Thoughts about the new stage design? + Rolling Stone re: T H E C L A W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not impressed with this at all. It feels as if it is too enveloped. Nothing will ever quite match Zoo TV "Outside Broadcasts", but I can't get over those God awful support posts. It's a tent. It could set up two different experiences: those in the tent and those outside. U2 has always made a stadium event feel inclusive. This could debase that experience. The visual dynamic was a letdown, too. Seems standard. I was hoping for something more progressive. If there is a rotating stage, I will not be attending. That is cheap and fit for second-rate acts like George Strait, not U2. In other words, Joe Strummer wouldn't be seen on a rotating stage. I hope U2 maintains its ethos in this regard.

HighHorse.jpg

football-nfl-field-dimension-diagram-lrg.gif

so based on the giants stadium schematic, i would say the bono's super spider is between 180 and 200 feet wide... i read on a site that giants stadium is 144 feet high. so this thing could easily be tall enough so that the upper levels can easily see the stage without obstruction. in fact, the tower on top of spidey should probably be easily visable from outside the stadium.

football-nfl-field-dimension-diagram-lrg.gif

so based on the giants stadium schematic, i would say the bono's super spider is between 180 and 200 feet wide... i read on a site that giants stadium is 144 feet high. so this thing could easily be tall enough so that the upper levels can easily see the stage without obstruction. in fact, the tower on top of spidey should probably be easily visable from outside the stadium.

I just spoke to my friend who lives 5 minutes from Giants she said they are knocking it down? and in the middle of building something else behind it and that the parking is a nightmare :crack:

I just spoke to my friend who lives 5 minutes from Giants she said they are knocking it down? and in the middle of building something else behind it and that the parking is a nightmare :crack:

they're building a new stadium next to the old one. they're not knocking it down till after the upcoming football season.

parking isn't great, but the new jersey transit link with penn station is scheduled to be completed by september, so you should be able to train it to giants stadium straight from penn station.

stadium600.jpg

Oh, yeah, good point! He could use pedals for at least some effects, so that's one thing...
As for guitar storage, though, I have no idea. :hmm:

Yes and no - Edge uses a special board that controls all of his stompboxes, so as long as he had that, and his actual pedals (wah, whammy), he could put the big rack thing downstairs without any trouble.

Yes and no - Edge uses a special board that controls all of his stompboxes, so as long as he had that, and his actual pedals (wah, whammy), he could put the big rack thing downstairs without any trouble.

And Dallas can (and does) trigger almost all of the same effects. In the Letterman BD video, Edge has no floorboard at all.

As I was looking at the stage design it looks like it has some kind of circular ramp around a portion of the stage.Im wondering how the band are going to come out on stage?Will they rise up from under the stage?And will Bono walk on that ramp a little bit?:hmm:

its a very cool design and seems to have a lot of potential. I wanted GA tickets to the Giants stadium gig, but I think I might go for lower level seats.

Of course I'm just a boots so who knows what I'll get :doh:

I take it that the screen can move up and down. u2 will likely appear onstage as the screen is lifted.

I agree.....I wouldn't be surprised if the stage itself incorporated other planar movements also....they can't give it all away at this early stage...

they can't give it all away at this early stage...

Trent Reznor mentioned that some of his staging ideas from his recent tour would be used by U2.

I also don't see where the halosonic thing fits in. The PA also looks underserved.

Another factor is the number of shows played will dictate the exact final budget of each show. If sales are gangbusters they can add some extra features. Showco or the other 2-3 companies simply have a warehouse full lights and rigging - enough for dozens of tours to have equipment leased. Speaking of which, does this stage even fit in an airplane hanger like other shows during production rehearsals?

How many cranes would it take to raise this thing in every city? How much of the staging would need 2 sets to "leapfrog" from city to city?

The whole thing seems a little gimmicky, but shit, it'll still be pretty damn fun. I just half expect the design to come to life and start trampling all over the crowds, though, With a little capsule at the top where Paul McGuinne$$ (Paul McGuinne$ by this point) can control lasers aimed directly at illegal torrenters.

Hopefully that will happen in at least one concert, just to get a taste of what it would be like.

The whole thing seems a little gimmicky, but shit, it'll still be pretty damn fun. I just half expect the design to come to life and start trampling all over the crowds, though, With a little capsule at the top where Paul McGuinne$$ (Paul McGuinne$ by this point) can control lasers aimed directly at illegal torrenters.

Hopefully that will happen in at least one concert, just to get a taste of what it would be like.

and what part of cars made into spotlights and giant lemons wasn't gimmicky to you?

and what part of cars made into spotlights and giant lemons wasn't gimmicky to you?

Sure, but they're still props, not the full set-up. I'm more concerned with whatever shit this is about headphones that may or may not be related to the experience. I don't want to have to do something at a concert.

I'll get used to it, of course, and I'm glad they're going for something a bit more interesting than the last two.

no not wrong,it will not be used. the graphic on u2.com also reveals there will be nothinmg sold behind the stage... so for this venue this setup was not necessary. They can better leave out the whole tent structure so that everyone has a perfect view...

The layout graphics for every stadium show the lowest rows of the seating behind the stage as lighter - ie not for sale. This would suggest to me that there may be some sort of screens at ground level along the back of the stage thus justifying the end-of stadium configuration.

In Croke Park the upper levels of Hill 16 will be onsale as in all the other stadia. I think it's be amazing to leave it in terraced form for the concerts but i've a feeling it will have the temporary seating arrangement installed as happens when Soccer matches are played.

It's gonna be cool, but it doesn't feel real analogous to the aesthetic of the new record. But I guess a spare, grey stage would be pretty unexciting!

It seems like a better fit to the Vertigo tour.

Also, the spider image jumped into my mind, which made me think of Bowie's Glass Spider tour, infamous for being an over-stuffed garish mess.

I will be surprised if Edge buries his stuff below the stage. The man needs contact with his rig just for feedback alone! It's supremely weird not having your amps near you.

Sure, but they're still props, not the full set-up. I'm more concerned with whatever shit this is about headphones that may or may not be related to the experience. I don't want to have to do something at a concert.

I'll get used to it, of course, and I'm glad they're going for something a bit more interesting than the last two.

every u2 tour has been a gimmick since ZooTV.

heck, if you want you can even go back to the joshua tree with the whole dalton brothers gimmick.

the trabants were a gimmick. the mirror ball man was a gimmick. the fly was a gimmick. macphisto was a gimmick. the shades are a gimmick. popmart was one giant gimmick. the heart was a gimmick. the ellipse was a copied gimmick. their entire touring existance for the past 20+ years has been one gimmick after another.

why would gimmicks all of a sudden bother you now?

every u2 tour has been a gimmick since ZooTV.

heck, if you want you can even go back to the joshua tree with the whole dalton brothers gimmick.

the trabants were a gimmick. the mirror ball man was a gimmick. the fly was a gimmick. macphisto was a gimmick. the shades are a gimmick. popmart was one giant gimmick. the heart was a gimmick. the ellipse was a copied gimmick. their entire touring existance for the past 20+ years has been one gimmick after another.

why would gimmicks all of a sudden bother you now?

You seem pretty put out about this.

The last 2 tours (in N. America) were very scaled down, virtually no gimmicks compared to others touring (think of the Stones huge shows!), it's time for U2 to put on another huge spectacle....hopefully this time fans will go see the BIG show that razzles and dazzles europe all the time (notice how they always have stadium shows??)... POPmart didn't sell out in north america, and the band is gunna take another chance on us, so I hope people step up or this might be U2's last stadium tour here.

I pose my question again:

Will the stage the band is playing on rotate slowly like in the round?

If so Bongo may get Vertigo in his sexy boots while searching for a Line on the Horizon trying to recalibrate himself.

<>

Maybe the walkway thing is a barricade - separating a smallish group of privileged people closer to the stage to avoid crushing. Seems like they should walk around on it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom