Tour Handled Wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Bono & Edge's involvement with Spiderman is a reason why the leg isn't going into November like it did with Popmart.

Not to veer off topic, and I figure I should never whine about too much creative output from U2, but does anyone else think this whole Bono-and-Edge-doing-the-Spiderman-musical idea is a little silly? I mean, why not shelve this thing until after the worldwide tour, especially with a new album and another on the way? :wink:

1. On a technical level, Gillette Stadium will be one of the worst venues on the U2 360° Tour. The upper deck is vertically and horizontally far from the field because of the priority stadium designers gave to suites and the club lounges. Alumni Stadium would have been a significant upgrade.
2. I suspect that if U2 wanted to play Alumni Stadium, BC and the appropriate municipality would have made it work.
3. With field seating, the capacity would have been about 48,000 (the seating capacity is 44,500).
4. Even if two shows at Alumni were inadequate to meet demand, they could come back to Boston in 2010.

I agree Alumni would be a better show, thats why I said it would be awesome. alumni is very steep up top and it would 'hold' the sound better while still maintaining the stadium atmosphere that we have had since 97.

I dont think a deal with Newton (especially that neighborhood of Newton--Chestnut Hill) would be possible. Im a traffic engineer, have worked with BC in the past (also as an intern worked on the traffic for the new Gillette--dont blame me for the traffic there now, I was only an intern!). The residents there would get rid of BC football if they could. But anything is possible I guess $$$$$$$.

I guess what irks me with this thread is that the OP assumed they screwed up somehow and that U2 would have liked to play more sure if they just would have planned things better. its such an ignorant view to assume theyre not doing exactly what they think is the best thing for them.

I dont take it as being spoiled, its just not meeting expectations, so people get upset because they care so much. thats cool. but to automatically jump to the fact that its because of a screw up, or short sightedness of not taking into account the NFL sched is just so holier than thou.

:ohmy:
Not to veer off topic, and I figure I should never whine about too much creative output from U2, but does anyone else think this whole Bono-and-Edge-doing-the-Spiderman-musical idea is a little silly? I mean, why not shelve this thing until after the worldwide tour, especially with a new album and another on the way? :wink:

2009 will be the year of U2!!! who knew to actually believe Bono's over blown statement this time.

2 albums and a musical!!:ohmy::hyper:

yes they can hold a show on Thurs or even Fri and play on a game on Sun. most NFL fields are field turf (somebody on the board here did the research and said 21 out of 32).

and who said they are cutting the US leg short?? there are 15 US cities listed as having a show in Sept and Oct. there are only 14 Europe cities getting a show.

they dont want to do 30/40 shows a leg this time around. my theory (based purely on hope) is that they actually plan to finish a new album and release for Christmas.

My feeling is we will see the next album at this time next year.

For one, the next couple of months will be focused more on rehearsing for the tour than creating or finishing new songs. They won't have much time off until the end of October, so I think they'll use November to January to finish the new album and for Bono and Edge to finish Sipderman.

The other reason is that I believe they will want to give No Line a full year to sell and not have a new album compete with it. They already have 4 singles planned, which will take it into the fall and I'm sure they'll want to work it for sale up util the Grammys in February. Next years Grammy's can actually be a good platform to launch the new album for a march or April release. Instead of playing a song from No Line at the awards, they could play Every Breaking Wave to start the launch for Songs Of Ascent. By the time the 2010 tour starts in June, it won't seem like they are still touing behind aan old album, as they will also have a brand new album's worth material to make it seem like a fresh new tour.

I hate to give up on 2 albums in 09, but these are all good points.

I always think of AB/Zooropa coming out right on top of each other, but it was what Nov 91 to Feb 93?? so 16 months.

While I guess they have some control as the writers of the music, the timing isn't primarily under their control. :wink: I don't think they knew when they signed on to this a century ago (OK maybe not a century, but 4-5 years ago) that their next album would be delayed nor that the rest of the production would be a go in the midst of a tour!

While I guess they have some control as the writers of the music, the timing isn't primarily under their control. :wink: I don't think they knew when they signed on to this a century ago (OK maybe not a century, but 4-5 years ago) that their next album would be delayed nor that the rest of the production would be a go in the midst of a tour!

This is also huge musical production that began right before or when the economy started it's downslide. There has to be some re-evaluation of launching such a show when Broadway musicals are closing as we speak.

U2 will put out their next album and follow with the musical in 2010. (I think) They may launch it this year and if it proves sucessful, they could win a Tony as well as grammys.
They WILL have a grammy(s) win for NLOTH. Mark my words. :up:

I think U2.com is handling things wrong, to an extent - they should announce all the dates tickets go on sale now instead of "ON SALE SOON!" and clearly list the prices, as I'm pretty sure the US prices aren't confirmed yet

as for the original post, nope, don't care

Yes, I agree! It would be much better if we already knew the exact days of when the pre-sale for each show will start and list all the prices tickets in English!

Coz apart from having to cross broads here in Europe you also have to remember all the different languages and currency's. Although now with the euro, currency is not so much an issue, which is why I'm trying for Berlin coz even though Gothenburg would be a slightly closer venue for me but Sweden still has it's own currency, i.e. the Kroner, also my Swedish is even worse than my German!! :lol:

Some here need to realized that this stage will take a day or two to seat up AND take down the scaffolding. Like past u2 stadium tours there's more than one "skeleton" setup where they hang the single set of lights/PA/bells&whistles.

The difference between stadiums and arenas is that smaller stage can be set up in 6 hours and taken down and trucked away in 2-3 hours. There can be sports events the day before and day after. Here, they have to give plenty of days off away from NFL games.

As for the floor of the stadium, it's usually plywood covering the grass and fans walking on huge plastic sheeting. For artificial turf they roll it up like a carpet and put it in storage under the stands.

I think the venue is Phoenix is some exclusive deal where it's grass in an indoor stadium. It's on wheels and grown outside the stadium!!! The u2 show should have fans on the bare concrete underneath.

Live Nation and U2 are being VERY cautious with the rollout of US shows. Nobody knows whether they will sellout instantly or not.

I don't think anyone should be "ashamed" of themselves, but here's what I think has happened, reading between the lines: U2 rushed NLOTH, just like they did with Pop. It was supposed to be released before last Xmas, to capitalize off holiday sales, but the songs weren't ready. They had to delay it and have a spring release. Even as they were finishing the album, it was rushed. The band was editing and deleting songs from the running order, right up until the end. (Eno: "tell them they're being f***ing cun*s" ... Edge: "it was a little tricky at the end, because Eno and Lanois were musicians as well as producers," etc.) There was dissension about the first single -- Eno wanted 'Moment of Surrender' but the band went with 'Boots' which hasn't charted well. You get the idea.

Unlike 'Pop', NLOTH has been extremely well-received by critics. Perfect 5-star reviews from Rolling Stone, Q Magazine, and Blender.

The band also decided to release another companion album in fall 2010. They've decided to tour stadiums in 2009, so that they don't have to play as many shows as they would with an arena tour. The stadium tour has also been a little rushed (Raleigh, NC being dropped from the tour; tour's name changing from 'Let Me In the Sound' to 'Kiss the Future' to '360'). The arena tour will be in 2010, after both albums have been released.

Just my 2 cents, and much of this is just a hunch/speculation on my part, as I try and connect the dots.

In any event, I'm just grateful that the band is making amazing music and I'm excited for the tour.

:applaud: to all of the above. I read on another thread a few days ago that, for various reasons, this (2009) jaunt is more like a promo tour than anything else, because U2's usual touring strategy has been blown out of the water (presumably because of their own indecision in being unable to ever decide when an album is finished). Yes, there will be a fuller tour in 2010, and yes they will go to places other than Europe and the US. People complaining about no show in Philadelphia / Tampa etc should think of those fans in other countries - I think they would be more justified in complaining (Australia, NZ, far east, S America etc).

One other question - what's the weather likely to be for the US dates in early autumn?

One other question - what's the weather likely to be for the US dates in early autumn?

Could be anywhere from 0-32 C, depending on where in the U.S.
(That's 32-90 F for us Americans)

Chicago's September average 15-26 C

Boston's Sept. average 15-23 C

Phoenix Oct. average 18-32 C

Vancouver Oct. average 6-14 C

It should be perfect concert temps.

Mark

USA Welcome to the rest of the world

Interesting to read comments form US fans like.
"I dont think I can be bothered with a four drive to see U2"
Or
"its going to cost an arm & a leg to go"

Well Hello,
welcome to what it is like for us Europeans, Australians, Mexicans,Japanese etc etc etc.

Last time U2 played within an hour of my home was 1983

Everytime I have seen U2 or any other major band/artist for that matter I have had to travel.

Welcome to the real world this is what it is like for us everytime our favourite bands come on tour.

We have to travel because we dont have enormodomes at every corner.

A full Uk tour is 6-8 venues max for a big act. Multiple nights if you are lucky.

Think yourself lucky you've had all those shows over the years in your huge arenas I would give anything to see U2 indoors. I doubt I will ever see it though!.

So get over it

Welcome to the real world this is what it is like for us everytime our favourite bands come on tour.

So people who live in major cities in the US and Europe don't live in the real world? I'm sure there's some fans in Montana who would have to travel a lot longer than 8 hours to see them.

Interesting to read comments form US fans like.
"I dont think I can be bothered with a four drive to see U2"
Or
"its going to cost an arm & a leg to go"

Well Hello,
welcome to what it is like for us Europeans, Australians, Mexicans,Japanese etc etc etc.

Last time U2 played within an hour of my home was 1983

Everytime I have seen U2 or any other major band/artist for that matter I have had to travel.

A full Uk tour is 6-8 venues max for a big act. Multiple nights if you are lucky.

Think yourself lucky you've had all those shows over the years in your huge arenas I would give anything to see U2 indoors. I doubt I will ever see it though!.

So get over it

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f304/tour-handled-wrong-195122.html

You and Matt should get together and whine about who has it worse...

Maybe we can merge this thread again with one about urban living versus rural living, too.
You know, it's actually more eco-friendly, and you have a smaller carbon foot print if you live in a large city.
:rant:

Mark:lol::doh:

My complaints about the "selling" of the tour stem from the concept: this will be the first U2 tour that detracts itself from the album's concept (e.g. Joshua Tree Tour, Zoo TV, Elevation et. al.). The "360" sounds corporate to me and the logo for the tour is terrible. I really have enjoyed the visual concept of NLOTH and was looking forward to a tour that would have great visual representations (t-shirts, programs). However, the "360" motif looks more like a vidoe game or IMAX gimmick. Due to the fact that they scrapped "Kiss the Future" just before the announcement of the tour scares me: it reveals that this is happening on the fly (no pun). Now, take into account they are doing very few stadium shows, that will only add pressure on the band: if they have a bad show, it will equate to having 3 or 4 bad arena shows. Given the opening night of Vertigo in Chicago was not their strongest (Bono met w/ Greg Kot the following day out of concern), it is quite possible we could rehash the Pop Tour with a string of poor showings. Bad press in this economy would kill the tour. So the stakes are high. They had better do Streets as "classicaly" as they can... otherwise there will be open seats.

I'm not worried about the tour. They will still be my favorite band no matter what and I will still go and see them on tour no matter what. If they don't sell out the stadiums that will be more shows for me to go to.

I think the promoters should be ashamed of themselves, I feel as if this tour is being handled badly at the moment. Why in the world would you schedule a US tour playing only football stadiums during the NFL season?!?!? This is the reason why there isn't going to be very many weekend shows. 2009 should be the time they have a full North American tour not 2010, this means that in 2010 most fans have to wait 16 months prior to the album release date to see them in North America. Sounds very stupid. Should of just scaled the stage down and did arena shows. It sucks having to wait till June-July 2010 to see the band play.

:down: Why should they go there first?

If there is one place I would like to see U2 play even just one more show in, it's (Northern) Ireland.

My complaints about the "selling" of the tour stem from the concept: this will be the first U2 tour that detracts itself from the album's concept (e.g. Joshua Tree Tour, Zoo TV, Elevation et. al.). The "360" sounds corporate to me and the logo for the tour is terrible. I really have enjoyed the visual concept of NLOTH and was looking forward to a tour that would have great visual representations (t-shirts, programs). However, the "360" motif looks more like a vidoe game or IMAX gimmick. Due to the fact that they scrapped "Kiss the Future" just before the announcement of the tour scares me: it reveals that this is happening on the fly (no pun). .

i think at the last minute something clicked on running with U2360, like...
U23
U23D
U2360
right?

U218, kind of too, but that is more like sesame street "one of these things is not like the other..." :)

Why do you suppose they backed off this list (which was reportedly published in Billboard at one point)?

*NOTE: Rasta's post is from 2ND LEG US Tour Dates Leaked
These cities were temporarily posted on billboard.com
I was writing the cities and stadium names down but then they disappeared before I could get the exact dates and European dates. Not sure what to make of this.

Chicago, IL - Soldier Field
Philadelphia, PA - Lincoln Financial Field
Washington, D.C. - Fed Ex Field
East Rutherford, NJ -Giants Stadium
Boston, MA - Gillete Stadium
Pittsburgh, PA - Heinz Field
Toronto, ON - Rogers Centre
Montreal, QC - Olympic Stadium
Detroit, MI - Ford Field
Atlanta, GA - Georgia Dome
Tampa, FL - Raymond James Stadium
Miami, FL - Dolphin Stadium
Houston, TX - Reliant Stadium
Dallas, TX - Venue T.B.A.
Denver, CO - Mile High Stadium
Phoenix, AZ - University of Phoenix Stadium
Las Vegas, NV - Sam Boyd Stadium
San Diego, CA - Qualcomm Stadium
Los Angeles, CA - Venue T.B.A.
Oakland, CA - Oakland Coliseum
Seattle, WA - Q West Field
Vancouver, BC - BC Place Stadium

It seems to me that this schedule would have been fine - although it would have been bloody cold night doing an outdoor show in Seattle at the end of the tour!

I miss the Kingdome!

What makes me laugh with the people bitching about the tour name, is that we had people bitching about the last 2 tours being called the elevation tour and vertigo tour, and now they have changed it to something different people are bitching about it not being named after the album, or song of the album.

Why do you suppose they backed off this list (which was reportedly published in Billboard at one point)?

*NOTE: Rasta's post is from 2ND LEG US Tour Dates Leaked

It seems to me that this schedule would have been fine - although it would have been bloody cold night doing an outdoor show in Seattle at the end of the tour!

I miss the Kingdome!

Well if you read the part under the tour announcement, it still says they will be visiting those citys.

My feeling is there is more to come, it happens with every tour...

I have my suspisions about Rasta's post. She said she typed them all down "in case they took it down", why didn't she copy and paste with dates?

My feeling is there is more to come, it happens with every tour...

I have my suspisions about Rasta's post. She said she typed them all down "in case they took it down", why didn't she copy and paste with dates?

Fair point, but I think that her post was likely truthful because the actual tour dates correlate very well with the list that she gave us (a couple of cities in the Northeast are flipped in the sequence).

Maybe the reason for the delay is that they are trying to reincorporate some of the original cities? Probably wishful thinking, though . . . .

I pray to Jebus that they don't play the Oakland Coliseum (Stadium), whether it be in 2009 or 2010. :huh:

EDIT: If Rasta's list was, at one point, THE list, and if the "official" itinerary stays the same, the cities they removed are the following:

Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Montreal
Detroit
Miami
Denver
San Diego
Oakland
Seattle

Back
Top Bottom