The "new" economy and the new album, tour, etc...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pricing is going to be interesting next tour. I don't see U2 doing arenas in the US. Playing 2-4 nights (back to backs) in major cities doesn't make sense for them at their age when they can play a stadium and draw 40,000+ every show. Some of these new stadiums are dying to host a concert production like U2. Last time U2 did a stadium show in the US (Popmart) most of the stadiums in major cities were dated & have now been replaced with facilites that are super state of the art.

With that in mind if U2 could sell $50, $75, & $125 for a stadium production they would sell a ton of tickets especially based on the Vertigo Tour. That was a hard ticket to get.

I just looked up Madonna stadium tickets and she is charging $55, $95, $165, $350(!!!!).

$350 for Madonna? :ohmy:

Does she sing "Like a Virgin" straddling your face for that price?

If I were in the music industry and fortunate enough to be working on the new U2 album, I would get that puppy to market STAT before this economic crapstorm gets any worse.

Is anyone else worried about how many shows they'll be able to get to next year (and hopefully into 2010)?

I sware, as I ponder a possible recession into a depression, I'm not thinking 'oh I hope I don't lose my house and have to move to a shantytown', I'm more often thinking 'oh I hope this isn't going to affect my ability to see as many U2 shows in as many cities as I want' :reject:

I like to think my priorities are in order :wink:

U2 released AB in 1991 and toured in 1992 - the same time another Bush left office with the country in an utter mess. Funny that in the last 40 years, there have been but 12 where we had a Democratic president. The last time we had one, we had a balanced budget and a surplus. Yet all the Republicans tried to do for 8 years was run him out of office. Yet, during that same 40 year period we had Watergate, Iran-Contra, the Gulf War, war with Iraq part 2, war on "terror", and two recessions. Hmmm.... :hmm:

Despite your political preferences, my point is that U2 was worried back then. So they started the ZOO TV in arenas at lower ticket prices to ensure that sales were strong. And they were. Eventually U2 moved to stadiums and the tour was a success. The lower ticket prices did take a toll and U2 weren't in the black until general tour merchandising (like T-shirts) was tallied.

While I don't expect U2 to cut back to $35/ticket, I do expect to see some changes. I don't think U2 can get away with $160/ticket. Yes, some people can afford it, but may choose not to spend it. Or if they do, it may just be on one or two shows, not eight. If U2 go wild on ticket prices, I know I'm cutting back. And U2 may once again go to arenas. They could probably have success in stadiums in certain cities - like Chicago, Boston, New York and many places in Europe. But not everywhere and certainly not throughout the U.S.

Therefore, I think U2 will tour, but it may be smaller and hopefully ticket prices will drop some. Otherwise, they may start seeing empty seats - not because the music is bad, but because when it comes to a house payment or a concert, guess which one wins?

my point is that U2 was worried back then. So they started the ZOO TV in arenas at lower ticket prices to ensure that sales were strong. And they were. Eventually U2 moved to stadiums and the tour was a success. The lower ticket prices did take a toll and U2 weren't in the black until general tour merchandising (like T-shirts) was tallied.

While I don't expect U2 to cut back to $35/ticket, I do expect to see some changes. I don't think U2 can get away with $160/ticket. Yes, some people can afford it, but may choose not to spend it. Or if they do, it may just be on one or two shows, not eight. If U2 go wild on ticket prices, I know I'm cutting back. And U2 may once again go to arenas. They could probably have success in stadiums in certain cities - like Chicago, Boston, New York and many places in Europe. But not everywhere and certainly not throughout the U.S.

Therefore, I think U2 will tour, but it may be smaller and hopefully ticket prices will drop some. Otherwise, they may start seeing empty seats - not because the music is bad, but because when it comes to a house payment or a concert, guess which one wins?

A few things to keep in mind:

U2 prices on the ZOO Arena tour and the ZOO Stadium tour were roughly the same, $25 VS. $30. Both were an increase over the $16.50 to $19.50 paid by fans on the Joshua Tree tour.

Then in 1994, concert promoters began to properly price tickets with multiple price levels based on true market demand based on the success the Eagles and Pink Floyd had on the start of their tours.

The average price of a U2 ticket in the USA jumped to $50 on POPMART, $78 on Elevation, and $97 on Vertigo. Some are predicting the average price on the next tour to be $120. This jump in price would match the jump in price from Elevation to Vertigo. While increased prices and a recession did not seem to impact ticket sales in 2001, it appears that it might in 2009.

Then, there is always the chance U2 will delay the album and tour until late 2009/early 2010 in the hope that the economy will be starting to recover by then.

If I were in the music industry and fortunate enough to be working on the new U2 album, I would get that puppy to market STAT before this economic crapstorm gets any worse.

Is anyone else worried about how many shows they'll be able to get to next year (and hopefully into 2010)?

I sware, as I ponder a possible recession into a depression, I'm not thinking 'oh I hope I don't lose my house and have to move to a shantytown', I'm more often thinking 'oh I hope this isn't going to affect my ability to see as many U2 shows in as many cities as I want' :reject:

I like to think my priorities are in order :wink:

Hear, hear!:up:

And um, wasn't the point of this thread originally to ask if we as fans are worried that we aren't gonna be able to afford ONE show, let alone the multiples that many of us are used to, and NOT if the band was gonna sell out/make money etc???:shrug:

p.s. i went to 8 popmart, 17(ish) on elevation, and like 22 (i would have to count) on vertigo. i definately won't be able to do anywhere near that at this point unless i win the freakin lottery! at this point i'll be lucky to do the 2 in my city, due to my own unemployment/job hunting problems in this economy. :sad:

p.s. i went to 8 popmart, 17(ish) on elevation, and like 22 (i would have to count) on vertigo. i definately won't be able to do anywhere near that at this point unless i win the freakin lottery! at this point i'll be lucky to do the 2 in my city, due to my own unemployment/job hunting problems in this economy. :sad:

Umm, and you complain about not being able to go to enough U2 shows.

Do you even have a life outside U2?

I'm sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Australia missed out on Elevation because our dollar hit the skids. It’s doing it again now and the expectation is that 2009 will be pretty bare as far as big tours are concerned. If at the end of ‘09 the Australian $ is under US 60c, then forget about it. The numbers simply won't add up. They'll either have to charge way more than people - 'good' economy or bad - will be willing to pay, tour at a massive guaranteed loss, or let it go.

Hear, hear!:up:

And um, wasn't the point of this thread originally to ask if we as fans are worried that we aren't gonna be able to afford ONE show, let alone the multiples that many of us are used to, and NOT if the band was gonna sell out/make money etc???:shrug:

You poor thing. I've been to two shows because I couldn't afford POP or ZooTV.

Back
Top Bottom