Tour Rumours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
since there is no subforum for the new world tour of U2, maybe we can use this thread for this?

These are all rumours collected by Bas Timmers. Here his overview. For sources, visit his website: www.bastimmers.nl � Blog Archive � U2 Tour 2009

Alright, a new U2 world tour is coming up. Until the definitive confirmation comes from U2.com, rumours are flying around the web. As with the previous tour, I think it would be a good idea to grab all these loose touring molecules from the internet and arrange them in a nice and neat overview regarding the European leg. (last update: Sunday January 25th, 1929hrs CET)

Name of the tour: as yet unknown
Stage set-up: ‘360 view, but favoring one end of the stadium, not completely in the round’ said Daniel Lanois. Other source suggests completely in the round
- Barcelona (end of June, (my guess June 27th because it’s on a saturday), source, venue likely Camp Nou or Olympic Stadium
- Seville (July 3rd, Olympic Stadium)
- Milan (July 7 and 8 (source), likely San Siro Stadium)
- Rome (early July, likely Olympic Stadium)
- Amsterdam (early July, probably two nights plus one reserve, Amsterdam Arena)
- Paris (July 10 and 11, Stade de France)
- Nice (July 13, Parc Des Sports Charles Ehrmann)
- London (very likely Wembley, the stadium is reserved for gigs from June 20 to July 18, in the schedule there is still room after the Oasis gig on July 12)
- Dublin (likely July 19 and one subsequent night in Croke Park. More than two gigs is a problem under the current permission of the stadium (Take That plays there in June). Some rumours mention Croke Park end of August, but the GAA doesn’t allow non-sport events in August. One more problem is that Croke doesn’t allow the stage to be built on the pitch, which is unavoidable with the in-the-round setup. Other sources therefore mention Phoenix Park as the venue of choice, August would be an option again then)
- Helsinki (July 25 or August 1st, venue unknown)
- Warsaw (end of July/start of August, source: Polish radio Channel 3 January 7)
- Berlin (my guess early August, Olympiastadion (venue is not available later because of World Championships Track & Field))
- Vienna (August 7 and/or 8, problems though with booking the Ernst Happel Stadium)
- Prague (August 10, if a suitable venue can be found)
- Glasgow (date unknown, Hampden Park)

it certainly looks like they will be starting the tour in Europe late spring/early summer with US in the fall (2nd leg). We'll have to wait and see on this one.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that the first U.S. leg will be in the fall, too.

- Dublin (likely July 19 and one subsequent night in Croke Park. More than two gigs is a problem under the current permission of the stadium (Take That plays there in June). Some rumours mention Croke Park end of August, but the GAA doesn’t allow non-sport events in August. One more problem is that Croke doesn’t allow the stage to be built on the pitch, which is unavoidable with the in-the-round setup. Other sources therefore mention Phoenix Park as the venue of choice, August would be an option again then)

"Rules" in Dublin tend not to apply to U2. Anyone who remember Lansdowne Road in 1997 knows that to be the case.

since there is no subforum for the new world tour of U2, maybe we can use this thread for this?

These are all rumours collected by Bas Timmers. Here his overview. For sources, visit his website: www.bastimmers.nl � Blog Archive � U2 Tour 2009

Name of the tour: as yet unknown
Stage set-up: ‘360 view, but favoring one end of the stadium, not completely in the round’ said Daniel Lanois. Other source suggests completely in the round
- Barcelona (end of June, (my guess June 27th because it’s on a saturday), source, venue likely Camp Nou or Olympic Stadium
- Seville (July 3rd, Olympic Stadium)
- Milan (July 7 and 8 (source), likely San Siro Stadium)
- Rome (early July, likely Olympic Stadium)
- Amsterdam (early July, probably two nights plus one reserve, Amsterdam Arena)
- Paris (July 10 and 11, Stade de France)
- Nice (July 13, Parc Des Sports Charles Ehrmann)
- London (very likely Wembley, the stadium is reserved for gigs from June 20 to July 18, in the schedule there is still room after the Oasis gig on July 12)
- Helsinki (July 25 or August 1st, venue unknown)
- Warsaw (end of July/start of August, source: Polish radio Channel 3 January 7)
- Berlin (my guess early August, Olympiastadion (venue is not available later because of World Championships Track & Field))
- Vienna (August 7 and/or 8, problems though with booking the Ernst Happel Stadium)
- Prague (August 10, if a suitable venue can be found)
- Glasgow (date unknown, Hampden Park)

^ Completely misses out Manchester and Cardiff which covers North England and Wales so i agree with the below comment of DaveC

Well, whoever wrote this article certainly did a fine job of "making shit up".

I'm not believing anything until U2.com announces it.

QFT!!! I'm not believing anything until u2.com announces it. :up:

Aside from inventing dates and venues, is there anything we do know for sure? Can we take for granted that its going to be stadiums? That will surprise me at least, given the world's ecomonies are in downturn and have been moving that way for a year now. This period coincides with what will have been the planning period for the new tour. And I am amazed they'd be so bold as to do stadiums. The outlay is huge. Where's the money going to come from? Before all the tickets are sold etc... someone has to bankroll the thing. I would have thought the appetite for someone to invest like that would be very diminished thesedays.

Someone has to explain why I write Rumors and in Europe it's Rumours.

One of these days...

But besides that, when do they usually announce? I feel like they usually do it before the album comes out, but I may have made that up.

for vertigo tour what is date anoucement tour and when the tour begin?

The first two legs of the Vertigo Tour were announced together. U2.com's announcement came on 24 January 2005 (though it was reported by sources such as Billboard three days earlier), with the first shows on sale on 28 January. The first leg began on 28 March and the second on 10 June.

Talked to someone I know at a ticket broker.

He said that what he has heard is that a new single is quite possible right after the album comes out. That's when the presale for tickets will be.

Also, and this totally blows my mind if this actually happens, he said that the word going around the ticket broker offices are that U2 are going to be doing arenas AND stadiums.

Nothing's 100% confirmed but he said that's what its shaping up to be.

He said that what he has heard is that a new single is quite possible right after the album comes out. That's when the presale for tickets will be.

Also, and this totally blows my mind if this actually happens, he said that the word going around the ticket broker offices are that U2 are going to be doing arenas AND stadiums.

The Stones did arenas & stadiums on the last tour (and one before) so this is pretty smart of U2 for follow suite. Instead of playing 4-6 nights in the big markets play 1-2 stadium shows while your arena setup is ready for Kansas :)

this makes lots of sense on so many levels. it seems like "boots" is supposed to grab your attention like "the fly," and that we'll get the all-time U2 classic next, like "mysterious ways."

if they want to play lots of dates and fill stadiums, the new album needs to sell, and they're going to need more than just "boots" to do that.

no reason why they can't do arenas and stadiums.

and then, in my happy/perfect world, they release another album in a year and spend all of 2010 on tour as well.

That sucks that the tour for the US won't be until fall '09. U2 sure knows how to make us wait. :down:

About any major tour in U2 history started first with the US, AND ended there. So I'd say this is more than fair towards the European people, who supported U2 way before the American people knew who they were.

About any major tour in U2 history started first with the US, AND ended there. So I'd say this is more than fair towards the European people, who supported U2 way before the American people knew who they were.

actually, not sure that's true. U2 started out by making it in the States, and they toured here relentlessly from 1981 on when they first started out -- and their press here has always been more positive than it is in, say, the UK.

Check the Dutch press from the early days, they were pretty big here!
This was the first 'real' tour, for 11 O' clock, not counting the Irish dates and London tour.
U2 11 O'Clock Tick Tock Tour - U2 on tour
Boy tour:
· Boy 1st leg: Europe (56 shows)
· Boy 2nd leg: North America (9 shows)
· Boy 3rd leg: Europe (28 shows)
· Boy 4th leg: North America (60 shows)
· Boy 5th leg: European Summer Festivals (4 shows)
U2 Boy 1st leg: Europe - U2 on tour
Ofcourse the European gigs were lots of English ones, but still there were a lot of gigs. More than in America.
Starting indeed in 1981 U2 started to focus more on America.
U2 October Tour - U2 on tour
But yea, they were already huge in Europe by then.

June 24 & 25 (and I"m sure 27th), 2005, as the clock passes 11pm, Bono: "Larry's starting to look nervous; Apologies to the neighbours!!"

aaah yeah I remember that- was lucky enough to be at Croke 24 & 25 June- two amazing nights- can't believe it's almost 4 years ago

If Dublin is in Mid July that would be perfect. My birthday present for myself is to see them in Dublin and my birthday is the 25th. The 19th is close enough.

Looks like I'm going to Dublin for whole Summer from the beginning of July so It would be awesome if they had the Dublin dates in July.

Back
Top Bottom