plus fans will always pay to see their favorite band.

A fan talked to Adam and Bono in Dublin today, they confirmed it. Paul McGuiness told a German fan in London the same a couple of weeks ago. So I think we can pretty safely assume that there is some truth to this story. There simply has to be some tour info coming out within the next few weeks.

@ the Majestic? I'll be at that show...:hyper:

Yep, at the Majestic. I love that venue and I don't know why more indie bands play there.

I thought many felt already that the tour would start in Europe because of the album coming out in March. U2 will not do a Popmart 2.0

-Release album in March

-Start tour in late April/early May.

US fans will see the pictures and videos of the stadium show then rush to purchase tickets. Thus U2 will conquer stadiums in the US...where they belong.

A fan talked to Adam and Bono in Dublin today, they confirmed it. Paul McGuiness told a German fan in London the same a couple of weeks ago. So I think we can pretty safely assume that there is some truth to this story. There simply has to be some tour info coming out within the next few weeks.

I don't think we can safely assume anything.

Let's not forget, Hey You and Artdirector apparently have already heard the single...:wink:

People lie(House confirmed that for me). So unless this meeting was caught on tape, or something becomes official I assume nothing.

I still can't fathom U2 doing stadium shows in the US. Especially with the economy going deeper and deeper down the shit hole.

^I'm talking about House...
this is the R.E.M. song. :wink:
Which is :drool: too.

^Well, nobody is perfect. :wink:
Just kidding. ;)

I still can't fathom U2 doing stadium shows in the US. Especially with the economy going deeper and deeper down the shit hole.

This may put a damper on things, but who knows for sure. Obama might have the US economy fixed by then.

Back
Top Bottom