Thoughts about the new stage design? + Rolling Stone re: T H E C L A W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddamnit, guys, the giant crab support structure is not going to move. :lmao: It's the support structure for the entire PA system and 360 degree screen which together weigh hundreds (thousands?) of pounds!

The actual centre stage on the ground also appears to be oval-shaped, so why would that rotate, either? Why is there any need to have it rotate when the band can just walk around with the fans getting an unobstructed view (save for the outer 4 support poles)?

Critical thinking, people! :heart:

about that wakway... how's bono gonna reach it?
I can't see him standing still on the little stage all the time...

Curious that they got clearance for the circle ramp, when fire regulation had it cut in half 2005 for Europe.

They were allowed to do so for Italy and Slane in 2001.

Curious that they got clearance for the circle ramp, when fire regulation had it cut in half 2005 for Europe.

They were allowed to do so for Italy and Slane in 2001.

Oh, is that why the configuration was different outside the U.S.? I always wondered about that...

Live Nation has hooked up the Jonas Bro's as well...

"The production will include a 50-metre stage centered in the arena that "aims to give a larger number of Jonas Brothers fans a closer, more interactive live concert than they’ve ever experienced before," Live Nation said in a release. "The show will feature cutting edge technology used in a one-of-a-kind circular water screen, multi-color laser effects, motion automated video screens, a giant crane levitating over the audience plus other surprises that will bring the tour to the next level of concert entertainment."

U2 has also announced that band will utilize a central stage that allows them to give a concert in the round during its tour."

Check out the link from the Vancouver Sun:

Jonas Brothers to perform in Vancouver

Yup. Jonas Bro's and U2 sharing about the same stage brought to you by Live Nation...

Wherever U2 goes the Bro's will be there as well... check the Dallas info, here is the Vancouver info...

I'll only be seeing U2 although I'm curious to see how the "other" stage looks.

Live Nation has hooked up the Jonas Bro's as well...

"The production will include a 50-metre stage centered in the arena that "aims to give a larger number of Jonas Brothers fans a closer, more interactive live concert than they’ve ever experienced before," Live Nation said in a release. "The show will feature cutting edge technology used in a one-of-a-kind circular water screen, multi-color laser effects, motion automated video screens, a giant crane levitating over the audience plus other surprises that will bring the tour to the next level of concert entertainment."

U2 has also announced that band will utilize a central stage that allows them to give a concert in the round during its tour."

Check out the link from the Vancouver Sun:

Jonas Brothers to perform in Vancouver

Yup. Jonas Bro's and U2 sharing about the same stage brought to you by Live Nation...

Wherever U2 goes the Bro's will be there as well... check the Dallas info, here is the Vancouver info...

I'll only be seeing U2 although I'm curious to see how the "other" stage looks.

First they cop the 3D movie thing. Then they cop the STAGE. DAMMIT, JOBROS! :rant:

EDIT: Or, perhaps, we should THANK the JoBros! They just accidentally gave us some sweet new info on the stage!
Water screen? Motion-activated :)hmm:) video screens? GIANT CRANE LEVITATING OVER THE AUDIENCE? :drool::drool::drool:

(This is, of course, assuming they're using the same exact stage and not just similar stages.)

First they cop the 3D movie thing. Then they cop the STAGE. DAMMIT, JOBROS! :rant:

EDIT: Or, perhaps, we should THANK the JoBros! They just accidentally gave us some sweet new info on the stage!
Water screen? Motion-activated :)hmm:) video screens? GIANT CRANE LEVITATING OVER THE AUDIENCE? :drool::drool::drool:

(This is, of course, assuming they're using the same exact stage and not just similar stages.)

It's obviously not the same stage. JoBros are playing at GM arena, U2 is at BC Place Stadium.

the stage itself may rotate, but there is no way the whoel structure is going to move.

Yeah, I think there's a good chance the stage will rotate. If it doesn't, they'd have to move the mics and monitors around between songs. Or they could also play with wireless gear like they do on the b-stage, but for the whole show.

does anyone already figured out what the 7 squared boxes are thet are visible in every stadium-drawing. They are on top of the seats section in a half-circle at the back of the stadium.... smth to do with light? Or maybe this hypermodern spot-audio-system ?

the stage itself may rotate, but there is no way the whoel structure is going to move.

Yah I think the middle portion of the stage will rotate and also go up and down.Maybe thats how the band will come on stage by rising up from under the stage.Im just wondering how Bono is going to get to that walkway ramp?

It's obviously not the same stage. JoBros are playing at GM arena, U2 is at BC Place Stadium.

I thought I heard somewhere that there were three U2 stages or something...Probably just the Interference Telephone Effect, though.
Either way, good point. :up:

Neither the stage, nor the supporting structure will move. The Crab is not even that forward thinking in terms of engineering.

Knowing Mark Fisher's M.O. like I know the back of my hand this is going to be a very simple steel structure - basically two arches in two directions. Picture the Popmart arch in two directions.

The whole idea is tension and compression for anyone who has sat through a structural engineering class. The big squares at the Crab's 'feet' are actually ballast (basically giant weights) that will prevent the crab from moving. They will either be concrete slabs, or more likely giant tanks to be filled with water. Fisher has used this method on every tour he has designed. It is a cheap and easy way to keep stages in place. Giant plastic tanks are toured (and usually kept under the stage) - the steel structure is connected to them like giant heavy feet and that creates the foundation. This prevents the structure from swaying in high winds and rain. The brilliance behind it is that all they have to do when they get to a city is fill them with water. When enough are used they achieve the necesary weight to keep the steel structure in place.

The tricky part about the crab is its geometry. All the lights and sound and stuff will be pulling the body of the crab down directly over the stage in compression, thus pushing the legs out in tension. That is wny the ballast has to be heavy enough to push it back so C=T.

02.IL.24.gif

Here, however, if they are only utilizing four locations, I would guess they will tour four multi-ton concrete slabs. These are usually precast and are very commonly used to keep hoists attached to the sides of buildings when they are under construction. Since they usually tour at least one crane (ore rent locally) it is just about picking them up and dropping them on a flatbed trailer.

If the 170-ton gossip number is accurate (and it just may be with lights, sound, spiky thing, etc.) than divided by four it would only be 42.5 tons or 85,000 pounds being transferred to the crab's feet (plus the weight of the structure.) Not such a big deal.

As they seem to be utilizing arches (one of the strongest structural systems going back to the Romans) this really should not be all that difficult to tour.

Yes, they typically take three sets of structural steel with them when touring outside, but not all the electronics, lights, sound, and scenic elements (ie the really expensive stuff like LED screens.) Those items are packed up first after the gig, loaded-out and then trucked to the next location where one of the other two sets of steel has already been erected. It makes for a very efficient leap-frog logistics plan. All they have to do is set up the steel in three consecutive cities, then move the expensive assets and the band to the next city.

So thus, there will be three crabs.

As for the fabric tensile stuff on top, I have to imagine what we have seen is only very sketchy. It is obviously there to hide the guts of the production, but I do not think (hope) it is going to look like the basic renderings we have seen.

My current concern is the height of the crab. I actually hope the thing is extremely high. If the footprint shows something approximately 50 yards by 50 yards as can be seen on the US football stadium diagrams, I am hoping the lights are trimmed at a very high level, otherwise this thing is going to look very squat.

In any case, I am amped up by this idea because I truly think the endzone stadium show has run its course. Between U2, The Rolling Stones, Genesis, and I hate to say it, Bon Jovi, I really do not think there is much more you can do with a stage and a giant screen to be impressive.

Lets see what transpires, but I hope the team continues to release nuggets for geeks like me to chew on.

I actually don't think the stage turns. I think its just showing us that you can see the stage from all angles, thus, 360°.

I totally agree with this.

There used to be a moving stage a long time ago at "The Forum" at Ontario Place.

It was circular and rotated in a circle and was much smaller in scale.

I saw the Commodores perform there.

The open-air Forum theatre sat 3,000 and had additional grass 'seats'. The roof structure was a hyperbolic paraboloid positioned on cement bastions. It covered a 68-foot (21 m) revolving stage, giving near 360 degree sightlines. The roof was made out of tongue and groove plywood, covered by copper sheathing.

Bono -- that hypoctiral wanker -- how much water will go to waste on these damn Crab ballasts!
:wink:

"True to the band's ideals, after each show the water from these ballasts will be donated to the sick and poor from the city to drink, free of charge!"
--tedconnorsnewsblog.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom