Thoughts about the new stage design? + Rolling Stone re: T H E C L A W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read somewhere that the band will be BASE jumping out of a Blimp (I guess that is not a base) and then parachuting down onto the Crab, then descending to the stage via bungee cord.

Would that be gimmick-worthy?

Something 'Behind' the Stage

After looking at each of the stadium layouts, I think there will definitely be something 'behind' the stage, and if I had to guess it would be a low screen a la the Elevation tour.

If you look at each of the images you will see that all the seats that will have a blocked view are hatched, or shaded-in behind the mix desk, the loudspeaker relay towers and behind the stage in each layout (unless it is an open backed stadium.) This would back my question of why the stage is at one end instead of actually in the middle of the stadium.

My feeling is the team wanted to release some of the imagery of the layout, but not all. I think there will be some big surprises.

Due to this speculation, and if possible, I will be looking for tickets NOT in the section closest to the stage at the end of the stadium, but rather on sides.

Here are a sample of the layouts with the shading:

lg_barcelona.jpg

lg_chorzow.jpg

lg_newyork.jpg

I just read somewhere that the band will be BASE jumping out of a Blimp (I guess that is not a base) and then parachuting down onto the Crab, then descending to the stage via bungee cord.

Would that be gimmick-worthy?

:drool::drool::drool:

:wink:

maybe this should go to the 'stage design' thread???
but you are prob right. Furthermore, in every drawing tehre are these black or white squared blocks..?

i'm guessing there's a lot more to this then what we've seen, and as we get closer and closer to the first show more details will leak out.

first off, the first image on the intro screen looks much more impressive, and different, then the spidey stage.

plus i'm very interested in the "put on your headphones" line on the intro... there's gotta be a meaning to that besides the fact that the website plays music.

to heighten the sound experience we will all get a set of airplane headphones when we enter the stadium..but they will be $5 of course :D

New tour stage info!!

Hi everyone!!!
Yesterday we knew that u2 didn't put Belgium on the list:sad:
but today, we Belgians got some good news!!!
U2 wants to put Belgium on the list!!!!!Herman Schueremans(Belgiums best festival organizer(remember U2 in Werchter in '83))negotiated with U2!!!
But also :The stage is once again a Belgian production(stageco) and they revealed a little bit about the stage!!!!

something will be lifted!!!that something weighs 170 ton!!!
and it also stretches something over the entire football field!!!!

If someone knows more about the stage itself, just let us know!!!
Coooooolllll:hyper::hyper:

a giant b-stage perhaps? that would mean having the Claw at one end of the stadium instead of the middle would make some sense if there was a b-stage that spanned across the field.

Maybe that X shaped stage has rollers on it and moves towards the crowd. Maybe that is why that black square is sectioned off . It could roll on those dotted lines towards the crowd. Bono did say the stage would be close to the crowd.

ahh all of this is hurting my brain!!

Im sure there is more to this set up than weve seen and I also think that the image on 360.u2.com is not really the right proportional size. I mean if you look at the outdoors vertigo/popmart/zoo tv set up, those stages were very high up off the ground. I think this "claw" will be almost as high as the top of the vertigo stage was. :hmm:

I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed by this stage design. But I'm sure the tour will be great nonetheless.

I actually don't think the stage turns. I think its just showing us that you can see the stage from all angles, thus, 360°.

I actually don't think the stage turns. I think its just showing us that you can see the stage from all angles, thus, 360°.

That's my impression. A rotating stage would be a) absolutely beyond the limits of non-sarcastic cheesiness that I can tolerate, and b) a logistical nightmare with underworld having to exist below it.

Plus if they are drinking, well.. that could make a big mess on the stage and possibly on the front row.

Extender b-stages / ramps, would make sense considering the talk of getting closer to the audience.. ahhh hype.. love it :D
All these big X's - marking spots..

The more I look at it i think that this x stage moves out along the black square towards the crowd. If this is true it would bring the stage half way to the stadium thus bring it to a 360 view.I also noticed most of the diagrams have a thin elliptical skecth outline around this stage. I believe the fans would be in this circle and the stage would float over them. If the stage doesnt move towards the center then it would not be a 360 view eniterly, cause Elevation and Vertigo both had 360 views of the stage so this nothing new for U2 or any other band either.

The more I look at it i think that this x stage moves out along the black square towards the crowd. If this is true it would bring the stage half way to the stadium thus bring it to a 360 view.I also noticed most of the diagrams have a thin elliptical skecth outline around this stage. I believe the fans would be in this circle and the stage would float over them. If the stage doesnt move towards the center then it would not be a 360 view eniterly, cause Elevation and Vertigo both had 360 views of the stage so this nothing new for U2 or any other band either.

er...Elavation and Vertigo were 360? not the ones I went to! they may of done it different elsewhere

Yeah the Elevation and Vertigo tours sold seats all around the arena thus a 360 view. the only way this can be considered a 360 view if this monstrousity extends to the middle of the field otherwise it would be no different than the last two tours. that X thing has to be on rollers. If it was it would glide over the GA crowd to the middle .Just look at the diagram and visualize it.

But they have been talking about never doing "stadiums" like this before.

I agree, this stage looks crazy, think of the scale - it takes up 1/2 a foot-ball field, imagine how tall it is, plus the extra stuff they haven't shown anyone....this is a massive stage design and I don't think there are any shitty seats in the house, GA will be awesome for sure but I think if you can go to 2 shows, a seat in the stands might be worth it too! :lol:

Bono said this was a feat of enigneering. that is a hint of the mobility of the stage. If he was referring to lasers and led screens then he would have referred to it as a visual feat. Enigneering means that the stucture itself is capable of something never seen before. U2 knows bands have done in the round concerts before, Metallica have done this for like 15 years. Bono isnt referring to the 360 view he is referring to the stucture itself. i personally will witness this concert from many seats and views through out the tour.

Hi everyone!!!
Yesterday we knew that u2 didn't put Belgium on the list:sad:
but today, we Belgians got some good news!!!
U2 wants to put Belgium on the list!!!!!Herman Schueremans(Belgiums best festival organizer(remember U2 in Werchter in '83))negotiated with U2!!!
But also :The stage is once again a Belgian production(stageco) and they revealed a little bit about the stage!!!!

something will be lifted!!!that something weighs 170 ton!!!
and it also stretches something over the entire football field!!!!

If someone knows more about the stage itself, just let us know!!!
Coooooolllll:hyper::hyper:

where did you read that lifting part and 170 ton part?

Furthermore, I read from the stageco-guy that there will be 3 stages touring around, and that 26 persons (incl. 10 drivers) will be busy to build the stage. This building will take 5 days to be ready...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom