The CLAW Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but this is the first U2 tour where the band can't turn around and view all or most of what their stage is up to.

I would say ever since ZooTV there has been a lot missing from the vantage point of the stage... I think that's why they film so many of their shows.

ZooTV had screens and cars that were definately out of their sight.

The resolution of the pixels at PopMart probably looked pretty bad that close up.

Elevation the screens were above their heads...

Vertigo was about the same...

So I don't think this tour will really be all that different for them, it seems like a natural transition. It has the hugeness and new technology of PopMart, with the open back more intimate feeling of the last two tours...

Hmmm, I don't think you can read/see/recognise much on the screen when you're on stage, directly in front of it, because of the resolution. In fact, I think it would make you quite dizzy. The screens are made for the audience, not the band, the resolution is such that the people in the audience who have seats/spots further away from the stage can see what's going on. So I don't think this tour will be much different than other tours in terms what's visible for the band and what isn't.

I agree that the screens will lack the intimacy of the last two tours. Although the screens will allow for people in the audience to see from distant seats/spots, they also control what you see. I am sure it will still be amazing, but I do enjoy having the ability to watch the band even when they are not spot lighted.

Okay, only now am I actually picturing the "sideways" proposition. When Sicy first mentioned it, I pictured it on its side, so all four legs of the claw are sticking out into the field or something.

:lol:

I'll, uh, just be over here in the :headsmack: corner.

:reject:

Hahaha I was like, what's so funny? :scratch:

:giggle:

4581_1097847279464_1025086005_23022.jpg

4581_1097847239463_1025086005_23022.jpg

Does that catwalk that extends from the stage go into the audience or is that the back of the stage?

Those bridges are not going to be moving during the show. too dangerous, and what's the point really?

I don't see the videoscreen moving or changing shape or whatever during the show either.

But i do think there's a chance that larry and his drum kit will be on a rotating platform, judging from that last pic posted above...

I don't see the videoscreen moving or changing shape or whatever during the show either.

Why are people still saying this?

They commissioned a very well known designer to design such a screen so that it can change shape, and if you look at the up close photos it makes it very clear that screen changes.

not sure.. I haven't heard anything about this since about 2-3 months ago. I don't even remember who it was that suggested they might use this technology. Was it just rumor?

Bono mentioned the debut of some technolgy and fans took it from there. Not sure what else they could have been talking about.

Um, the screen maybe?

Or are you still convinced it doesn't do anything?

As it stands right now it's no different than a couple screens in a couple dozen US sports arenas. NIN and Madonna screens had some cool effects and were transparent.

If it changes shape, then yes it will be new technology.

I don't believe it does much more. We would have seen it expand etc in one of the photos or videos, during testing.

Also, I think it's a shame they won't have anything behind them, video visual wise. Bono and the band looked very cool in front of the zoo station distortion, fly words, and vertigo spirals, or the giant 'please' and flashing mofo colours.

As it stands right now it's no different than a couple screens in a couple dozen US sports arenas. NIN and Madonna screens had some cool effects and were transparent.

If it changes shape, then yes it will be new technology.

Well I guess you can continue to ignore all the facts, I guess some will just have to wait till opening night.

I think the screens will change shape, but I wouldn't be too sad if they didn't It's important the screens are good enough to capture what's going on on stage and will give a good view of the show for people in the more far away places, that's what they are there for. If there is also some advanced and innovative technology involved, then fine. I'm curious if we'll learn more about these screens and what they are able to do in the next days or weeks.

I don't believe it does much more. We would have seen it expand etc in one of the photos or videos, during testing.

Why? We haven't seen any of the other testing of lights, etc...

Have none of you seen the close up picture that shows the mechanics behind the screen? Have you not seen the designer's background?

Since the screen isn't in its final position yet, they cannot test the moving/expanding, but I'm quite sure we will see it soon.

Why? We haven't seen any of the other testing of lights, etc...

Have none of you seen the close up picture that shows the mechanics behind the screen? Have you not seen the designer's background?

I won't bet you, but I won't ignore you. you have points there, and I don't totally doubt. There does seem to be some shitload of mechanics within that screen, gotta be said.

Well I guess you can continue to ignore all the facts

yes, let's talk about facts please.

So far we have a lot of suggestions that the screen MIGHT do this and that....

So far the FACT is that we have not seen the screen move or split itself apart or whatever.

FACT is that it's all speculation so far.

yes, let's talk about facts please.

So far we have a lot of suggestions that the screen MIGHT do this and that....

So far the FACT is that we have not seen the screen move or split itself apart or whatever.

FACT is that it's all speculation so far.

There's speculation, and then there's an educated guess.

This is not speculation.

You don't hire Hoberman to design an ordinary screen, he's not a screen maker, they could have gone to anyone to just make a round screen. http://www.hoberman.com/portfolio.php

Photographic evidence of a lot moving parts not needed for a regular screen.

Plus we've been told months ago...

So these are the real facts, take them, ignore them, I don't care.

There's speculation, and then there's an educated guess.

This is not speculation.

You don't hire Hoberman to design an ordinary screen, he's not a screen maker, they could have gone to anyone to just make a round screen. Hoberman Associates - Transformable Design - Portfolio

Photographic evidence of a lot moving parts not needed for a regular screen.

Plus we've been told months ago...

So these are the real facts, take them, ignore them, I don't care.

You're begining to convert me into a believer...

Keep in mind that the public tours are only for a third of the day, probably 10am to 6pm.

Who knows what they get up to in the other 16 hours of each day testing wise.

I too think the screen movies because each "LED TILE" was unusually small for fast building and travel ease.

Looks to me that the bridges will shift into different positions during the show.

Also, it's pretty obvious that the screen is going to be a bit of a technological marvel. It's clearly designed for expansion and movement. I've a feeling that in it's expanded form it's going to be something so different and unexpected that we don't have any real reference points to imagine how it's going to look. It will be truly groundbreaking and I just can't wait to see it in action...

Also, it's pretty obvious that the screen is going to be a bit of a technological marvel. It's clearly designed for expansion and movement. I've a feeling that it's going to be something so different and unexpected that we don't have any real reference points to imagine how it's going to look. It will be truly groundbreaking and I just can't wait to see it in action...

let's hope so, because i don't think the light curtain on the Vertigo tour lived up to the hype at the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom