SPOILERS - Rehearsals at Nou Camp Part TRES - SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, hey, LemonMelon! Haven't seen you for a while. And is that a Shins avatar? Niiiiiice.
Back on topic, I fully support the idea of a Stand Up Comedy > HMTMKMKM segue.

Nice to see you, been a while since the leak threads, and I never go over to this section because I won't be able to afford tix to any of the fall US gigs. :banghead:

As far as the SUC--->HMTMKMKM segue is concerned, I see it being part of an encore opening string of songs, an encore which would run something like this:

Fez/GOYB
Stand Up Comedy
HMTMKMKM
UTEOTW
One
MOS
Bad/40

That's just how I envision it, but man, that would kick all kinds of ass IMO.

okay I'm late to the party but... WUT SOMETHING FROM POP

IF GOD

WAAAAAAT

that just made my day.

Yeah, they rehearsed IGWSHA earlier today. Oh, and dan_smee is working on a fan-made "ultimate version" of Pop. Replacing some album versions with single versions, changing the track order, stuff like that.

Yeah, they rehearsed IGWSHA earlier today. Oh, and dan_smee is working on a fan-made "ultimate version" of Pop. Replacing some album versions with single versions, changing the track order, stuff like that.

yeah

im not saying it is the gospel or anything, people can feel free to make their own, just thought they'd be interested to hear my take on things (the list is posted about 4 posts up)

I also skipped Holy Joe, because I don't think it fits the rest of the album

well he used the Hedges version of Gone which is terrible soooo... :wink:

also, Pop Muzik? fun song, not good enough to be on the album.

and I don't see a reason to change the order of Pop, I think it flows perfectly.

sorry dan_smee, not a fan of changing Pop. :p its my favourite album ever. which is why im extremely excited that U2 remembered they recorded it. I'd rather hear just about any other song from Pop, but it's really cool that they're bringing out a song they barely played. Maybe they'll pull out DYFL too...:wink:

1. Pop Music (Bono vocal) (i have mixed them together to form a good segue into...)
2. MoFo
3. Gone (Hedges mix)
4. Please (Single Version)
5. Staring at the Sun
6. Do you Feel Loved?
7. Miami
8. The Playboy Mansion
9. Discotheque
10. If God Will Send His Angels (single version)
11. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
12. Last Night On Earth (single version)
13. Wake Up Dead Man

Notes:
I chose the Popmart intro as it is the perfect way to introduce the songs (I am aware that track 1 is a cover)
I moved away from single 1 being song 1
MoFo has to follow Popmusic
Gone is the new mix as it is vastly superior, and flows on nicely from mofo
Please is the single version as it offers a greater variety on the disc (strings, but song fits perfectly in this spot)
SATS original mix as it is the best. Brings the album back after the darkness of Please
DYFL? slots in well at the end of SATS
Miami is a good mid-album interlude type song
TPM follows Miami well
Discotheque (album version) fading in after TPM sounds phenominal
IGWSHA sounds great after Discotheque
Velvet Dress flows on nicely after IGWSHA
LNOE fills the 'breathe' spot, heavier rocker to be the penultimate track
WUDM perfect closer.

This sounds really great. I'm going to try it out :up:

(By the way, not to nitpick but there is no question mark in DYFL. Bono's even quoted specifically about that I think.)

Totally agree! :up:

And since you brought it up, wasn't Pride dropped mainly because Bono couldn't sing it anymore? Or was there more to it than that?

Pride was played at all Popmart concerts. Bono reportedly didn't want to do it, but the rest of the band talked him into it. Bono was right ... those Popmart versions were awful and lifeless.

Pride was ultimately dropped on Elevation ... for a bit. It missed ten gigs out of fifty on the first leg (including the first eight), and was then rotational with The Fly on the second leg; it appeared 17 times out of 33 shows. Since then? Every gig, as per usual.

This sounds really great. I'm going to try it out :up:

(By the way, not to nitpick but there is no question mark in DYFL. Bono's even quoted specifically about that I think.)

How can it not though? even if Bobo says it shouldnt have one, it IS a question, it can't not have one and be gramatically correct. I don't think artistic license should apply there either

How can it not though? even if Bobo says it shouldnt have one, it IS a question, it can't not have one and be gramatically correct. I don't think artistic license should apply there either

Get Your Boots On!

1. Pop Music (Bono vocal) (i have mixed them together to form a good segue into...)
2. MoFo
3. Gone (Hedges mix)
4. Please (Single Version)
5. Staring at the Sun
6. Do you Feel Loved?
7. Miami
8. The Playboy Mansion
9. Discotheque
10. If God Will Send His Angels (single version)
11. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
12. Last Night On Earth (single version)
13. Wake Up Dead Man

Notes:
I chose the Popmart intro as it is the perfect way to introduce the songs (I am aware that track 1 is a cover)
I moved away from single 1 being song 1
MoFo has to follow Popmusic
Gone is the new mix as it is vastly superior, and flows on nicely from mofo
Please is the single version as it offers a greater variety on the disc (strings, but song fits perfectly in this spot)
SATS original mix as it is the best. Brings the album back after the darkness of Please
DYFL? slots in well at the end of SATS
Miami is a good mid-album interlude type song
TPM follows Miami well
Discotheque (album version) fading in after TPM sounds phenominal
IGWSHA sounds great after Discotheque
Velvet Dress flows on nicely after IGWSHA
LNOE fills the 'breathe' spot, heavier rocker to be the penultimate track
WUDM perfect closer.

Ehhh...I absolutely adore the sequencing from Miami on. I wouldn't touch that in a million years. The only thing I could in good conscience restructure is tracks 4-7, which would be rearranged as follows:

4. Gone
5. Staring At The Sun
6. IGWSHA
7. Last Night On Earth

But, personally, I wouldn't change a thing about the track listing. I think the sequencing on the album is masterful, arguably their best.

But, personally, I wouldn't change a thing about the track listing. I think the sequencing on the album is masterful, arguably their best.

Mofo --> IGWSHA is "masterful"?

More like one of the worst pairings in U2 history.

Well why add something that is not on the albums, cd's, lyrics, etc etc... especially when its writer says there isn't one?

No big deal though... I guess it's just a thing I have about adding something that isn't there.

Mofo --> IGWSHA is "masterful"?

More like one of the worst pairings in U2 history.

Yes, it's technically awful. I would never use it as a segue on a DI list (assuming we were allowed to use more than one song per artist, as in DI1 :wink: ). But what else could follow Mofo? Just shut the fucking album down, start from the bottom, and work your way up from there. IGWSHA is a very humble, broken, unassuming sentiment following the whirlwind, the sonic overload that is Mofo. If you look at it that way, it works perfectly.

Personally, I think So Cruel--->The Fly is a horrible pairing, and serves no thematic purpose. That might be their worst pairing ever. Perhaps it makes more sense on vinyl.

Yes, it's technically awful. I would never use it as a segue on a DI list (assuming we were allowed to use more than one song per artist, as in DI1 :wink: ). But what else could follow Mofo? Just shut the fucking album down, start from the bottom, and work your way up from there. IGWSHA is a very humble, broken, unassuming sentiment following the whirlwind, the sonic overload that is Mofo. If you look at it that way, it works perfectly.

... I pretty much disagree with all of this.

I have DYFL after Mofo on my custom Pop and I think it sounds pretty good. I reckon Gone could work too.

Get Your Boots On!

Yes, but common usage can make hyperbole acceptable. That is how language evolves, and has evolved over time. Get on your boots is common phrasing, and therefore has a definate and definable meaning: ergo it is acceptable, even though it is hyperbole.

Ehhh...I absolutely adore the sequencing from Miami on. I wouldn't touch that in a million years. The only thing I could in good conscience restructure is tracks 4-7, which would be rearranged as follows:

4. Gone
5. Staring At The Sun
6. IGWSHA
7. Last Night On Earth

It may be close to their best, but every one of their albums can be improved through better track placement. If I had one gripe about U2 and all of their albums (I love the songs and albums btw) is that they consistantly have 'ok to good' track listings. Now matter how good they are, they can always be imporved

Yup, I fully agree with this... I've pretty much always felt this way.

Pop is general is just pure :drool:.

It may be close to their best, but every one of their albums can be improved through better track placement. If I had one gripe about U2 and all of their albums (I love the songs and albums btw) is that they consistantly have 'ok to good' track listings. Now matter how good they are, they can always be imporved

Yep. I don't even dislike Achtung once I tinker with its tracklist! HTDAAB also improves a fair deal.

That's true, I agree. TUF, JT, Pop, and NLOTH stand out as their strongest efforts, but sometimes the segueing is just inexcusable. October, R&H, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB are disasters.

Just for kicks, here's the bizarre Zooropa/Passengers hybrid I made last summer:

1. Zooropa
2. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
3. United Colours
4. Always Forever Now
5. Some Days Are Better Than Others
6. A Different Kind Of Blue
7. Beach Sequence
8. Miss Sarajevo
9. Dirty Day
10. Lemon
11. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
12. Your Blue Room
13. The First Time

It looks haphazard on first glance, but it sounds great when examined closely. Miss Sarajevo--->Dirty Day :drool:

Wow. That discotheque from Las Vegas is atrocious. I forgot how god-awful bad they were at the start of popmart.

Popmart Las Vegas definitely was not a shining moment. The thought of that show always makes me cringe and feel badly for the poor audience.

whenever i listened to that bootleg, i would never make it all the way through. that show really is an embarrassment.

I thought they sounded better during the sound check Lack of rehearsal is never a good thing.

It looks haphazard on first glance, but it sounds great when examined closely. Miss Sarajevo--->Dirty Day :drool:

I remember listening to that and being surprised at just how well some of the atypical segues worked.

Personally, I think JT has a fantastic tracklist. My custom JT is little changed - but I think it adds a lot and I now only listen to the album this way.

1. Streets
2. ISHFWILF
3. WOWY
4. Luminous Times
5. Spanish Eyes
6. In God's Country
7. Bullet The Blue Sky
8. Running To Stand Still
9. Red Hill Mining Town
10. One Tree Hill
11. Exit
12. Mothers Of The Disappeared

Once you get IGC and Trip out of the way, as I have done, the run from Bullet to the end is simply magic. I love RHMT --> OTH.

Trip is rubbish and sounds awful before OTH, so no, JT isn't perfect. No U2 tracklistings are. And seriously, try RHMT --> OTH. I didn't expect it to work as well as it did.

Trip is rubbish and sounds awful before OTH, so no, JT isn't perfect. No U2 tracklistings are. And seriously, try RHMT --> OTH. I didn't expect it to work as well as it did.

It's funny you say that, because I always thought the inexplicable swath of 80stastic synth after Trip was for the expressed purpose of a proper OTH segue. I think WOWY--->Bullet is the weak link in the sequencing.

people complaining about playing old standards to death in rehearsals should remember:

A: U2 needs to figure out the mix in the new speaker arrangement they are in
B: Due to A, they may need to adjust the harmonies, add or lessen delays / sustains to already well known songs
C: Totally change up the guitar effects on tracks other than NLOTH, recall Edge's new supersonic fuzz gun effects
D: Get the shit in queue with the video, and vice versa, find the right times for new hooks in songs to be highlighted by video and light effects

To me, I'd rather them hit the road in stride and a setlist as tight as a nun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom