Tennessee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The numbers aren't there to justify such a show :shrug:

If you haven't noticed it's a pretty limited tour compared to other U2 stadium tours.

It's all about the economy...

Given U2 have only played in Tennessee on four tours in their entire career (the only one post-1980s being Popmart), it's not exactly a surprise they aren't going there this tour.

Regarding Nashville in particular, they have only played there once, on the October Tour.

It would be more surprising if they did go there.

While it's true Tennessee hasn't historically been a strong market for U2, neither has Charlottesville or Oklahoma, and they both had 50,000+. I definitely think U2 could have had a decent showing in Tennessee. I think this tour has proved that U2 is pretty much invincible when it comes to selling tickets.

I think U2 missed opportunities for $ by not playing in Tennessee, Ohio, Buffalo/Pittsburgh, Missouri and Winnipeg. They also could have done another show in New England in 2010, another Boston or Hartford. I know they're afraid of not selling out, but I definitely think they could have gotten 40,000 or more in all these areas, which is nothing to sneeze at. Isn't the point to extract as much money as possible from the people?

would they even be able to play nashville given the time frame of this na leg? a lot of nashville is still under water, and though i think lp field's okay, the city itself may not be willing to green light such a huge concert when there's hotels needing lots of rebuilding. that's assuming u2's even wanting to play there, though.

While it's true Tennessee hasn't historically been a strong market for U2, neither has Charlottesville or Oklahoma, and they both had 50,000+. I definitely think U2 could have had a decent showing in Tennessee. I think this tour has proved that U2 is pretty much invincible when it comes to selling tickets.

I think U2 missed opportunities for $ by not playing in Tennessee, Ohio, Buffalo/Pittsburgh, Missouri and Winnipeg. They also could have done another show in New England in 2010, another Boston or Hartford. I know they're afraid of not selling out, but I definitely think they could have gotten 40,000 or more in all these areas, which is nothing to sneeze at. Isn't the point to extract as much money as possible from the people?

Good points here!

Also, what BVS said about the economy limiting the number if not the geographic location of tour stops.

Combine that with your pointing out that U2's psychology just does not lend itself to 70-85% full as opposed to 90 or sold out, largely because of the Popmart experience, and there is your answer for why no Tennessee.

Axver noted that U2 hasn't played Nashville since October and only TN once since the 1980s. That brings up a larger point. If you look at U2's touring history, dates in the interior/deep South have been scarce to say the least. I think JT was the last time they did Tennessee, Louisiana and Georgia on the same tour.

When they go South, they tend to stick to the coasts, when they go interior, they tend to stick to the mid west with a heavy focus on Chicago and Detroit.

As for Boston/New England, they most certainly could have done another show and sold it out legitimately. Things were a lot worse in Fall 2009 then they are now or will be in summer 2010 economically. The only reason they are not coming back to Gillette Stadium for 1 is the stupid surveys that some fans(not me) apparently received and filled out after the shows. They asked "will you see U2 here if they come back in 2010?" Most said no, and most cited the goddman traffic. So naturally, McGuiness got scared and said "no."

Its Boston, and its U2, in the unlikely case they don't sell out, they'll come very close and will be able to drastically reduce or comp. the 5/10% left to fill the place.

Oh well, I haven't been to Philly since 1999 and I've never seen U2 in Montreal which I have heard is an experience, so I am not complaining too much about my shows this year.

My personal satisfaction does not, however, change the fact that they could have done very well with a Boston 3.

If you look at U2's touring history, dates in the interior/deep South have been scarce to say the least. I think JT was the last time they did Tennessee, Louisiana and Georgia on the same tour.

Just to nitpick, they did do all three of those states on Popmart - but on different legs (Tennessee on the first leg in May 1997, Louisiana and Georgia on the third in November 1997). You're quite right that the last time they were done on the same tour leg was the third leg of JT.

I do think U2 missed something of an opportunity to play Memphis or Nashville on Elevation and Vertigo. They probably could've sold out an arena gig.

Just to nitpick, they did do all three of those states on Popmart - but on different legs (Tennessee on the first leg in May 1997, Louisiana and Georgia on the third in November 1997). You're quite right that the last time they were done on the same tour leg was the third leg of JT.

I do think U2 missed something of an opportunity to play Memphis or Nashville on Elevation and Vertigo. They probably could've sold out an arena gig.

That's why we have you here, Ax!

Getting U2 gigs ready for Leg 3?

You've got a great site over there!

That's why we have you here, Ax!

Getting U2 gigs ready for Leg 3?

You've got a great site over there!

Thanks. Leg 3 could be interesting for me actually, as I'll be away from home for most of the third leg (somewhat of a research trip, somewhat of a holiday). It's one thing to cover the tour from the other side of the world when I'm at home, but while I'm on the road? I can do it, but I'm quietly relieved the tour schedule is more spaced-out than most previous tours!

At least for the European leg, Matthias will be at heaps of the shows and that takes a lot of the pressure off me.

What about Georgia?

They played in Atlanta this last October, but no dates in 2010 and there's a lot of demand in Atlanta for U2.

Atlanta seems to be one of U2's better Southern markets, but I'm honestly not surprised it's being missed this year. There are only three examples of U2 visiting Atlanta on multiple legs of the same tour - October (club headliner, then arena support act), ZooTV (arena, then stadium), and Elevation (arena both times). The gig last year was in fact only their third stadium gig ever in Georgia.

ATL is awesome, i lived there for about a year. Traffic sucks though...

As for Tenessee, i would go to Tenn to see u2. thats not a bad drive at all.

Southeast Represent! I know lots of serious U2 fans in Tennessee who have never seen U2 live because of what's mentioned here.

Last time I checked, Soldier Field still had not sold out for July, & a repeat like that could have been swapped for something down this way. Tennessee might have gone like Minneapolis & sold out quickly had they chosen to come this way.

Given Glastonbury, I had my eyes on a Bonnaroo headlining spot, but my dreams were not realized.

Even still, I am so, so glad to travel over the summer when I am off work for the academic year. I am looking forward to catching & covering this tour.

I really dont understand why they arent playing Pittsburgh. We have a big stadium that is only 8 years old. And even if they are worried about selling out a 65000 seat stadium here, there is PNC park and that is only 35000 seats.

I really dont understand why they arent playing Pittsburgh. We have a big stadium that is only 8 years old. And even if they are worried about selling out a 65000 seat stadium here, there is PNC park and that is only 35000 seats.

Right there is the problem. U2 probalby couldn't sell out a 65,000 seats stadium. And honestly, I think they think they are above playing to 35,000 at this point. They could probably bring in 45,000+ to Pittsburgh... aka not a sellout, which is all they are interested in.

Wasn't Vegas close to 35,000 seats? Plus those on the floor counted above 35,000.

The only feasible venue for this tour in Tennessee is LP Field in Nashville, where the Titans play. The Liberty Bowl in Memphis should be razed, and it was one of the more poorly attended shows on the PopMart tour, I believe. And Neyland in Knoxville seats over 100,000 - a business fiasco waiting to happen. Nashville is too centrally located wrt much of the southeast to be overlooked forever, and I'm amazed U2 management haven't picked up on that.

Tennessee would have been an easier fit on the Vertigo and Elevation tours (Memphis's FedEx Forum was brand new in 2004 and itching to be broken in), but with shows scheduled in St. Louis, Atlanta (multiple shows), numerous shows in Texas, even Lexington, KY... Tennessee's just in that geographical (and demographic!) fly over country. U2's fan base is just a little too diluted in the south to schedule multiple arena shows here, not even considering stadiums.

I guess I'm more surprised that New Orleans wasn't considered, given the Edge's involvement and obvious attachments to the area... THAT would be a show to travel for. :hyper:

Memphis's FedEx Forum was brand new in 2004 and itching to be broken in
yeah. when the initial vertigo tour dates were announced, it actually made the front page of the newspaper in memphis that they weren't playing there. it's a really nice venue, actually.

lp field for 360 would be brilliant. i saw a titans game there this past december and was thinking what a great view of the claw i would've had from my seat. :lol:

So, any revised thoughts on this, since it turns out Nashville was one of the few and quickest to sell out this leg?

So, any revised thoughts on this, since it turns out Nashville was one of the few and quickest to sell out this leg?
they're playing a vastly smaller stadium than anyone expected?
it's easy to come back later and use hindsight against people?
most people in the thread thought it would be cool for them to do?

it's great news, but geez.

Back
Top Bottom