SPOILERS - Rehearsals at Camp Nou, Part IV - SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny, I think there's a disconnect between what we perceive this new staging to provide (a kick-ass visual assault against everyone in a massive stadium during The Fly, MW, UTEOTW, etc.) vs. what the band may have envisioned the Claw to provide: a more intimate, atmospheric staging for them to connect better with the crowd.

Why can't it be both? :wink:

That's true, but as I've never seen them live, I DO want to hear Streets and SBS. I could do without One, yes, but I know they're not gonna drop it.

I'm really glad they're playing a lot of songs from NLOTH, and got a couple of 'new' songs for us in terms of haven't been played in ages.

Ofcourse, that said, I can do without Stuck, IALW and AOH. Or *insert any acoustic song here*.

But yeah, not much you can do about it. :shrug:

I kind of like the setlist, but besides the 7 new songs (which is normal every tour), UV, TUF and DM, U2 is not really innovative.... same old best of list....
I like the segues actually, some will work great. Like Streets as the encore opener (hopefully with red stadium!)
Anyway, I'm never happy... :hmm:

Sorry but I just don't picture Breathe having enough power and drive to be the opener. That's my only complaint with this set list. The drum intro and when the guitar and piano kick in will be good but other than that it's a weak ass opener.

Have you heard and seen the 360 ° rendition of this song yet? Not? Then I'd advice you to reserve judgement until it's really played as opener in this particular setting.

And this goes for everyone complaining about the set right now, speculating what would work better. I know it's the natural instinct of many here on this forum to complain about everything and judge something before they even had a change to see and hear it.

I don't know what's not good about the setlist. It's a perfect mix of new songs and old songs and some rarities. It looks like a very balanced setlist. Some of the old warehorses were obviously thrown out, some were kept and may have been reworked, but everyone here thinking U2 will do a show of rarities without at least a handful of their greatest hits is obviously deluded, sorry. I totally understand what the band is trying to do here and it looks absolutely fine to me.

And please stop making up fake setlists based on childish "I want the setlist to look like this" arguments. It's all theory right now. I'm sure when the tour is actually starting, the set will be amazing. Leave it to U2 to make the best possible show. They've been touring long enough to have a good idea of what will work.

That's true, but as I've never seen them live, I DO want to hear Streets and SBS. I could do without One, yes, but I know they're not gonna drop it.

I'm really glad they're playing a lot of songs from NLOTH, and got a couple of 'new' songs for us in terms of haven't been played in ages.

Ofcourse, that said, I can do without Stuck, IALW and AOH. Or *insert any acoustic song here*.

But yeah, not much you can do about it. :shrug:

exactly. i enjoyed getting a chance to hear all of the classics live last time around just for the sake of hearing them as good as they were or not. except for one. now i don't really care if they don't play them. i guess this is an argument for their current way of playing, but whatever.

:giggle:

Have you heard and seen the 360 ° rendition of this song yet? Not? Then I'd advice you to reserve judgement until it's really played as opener in this particular setting.

And this goes for everyone complaining about the set right now, speculating what would work better. I know it's the natural instinct of many here on this forum to complain about everything and judge something before they even had a change to see and hear it.

I don't know what's not good about the setlist. It's a perfect mix of new songs and old songs and some rarities. It looks like a very balanced setlist. Some of the old warehorses were obviously thrown out, some were kept and may have been reworked, but everyone here thinking U2 will do a show of rarities without at least a handful of their greatest hits is obviously deluded, sorry. I totally understand what the band is trying to do here and it looks absolutely fine to me.

And please stop making up fake setlists based on childish "I want the setlist to look like this" arguments. It's all theory right now. I'm sure when the tour is actually starting, the set will be amazing. Leave it to U2 to make the best possible show. They've been touring long enough to have a good idea of what will work.

okay, this just screams REACT...

firsxt of all: Last week Bono and Adam interview with Spanish reporter:
Bono: we have no idea if this will actually work...

second: The "I want the setlist to look like this". What else do you want on a forum then? 12892828 post with just: the setlist looks great?

third: you contridact yourself: I don't know what's not good about the setlist. It's a perfect mix of new songs and old songs and some rarities. It looks like a very balanced setlist....and then a few lines later: It's all theory right now. I'm sure when the tour is actually starting, the set will be amazing.

Fact remains: They have a kickass tiger in their garden and they are feeding it old dogbiscuits. Case closed...

See you all next week

I agree with Breathe sounding odd as an opener. It has this tribal beat intro and the delivery of the verses aren't the type of driving song that tends to work in this spot. I likened it to beginning with Bullet.

Still think the title track is the best fit, though there's really nothing on the album that screams Stadium Show Opener.

third: you contridact yourself: I don't know what's not good about the setlist. It's a perfect mix of new songs and old songs and some rarities. It looks like a very balanced setlist....and then a few lines later: It's all theory right now. I'm sure when the tour is actually starting, the set will be amazing.

Fact remains: They have a kickass tiger in their garden and they are feeding it old dogbiscuits. Case closed...

I don't see a contradiction. My post was a reaction to people overreacting about a setlist they haven't heard yet. As long as you only read it on a board, it's just theoretical. I think we should reserve our judgements until we see it come to live. But people here are talking as if they have already seen the show and heard the set.

And no, it's not a FACT what you're writing. Case closed? Fine for me, I see it differently.

I agree with Breathe sounding odd as an opener. It has this tribal beat intro and the delivery of the verses aren't the type of driving song that tends to work in this spot. I likened it to beginning with Bullet.

Still think the title track is the best fit, though there's really nothing on the album that screams Stadium Show Opener.

yes, Fez has been made to open shows.... :shifty:

I don't see a contradiction. My post was a reaction to people overreacting about a setlist they haven't heard yet. As long as you only read it on a board, it's just theoretical. I think we should reserve our judgements until we see it come to live. But people here are talking as if they have already seen the show and heard the set.

And no, it's not a FACT what you're writing. Case closed? Fine for me, I see it differently.

Unicorn, you ARE actually one of the few people who writes almost everything as if it is fact. I am sorry but that is a FACT. :wink:

yes, Fez has been made to open shows.... :shifty:

That would be super cool, but the "Being Born" section with the vocal doesn't have enough of a hook to lure in your average concertgoer, and let's not forget there will be a lot of people there who aren't even familiar with the song.

My own personal wish? The pre-recorded "Fez" section segueing into the band playing the title track, with the "No!" "Line!" chants at the end.

:pray:

Unicorn, you ARE actually one of the few people who writes almost everything as if it is fact. I am sorry but that is a FACT. :wink:

This is doing my head in a little bit. This is a message board about the rehearsals and potential setlist of the new tour, of course we are going to speculate and discuss, that's the whole point. It's fun, it's interesting and thought provoking.

Unicorn, you seem like a cool person, an artistic person even, who can write and think and make interesting points, but recently every time i've seen a post of yours i've kind of hoped that it wouldn't be presented as fact and it wouldn't be condescending in tone - and yet it has been. Many of your posts, rather than encourage debate, IMO, actually look to close debate down with reaction that comes across as authoritative rather than open-ended/minded. Please don't take this as personal criticism, it really isn't, this message board would be a poorer place without you, but I wonder if you are aware of how your online persona can sometimes make others feel.

This is doing my head in a little bit. This is a message board about the rehearsals and potential setlist of the new tour, of course we are going to speculate and discuss, that's the whole point. It's fun, it's interesting and thought provoking.

Unicorn, you seem like a cool person, an artistic person even, who can write and think and make interesting points, but recently every time i've seen a post of yours i've kind of hoped that it wouldn't be presented as fact and it wouldn't be condescending in tone - and yet it has been. Many of your posts, rather than encourage debate, IMO, actually look to close debate down with reaction that comes across as authoritative rather than open-ended/minded. Please don't take this as personal criticism, it really isn't, this message board would be a poorer place without you, but I wonder if you are aware of how your online persona can sometimes make others feel.

Finally!!! :applaud:
and don't feel bad unicorn. In the childrensbook we are writing there is a unicorn at one moment and it sort of was based on you. and she is a GOOD character :wink:

You make good statements but you are not right all the time. Esp. when you are debating with someone that has infinite knowledge and love for U2 like myself. That is why I get worked up sometimes.

:up:

That would be super cool, but the "Being Born" section with the vocal doesn't have enough of a hook to lure in your average concertgoer, and let's not forget there will be a lot of people there who aren't even familiar with the song.

My own personal wish? The pre-recorded "Fez" section segueing into the band playing the title track, with the "No!" "Line!" chants at the end.

:pray:

I agree totally - that's how I'd like to see it too..

Name me one song that wasn't terrible that night.

That was the point. U2, without proper rehearsal time, can pretty much screw up any song- no matter how much it has been played.

The Walk On from Chicago on vertigo was a good example- they played it every show a tour before, and then they try to play it with little rehearsal time and it was abysmal.

If they aren't rehearsing something, they are not going to just pull it out. That said, maybe they are / have rehearsed more songs than we know.

Hi....I don't post much but I'm a long term fan and I'm going to the first Wembley show.....and can I just say that the proposed setlist is fantastic! :drool:

I would have loved to see Discotheque bought back as well, but apart from that...:hyper:

Finally!!! :applaud:
and don't feel bad unicorn. In the childrensbook we are writing there is a unicorn at one moment and it sort of was based on you. and she is a GOOD character :wink:

You make good statements but you are not right all the time. Esp. when you are debating with someone that has infinite knowledge and love for U2 like myself. That is why I get worked up sometimes.

:up:

I'm sorry but many of your posts upset me because you seem so full of yourself. Maybe you don't mean to, but sometimes your posts come across as if you are the only person here whose opinion is legitimate. It just really upsets me when you're writing stuff like: Oh, this is the wrong setlist, and then posting something that you believe is the RIGHT setlist. I'm under the impression that, whatever U2 do, it's never good enough for you. When you don't agree with it, you're making it sound as if they were stupid and should listen to you because you know better.

There are hundreds of people in this section of the forum, still I see no one besides you who does that. We all have favourites and songs we'd like to hear U2 play and I'm not always happy with every decision they make, still I don't see the point in trying to "suggest" a different setlist and act as if U2 don't know themselves and instead should listen to you.

Besides, I've always thought setlist discusion belonged in the setlist forum.

And yes, I'd love to hear Fez and I'd love to hear SUC and possibly some other songs, too, and there are songs in the current set I could live without, still I don't go around saying U2 is stupid for doing it this way and should do it otherwise. If they listened to every setlist wish from every fan, we'd never have a tour. I think they'd just call it quits.

I swore myself that I'm not going to let this discussion become personal again, but many of your comments are really irritating me and obviously aimed at me personally. I've seen you do this with others as well and it's their business, but I just think it's kind of annoying.

um, you need to repeat- "this is just this person' OPINION" before you read every single post on here.

its not complaining if you say, I wish they would switch song A for song B. its called having a personal preference, and who cares. if you don't agree, ignore it. i have seen hardly anyone saying- i really don't like this set. or this show will suck- or just complaining in general about the setlist. since there is very few who are just saying this would be a bad set (i have read that maybe twice), your lecturing on how we should discuss the setlist is far more "childish".

TO ME, IMO- the set would be infinitely better if the played Bad instead of SBS, and IGWSHA instead of Stuck. I don't need to hear the 360 version to know that. I don't like Stuck at all in any form. That is my opinion. Its not a complaint, its just what I would like to see- which if I'm not mistaken is a big part of what this discussion is about. If you'll notice, I didn't say-"this show is gonna suck because they play Stuck". that would be complaining.

I will be at as many shows as I can because I know U2 will put on the best show. (You may want to stop reading now) I will talk with people on here, and my friends I go to shows with about the aspects I think they could have improved on (oh, the horror- how childish of me), as well as the parts I loved.

If they aren't rehearsing something, they are not going to just pull it out. That said, maybe they are / have rehearsed more songs than we know.

im wondering about this to. they were rehearsing in dublin for a long time and they even recorded a full set that was apparaently faultless. so i kinda do think that they might have a few extra songs that we havent heard but have been rehearsed:wink:

I'm sorry but many of your posts upset me because you seem so full of yourself. Maybe you don't mean to, but sometimes your posts come across as if you are the only person here whose opinion is legitimate. It just really upsets me when you're writing stuff like: Oh, this is the wrong setlist, and then posting something that you believe is the RIGHT setlist. I'm under the impression that, whatever U2 do, it's never good enough for you. When you don't agree with it, you're making it sound as if they were stupid and should listen to you because you know better.

There are hundreds of people in this section of the forum, still I see no one besides you who does that. We all have favourites and songs we'd like to hear U2 play and I'm not always happy with every decision they make, still I don't see the point in trying to "suggest" a different setlist and act as if U2 don't know themselves and instead should listen to you.

I swore myself that I'm not going to let this discussion become personal again, but many of your comments are really irritating me and obviously aimed at me personally. I've seen you do this with others as well and it's their business, but I just think it's kind of annoying.

I am sorry Unicorn but you couldnt be more wrong than you are right now. You were the one starting with childish and insultive remarks towards me, not the other way around. Could that be the reason why I am a bit more harsch scometimes when it involves your constant defending an telling everybody what you think is good?
You accuse me of something you do in almost every single post. I am not full of myself. Confident? yes. I just feel that I am capable of thinking for myself and able to doubt their decisions as a passionate fan and a customer. You are defending them at any cost and for the 338474th time, they dont need your defending, plain and simple. They have an incredible stage, the guys look great, they have a good record to promote but looking at the rehearsels right now there seems to be something missing. Opening with Breath?? It just isnt a good song to open with and I am surprised that they have chosen this while there are more suited songs for this on the record. My opinion of course and I am not telling anyone what they should think. I dont believe the "lets wait for the 360 version". Since when is U2 a band that reinvents their songs with the acception of RTSS zootv style which was fantastic? Is that a problem? NO, They are an amazing band but there won't be 360 versions because to be honest, deep down we all know that breath will sound 99% the same as the breath of 2 months ago and will problably sound 99% the same in about 6 months.

That is my opinion and if it's no-one elses, so what? They are capable of more than Pride in the name of love for the 2932839238th time and I DO understand the obama connection and you know what: I LOVE Pride.
The setlist I made was just an example how easy it is to make a good setlist a kickass setlist without dropping the fanfavourites. You seem to forget that the people who come here love this band. You only critisize something if you care not because you dont give a damn.

im wondering about this to. they were rehearsing in dublin for a long time and they even recorded a full set that was apparaently faultless. so i kinda do think that they might have a few extra songs that we havent heard but have been rehearsed:wink:

i hope your right. i am hoping that is the case with electrical storm. you know the band knows the rehearsals are being reported all over fan sights. maybe they are trying to be a little secretive.

oh dear lord, :lol:, can we just focus on the awesomeness that U2 are? I love this setlist, specially TUF- COBL. Just wish they could play the fly and UTOTW (just because it is my first time :sad:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom