Thoughts about the new stage design? + Rolling Stone re: T H E C L A W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm interested in the squared off area around the stage... this is why i think the stage might be elevated, and maybe they travel under the crowd to teh outter ramp they showed.

or perhaps there are ramps that lead to the ramps :hmm:

It's the outer GA crowd barrier. Same as U2 had on past tours.

All GA tickets are $55 and probably the random scanner thing again - although going back to "first come" should work in the US.

This stage set up has been done before a lot.
what we do not know is if they have any surprises which you can not see in the "video".

Up till now it is hardly a new idea to have a stage in the middle and play 360o but let's wait and see.

Peter Gabriel did a 360 stage in the middle of the arena for his Growing Up Tour.

Anyone else think of this when they first saw the stage schematic?

LAX%20Theme%20Building%208x12%20300%20dpi.jpg

Meanwhile I know so many people who could have done better rendering jobs of this thing than what was released. They should have spent some more time on it - but I have to say I am excited the band, management, and designers have taken a pro-design-press-release stance on this tour than letting us drool and be underwhelmed.

This is going to be cool, no matter what we see.

HAHAHAH I thought of LAX as soon as I saw it too!!!! :applaud::applaud:

Instead of one giant mcdonald's popmart arch - we get two !!!! I like the new stage design.

Anyone else think of this when they first saw the stage schematic?

LAX%20Theme%20Building%208x12%20300%20dpi.jpg

Exactly! :applaud:

Yes did an in-the-round/rotating stage show in the late 70's, with the singer standing on a raised platform in the middle:

2_1380_2.jpg

But it doesn't appear they ever took it outside.

Not impressed with this at all. It feels as if it is too enveloped. Nothing will ever quite match Zoo TV "Outside Broadcasts", but I can't get over those God awful support posts. It's a tent. It could set up two different experiences: those in the tent and those outside. U2 has always made a stadium event feel inclusive. This could debase that experience. The visual dynamic was a letdown, too. Seems standard. I was hoping for something more progressive. If there is a rotating stage, I will not be attending. That is cheap and fit for second-rate acts like George Strait, not U2. In other words, Joe Strummer wouldn't be seen on a rotating stage. I hope U2 maintains its ethos in this regard.

That tent is gotta be hella tall

lg_newyork.jpg

If those spider support posts are planted 200 feet apart (based on the Giants Stadium diagram), how tall do you suppose the tent it? If the tent is half as high as it is wide, wouldn't that make it about 100 feet tall?

I think the concept is great.....but the design is kind of cold and emotionless. A great concert setup ties the stage design to the band or to a greater idea.....ZooTV's setup couldn't have been used on ANY tour other than ZooTV's concept.

This.....is just a giant tent. It's not uniquely U2 in any way. You could give this thing to the Stones, Muse, any act capable of playing stadiums.

Yes but we havent actually seen it yet. Just 3D images.
That's true. I'm hoping the real thing has some more character to it. Vertigo had the speaker stacks and the rings, Elevation had the heart, let's not even need to mention Popmart.

We'll see if Willie has done a bit more stylisticly.

That said, there is plenty of opportunity to plaster OLED lights all over that thing and over what I'm assuming are the lighting towers at the other end of the stadium.

Another thought about Croke Park for those who know about the place. The stage / spider / tent setup is going to be in front of the Hill 16 terrace end, right? Would I be wrong in assuming that that end of the stadium can't be used by concert spectators for health and safety reasons, so there'll be a big empty expanse?

Another thought about Croke Park for those who know about the place. The stage / spider / tent setup is going to be in front of the Hill 16 terrace end, right? Would I be wrong in assuming that that end of the stadium can't be used by concert spectators for health and safety reasons, so there'll be a big empty expanse?

no not wrong,it will not be used. the graphic on u2.com also reveals there will be nothinmg sold behind the stage... so for this venue this setup was not necessary. They can better leave out the whole tent structure so that everyone has a perfect view...

They can better leave out the whole tent structure so that everyone has a perfect view...
Not likely....the entire sound rig and screen are suspended from the structure.

~

Also take note that from the 3D preview this is not a tent. The top is open so no one's staying dry if things go to shite. Larry would probably get one of those wussy drummer umbrella roof things though.

lg_newyork.jpg

If those spider support posts are planted 200 feet apart (based on the Giants Stadium diagram), how tall do you suppose the tent it? If the tent is half as high as it is wide, wouldn't that make it about 100 feet tall?

i don't know how many feet give 1 meter, but based on the AmsterdamArena scheme and the size of a soccerfield (50m wide), I would guess the tent-structure = 50x35x25 meters!

That means it will have the same width as the popmart-screen, more or less the same height as the popmart-arch, although the antenna will be higher (35-40m?) so huge!

i don't know how many feet give 1 meter, but based on the AmsterdamArena scheme and the size of a soccerfield (50m wide), I would guess the tent-structure = 50x35x25 meters!

That means it will have the ame width as the popmart-screen, more or less the same height as the popmart-arch, although the antenna will be higher (35-40m?)

I based my estimate on the Giants Stadium diagram because it has a football field. The width of a football field (between the sidelines) is 160 feet.

I based my estimate on the Giants stadium diagram because it has a football field. The width of a football field (between the sidelines) is 160 feet.

yes you are correct! I was wrong with the widt of a soccer field. It is 65 meters in the AdamArena. That means that this CRAB-structure has an estimated size of 65x40x30 meters (excluding antenne...).... thats fucking HUGE

yes you are correct! I was wrong with the widt of a soccer field. It is 65 meters in the AdamArena. That means that this CRAB-structure has an estimated size of 65x40x30 meters (excluding antenne...).... thats fucking HUGE

If that stage structure is really that big, then the animation at 360.u2.com didn't do it justice.

say ovrouir to the stunning huge ass screen graphics.:doh:
While the screen graphics probably won't be quite as big as, say, Vertigo Outdoor or POPmart, they're definitely going to be noticeable, especially if, as speculated, the canvases on the outside are screens as well.
Here's what I'm thinking the screens will display:
-Inner 360 Degree Screen: The main screen graphics, i.e. the GOYB lyrics and whatnot.
-Top Outer Screens: A version of Elevation's "band-cam," with one "screen" each for Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry.
-Side Outer Screens: A smaller version of the main screen graphics, kind of like the side-screens on Vertigo Outdoor.

All in all, it'll be a bit more ZooTV and a bit less POPmart, but it should still be great!

And another, totally unrelated thing: I doubt Edge's rig is going to be on stage. Why? Two words: sight lines. If he's standing by a rig, how will folks behind the rig see him?

He must have some stuff on stage though, he needs his effects and whatnots. Not to mention guitars. unless dallas scuttles around from a downstairs area with a new one each song.

He must have some stuff on stage though, he needs his effects and whatnots. Not to mention guitars. unless dallas scuttles around from a downstairs area with a new one each song.
Oh, yeah, good point! He could use pedals for at least some effects, so that's one thing...
As for guitar storage, though, I have no idea. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom