The CLAW Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ineresting part about greener touring:

Given that the artist is U2, how much was the carbon footprint a consideration in this design? Are there many LEDs or other energy efficient lighting?

U2 are buying carbon offsets in relation to the tour, but other than that I don’t want to speak for them regarding green issues. For myself though, I have spent much time considering the issue and wondering what possible justification there can be in such a carbon hungry enterprise. Radiohead are friends of mine and I have talked to Thom Yorke at length about greener touring. I really admire what they have achieved and Thom is exceptionally sensible about the whole thing. However, with a tour of this magnitude it might appear abundantly clear that the greenest thing would be to just not do it at all. In our defense, even the most massive rock tours are extremely short-lived compared with, say, the life-span of a car factory in China. More importantly, though, on another level, a tour like this has value in another way. Even though eco-issues are becoming more crucial by the day, it would be cultural and spiritual suicide to declare that humankind should cease any and every activity, which is not utterly necessary or practical. I’ve been designing shows for a long time and quite regularly I will be approached by a total stranger who is burning to tell me that some show that I vaguely remember doing was “the high point of my life.” I’m not exaggerating; these shows affect people’s lives in a deeply significant way and somehow provide meaning. That being the case, I really believe that at least some of what we do as an industry has value that is worth a short-term carbon spend.

It's great that U2 are buying carbon offsets, that is truly the least that can be done to combat climate change. But, I don't fault them for touring or for not worrying more about carbon emissions.

Stand-alone events and the like certainly use resources, but it is every day infrastructure that uses the most. Events can be recognized for trying to make a difference (Lollapalooza has been doing a decent job of this), however real, long-term change comes from efficient building and renovation practices, traffic congestion reduction and reducing individual vehicle use, as well as many other day-to-day practices (reducing meat consumption, population management, protecting wild, natural spaces, etc).

Good for U2, but we all have a responsibility to do something every day.

Mark

can't see half of it, the leg is in the way haha lmfaoooooooo

seriously, being in the seats for that first photo would be a real pain... that leg is right in your face... would be hard to block it out...

headache:the moving mirrorball lemon didn't travel directly over the top of the crowd...

The bridges may not move during the show, but it's really not that complicated. Sure they seem a bit low but things are still in the planning phases. They may very likely be working out where they may work most effectively & might change during the first few shows... we'll see... but use a little imagination. They seem clearly designed to be used for their quintessential purpose. Of course, you have the barricades which might not afford you to reach to the bridges and they'll probably lock into place somehow to prevent unintended movement if if you can touch it. Plus, there are also crew members close to the stage that can assist with things like this, call me crazy.

well chap my ass and call me sally... the bridges are now where they are on the schematics... what a shock!

addon.php

where's your savior imagination now?

Yeah - I like Willie's no-bullshit approach to the environment. They do what they can, but th eshow must go on.

There are thousands of little things that have been advanced in the touring industry that reduce negative effects on the environment like pre-loading lights into trusses (thus reducing the number of case, thus reducing the number of cases in trucks, thus reducing the number of trucks, thus reducing the amount of petroleum) ad naseum.

Basically having 120 trucks on the road today equates to 240 10 years ago. things have changed and it sounds like there were a lot of lessons learned from the last Radiohead tour which took it to the extreme.

So there is gear onstage - whoo-hoo!

Looks like they are testing their rain shields.

I re-read some of the last pages and I have to say that I would be surprised if we ever saw a photo of the screen in action. They need some surprises for us and I have to imagine they will only test this at night when the stadium is closed and no one is there.

Oh - and the bridges move.

Well, I think the latest pictures answer the question about the ramps. I think they are in their permenant spot for showtime currently. I do not think they move at all during the show for reasons outlined by others on this thread.

I'm starting to wonder though about the screen and if it really does expand as was discussed previously. Obviously goes up and down but there hasn't been a single picture showing the "honeycomb" effect that was talked about previously. Seems like they would be testing that at some point and there would be a pic of it.

Looks like the techs are already there testing the gear. Will be interesting what is heard from outside the stadium very soon. :)

I'm starting to wonder though about the screen and if it really does expand as was discussed previously. Obviously goes up and down but there hasn't been a single picture showing the "honeycomb" effect that was talked about previously. Seems like they would be testing that at some point and there would be a pic of it.

I think there are a few things that they want to leave so that the general public doesn't see how it will work...for WOW effect. The individual LEDs don't need to be slammed right up against one another to do effective video, as we've seen since Popmart they can be spaced apart and still render effectively. Also, the 'accordion' style arms are a dead giveaway imo. Something moves, otherwise those would be unnecessary.

Niiiiice. I'm sure they will test the screen sooner or later, then we'll know if it really expands. I wonder if they move it up when the show starts, that would just be WOW.

About the bridges: I don't know. It makes sense that they are at the ends of the ellipse. The one thing I wonder, though, is if it isn't a bit dangerous crossing these bridges to the elipse. The bridges and the catwalk don't seem very broad, so let's hope the band won't fall down when they're a little too excited. :lol:

The main stage looks very small in this huge setting.

I'm confident it will expand, but like gvox said, they have to keep something a secret for the actual show. :) It looks like they still need to raise the speaker assemblies into their final position (there does seem to be a blank space above each one), otherwise I can't see how the screen could meaningly expand without first lowering almost to the stage.

Well if it went 'outwards', that would expand the viewing area and the size of the visuals for people far away, no?

Yeah. I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying that with the speakers in their current position the screen can't expand much without hitting the speakers. Not quite sure why the speakers haven't been raised all the way up to the top yet.

Niiiiice. I'm sure they will test the screen sooner or later, then we'll know if it really expands. I wonder if they move it up when the show starts, that would just be WOW.

There's 16 hours or so in the day when the Stadium does not host tours. Plus it makes more sense to test at night.

Yeah. I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying that with the speakers in their current position the screen can't expand much without hitting the speakers. Not quite sure why the speakers haven't been raised all the way up to the top yet.

I wondered that also..stuff keeps getting refined, I guess. It might be near impossible to access the wires plugged into the very highest speakers in each group if they raise them all the way up though. So they'd leave it slightly down until show day / everything's tested. They'd want to do isolation testing for each speaker, I'm thinking.

yea i'm pretty sure they've already run tests on the screen, just not when anyone's around.

honestly... it's there, it's on... i'm sure all the lights and bells and whistles have been tested... at night, when it's dark and when nobody's around to bother them with cameras and the such.

i think the bridges "can" move, but i don't think they're meant to move durring the show. if you saw one of the pics when one of the bridges was "moving" it seemed like it was being pushed by some sort of lift.

also i see little blue things on the sides of the outter ellipse... rotating cameras, perhaps currently covered by a tarp of some sort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom