SPOILERS - Rehearsals at Nou Camp Part TRES - SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny you say that, because I always thought the inexplicable swath of 80stastic synth after Trip was for the expressed purpose of a proper OTH segue. I think WOWY--->Bullet is the weak link in the sequencing.

As you'd well know from DI, basing a segue on the last couple of seconds of a track doesn't necessarily make two songs sound good together.

I am stoked to see anything from Pop. I never would have expected IGWSHA! Very cool.

Also, Ultra Violet and TUF... :drool:

Trip is rubbish and sounds awful before OTH, so no, JT isn't perfect. No U2 tracklistings are. And seriously, try RHMT --> OTH. I didn't expect it to work as well as it did.

I disagree, but I'm not even going to attempt to debate this cause you'll win anyway...

Who was the lady who suggested the track listing? Didn't she just put it in order of songs she liked the best? If that's true...then why the hell is MOTD at the bottom?

I disagree, but I'm not even going to attempt to debate this cause you'll win anyway...

Who was the lady who suggested the track listing? Didn't she just put it in order of songs she liked the best? If that's true...then why the hell is MOTD at the bottom?

It was Steve Lillywhite's wife.

They told her Streets had to be first and MOTD had to be last, and that she could make the rest. She ranked tracks 2-10 based on how much she liked them.

That's what it says in U2ByU2, although she wasn't ranking Streets and MOTD. The band knew they wanted Streets first and MOTD last; she just ranked the last and they used her rankings as a track-order.

The biggest question is: why the hell is Still Haven't Found at the top?

As you'd well know from DI, basing a segue on the last couple of seconds of a track doesn't necessarily make two songs sound good together.

It's good enough for me. I like also like the "there's a raincloud in the desert sky" ending of Trip being so neatly followed through with Bono's "RAAINNNING!!! RAINNNING!!!! RAAAAAAAAAAINING RAAAAAAAAAINING!!!!" in OTH. Guess I'm just a sucker for recurring lyrical themes in my transitions. :wink: Anyway, I kept the segue for my personal restructuring of the album:

1. Streets
2. ISHFWILF
3. WOWY
4. RHMT
5. In God's Country
6. Trip
7. OTH
8. Exit
9. Bullet
10. RTSS
11. MOTD

I'll make a version with b-sides someday, but I don't have them on this laptop. This version emphasizes the intensity of Exit and Bullet, whereas on the original album, they seem a bit out of place to me.

It's good enough for me. I like also like the "there's a raincloud in the desert sky" ending of Trip being so neatly followed through with Bono's "RAAINNNING!!! RAINNNING!!!! RAAAAAAAAAAINING RAAAAAAAAAINING!!!!" in OTH. :wink: Anyway, I kept the segue for my personal restructuring of the album:

1. Streets
2. ISHFWILF
3. WOWY
4. RHMT
5. In God's Country
6. Trip
7. OTH
8. Exit
9. Bullet
10. RTSS
11. MOTD

I'll make a version with b-sides someday, but I don't have them on this laptop. This version emphasizes the intensity of Exit and Bullet, whereas on the original album, they seem a bit out of place to me.

You messed with the Suite of Death, Axver's favorite piece of U2 tracklisting. Watch out for the horns, son.

Dear U2:

Many on Interference are discussing the merits of various combinations of Pop songs. I have but four words:

DO

YOU

FEEL

LOVED

Thank you.

YA BABY!!!!:wink:

Best intro ever.....

The first 3 songs off POP with POP Muzik kicking it off (Pop Muzik/Disco/Do You Feel Loved/MoFo) are absolutely FUCKIN' AMAZING!!!!

You messed with the Suite of Death, Axver's favorite piece of U2 tracklisting. Watch out for the horns, son.

My alternate TUF would be even more blasphemous. I'd sub out at least 2-3 album tracks for b-sides from the era. That album's first half is perfection, but I still can't wrap my mind around the rest. It just sounds like texture over tunes to me, no matter how often I listen to it.

It was Steve Lillywhite's wife.

They told her Streets had to be first and MOTD had to be last, and that she could make the rest. She ranked tracks 2-10 based on how much she liked them.

OIC thanks, you guys really know ur stuff. I think she did a pretty damn good job...it flows effortlessly in my opinon.

I assume u r no fan of Still Haven't Found...why is this?

I like Still Haven't Found, but I like most of TJT more. As mind-boggling as Still Haven't Found being at the top is for me, OTH being second-to-last is worse... OTH, a beautiful, gorgeous gem of a song is a far better song than Still Haven't Found, a warhorse that has showed it doesn't deserve to be one, in my books.

I think you mostly find older fans (not as in a ge, as in time spent following the band) that want to see SHF.

That says to me that it hasn't stood the test of time as well as WOWY, Streets, Bullet etc.

I think you mostly find older fans (not as in a ge, as in time spent following the band) that want to see SHF.

That says to me that it hasn't stood the test of time as well as WOWY, Streets, Bullet etc.

Oh, I'll take Still Haven't Found in a second over Bullet. But that's just me. :wink:

I need to stop postwhoring in this thread for the night.

I adore ISHFWILF. It's a perfect melding of gospel and pop, one of those tracks that's so simple and effective...man, I wish I'd written it. And the guitar in the outro is one of the most bewitching things Edge ever played; it's just a really natural, sweet progression of the melody. I love his work near the end of MOS for similar reasons.

If I had to reorder JT, which I don't really feel the need to, the segue that begs for attention imo is One Tree Hill into Red Hill Mining Town. I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't do that. Also, I think Running To Stand Still into In God's Country is pretty damn cool also.

Other than that, I've never really felt one way or the other about the ordering of the songs on U2 albums, to be honest.

Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby are the two worst tracklistings, those two albums could really be so much better. RAH is kind of a mess in many ways, though.

In answer to several replies to my previous posting:

>> I don't get the point you say you are uberfan, you have been waiting for long, never saw the band live but don't want to see Streets on the set? you are definitely not what i'd say "standard U2 fan"

I never said anything about being any sort of "uberfan" (whatever that is supposed to be) and I never would make a claim that pretentious about myself. There is nothing more irritating than people who claim to be "more" of a fan than others. I am simply a longtime fan of the band and their music (at least most of it). One can be that without having seen them in concert, believe it or not. :hmm:

>> But, hey, this is a free world (at least in parts of it): If you don't like, simply just don't go.

I never said anything about "not going", especially since I already have my ticket. I simply said Id like to see a few songs played that Ive always wanted to see in person, like NYD, SBS, Bullet, and The Fly. Responding to a first time concert goer giving an honest opinion about what they hope to experience with "so just dont go" is tacky and dumb. :angry:

>> Let me get this straight... See it live first. jesus.

Sure thing, I guess watching every VHS and DVD concert theyve released over the last two decades + Rattle and Hum + U23D didnt count (yes yes, I know, the music magically sounds completely different in person than it does thru a stereo) so Ill just learn my proper place now and refrain from daring to speak about the matter further. "jesus" indeed. Again, this is the kind of clueless and arrogant response that makes me seriously doubt Ill be participating in any further discussions here. :wave:

But dont worry, Ill still be at the Vegas show either way. For those quoted above who have expressed their "concern" about my enjoyment of it, dont worry, Im sure I will manage no matter what the set list. Thanks for the encouraging words, folks. :wink:

I adore ISHFWILF. It's a perfect melding of gospel and pop, one of those tracks that's so simple and effective...man, I wish I'd written it. And the guitar in the outro is one of the most bewitching things Edge ever played; it's just a really natural, sweet progression of the melody. I love his work near the end of MOS for similar reasons.

I agree...I would love it if they played ISHFWILF and then went into Stand By Me like in the Zoo TV days...I'm dying to hear what MOS sounds like live- I think it would be a killer final song...

In answer to several replies to my previous posting:

(etc)

It seems upon reading more of your opinions that you aren't too much different than alot of us here: you don't like elitists, you have obsessively watched U2 live material over and over, and you dislike smartasses. Fair enough. I know I was a hardcore fan of U2 for 20 years before I was able to see my first U2 show and if someone had suggested to me to 'not go then' if I voiced a concern before a show I'd never seen in person yet, I'd be a bit pissed too. So I can empathize, and no, you are no less a U2 fan than anyone else here. I'd argue, maybe even more, having stayed this faithful for so long without the drug that is the live experience to keep you hooked.

Having said that, however, a suggestion or two, assuming you stick around a bit and get to know people: lose the bold type font. There's some sort of psychological barrier and people rightly or wrongly might think it's a bit much or that maybe you think too much of your own opinion. Also...and don't take this the wrong way...honestly....there is no comparing Streets from a video to Streets live. I can say that Streets from the R&H VHS wasn't as good as Streets from Vertigo, but that would ONLY be because I wasn't at a JT era show to see it for myself. The impact of it live and in living color makes me believe that the Vertigo version was better (for me). But it likely isn't, I just don't have that experience from the JT live show to weigh it against. So I'm sortof rambling here but what I'm trying to say is: Pray to god they don't drop Streets. You really really want to see that live for yourself :yes:

:wink:

Pride was played at all Popmart concerts. Bono reportedly didn't want to do it, but the rest of the band talked him into it. Bono was right ... those Popmart versions were awful and lifeless.

Pride was ultimately dropped on Elevation ... for a bit. It missed ten gigs out of fifty on the first leg (including the first eight), and was then rotational with The Fly on the second leg; it appeared 17 times out of 33 shows. Since then? Every gig, as per usual.

Cool, thanks for the info! :up:

I can't believe I somehow managed to forget PopMart's version of Pride! :doh:

I guess I was remembering that Bono had trouble with it back then and somehow got the rest mixed up. :wink:

As always... bang up job! :applaud:

My alternate TUF would be even more blasphemous. I'd sub out at least 2-3 album tracks for b-sides from the era. That album's first half is perfection, but I still can't wrap my mind around the rest. It just sounds like texture over tunes to me, no matter how often I listen to it.

I keep all but one of the album tracks myself, but I believe I got the Boomerang II --> Wire segue off you. This is my alternate UF that I use at present:

1. A Sort Of Homecoming
2. The Three Sunrises
3. Boomerang II
4. Wire
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Promenade
7. Bass Trap
8. Bad
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Elvis Presley And America
12. MLK
13. Pride

I rather enjoy it. Pride's actually a good closer. It's either that or Bad for me, and all my options for Bad seemed to result in a second half that was too consistently slow and had a bit of a meandering, directionless feel.

Is there anyone who doesn't like HMTMKMKM?

I like it, it's not bad, but it's the most overrated U2 song ever maybe.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, also, hasn't aged with grace. I think Joshua Tree in general has been overplayed a bit, I would like to see One Tree Hill played in Europe, but otherwise that's it.
My biggest wish is Gloria, Zooropa (anything is possible now that they're playing Drowning Man), and A Sort of Homecoming.
Two of my biggest wishes were Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet, so I'm gonna be happy anyway.

While I am absolutely delighted to see The Unforgettable Fire and Ultra Violet making a comeback, so far I am not feeling the rest of this rehearsal setlist. I Still Haven`t Found, Elevation, Vertigo, Pride and In a Little While kinda leave a bad taste in my mouth. The main problem is that it lacks some really hard rocking songs like The Fly or The Electric Co. on the last tour (those who are saying Elevation and Vertigo belong in this circle - thanks but no thanks). A little love for tracks like Mofo, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Exit, Dirty Day or dare I say - ACROBAT!!! - would not hurt at all.

If not, more realistic choices like The Fly, Until the End of the World or Gone would fit just fine.

I am not feeling...I Still Haven't Found, Elevation, Vertigo aswell...!!!

I can live hearing The Fly, Until the End of The World, Gone...God Part II or ACROBAT instead...!!!

I figured I'd take a stroll down memory lane as well... :wink:

Here's an old HTDAAB sequence I did back on November 28th, 2004:

01. Love And Peace Or Else
02. Vertigo
03. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
04. A Man And A Woman
05. All Because Of You
06. Original Of The Species
07. Miracle Drug
08. Crumbs From Your Table
09. City Of Blinding Lights
10. Yahweh
11. One Step Closer

I also expanded a bit and added a few non-HTDAAB tracks* (I was going for a sort of narrative and wanted to include the new B-sides):

01. Love And Peace Or Else
02. Vertigo
03. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
04. A Man And A Woman
05. All Because Of You
06. Original Of The Species
07. Miracle Drug
08. Crumbs From Your Table
09. New York (Nice Mix)*
10. City Of Blinding Lights
11. Neon Lights*
12. Are You Gonna Wait For Ever?*
13. Yahweh
14. One Step Closer

As I recall, I was somewhat fond of SYCMIOYO > AMAAW > ABOY > OOTS, although it's been so long I'd almost have to re-listen to it. :lol:

Have we gone from setlist discussion to discussing the order of songs on the album or what? :scratch:

Seriously, I think it's annoying that, whatever setlist U2 are having, people are always complaining. U2 cannot please everyone and they are not there to take wishes and orders from individual fans. They'll do what they think is best and what they feel comfortable with. I'm happy they're playing so many songs from the new album and glad to see some UF stuff there. Not keen on the Pop stuff, even though it seems to be the Holy Grail here. I don't want U2 to go through some bumpy versions of songs from an album they don't feel comfortable with. The one thing I'm missing is SUC. Still disappointed they aren't playing this one, I'd really like to hear the reasons why because I thought it would be the perfect stadium rocker. On the other hand, I'm very pleased with the encore as it is now. And in regards to the Sometimes-MS-Kite discussion ... I wouldn't mind seing one of these songs played at a certain point in the set, alternatively, that would be a beautiful moment. They just have to bring Kite back in the Vertigo 2006 version :love:

can someone please bann these thread-derailers?!?!?!

This is about setlists of the new tour!!!!

:hmm:

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom