Song Arrangements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's the older tracks that need reinvention, I've always thought 360 would have been the perfect vehicle for breathing new life into WOWY, NYD and the like, and at this point BTBS can join that league. SBS has had a lot more energy on 360 than on Vertigo, but it could use a new arrangement as well.

I hope for the sake of Mag that this is a rearrangement, not a remix.

As an aside on the Ultraviolet debate, as you know, on the album, Edge layers a few guitar parts over each other. The main difference between the live Zoo TV version and the 360 version is which parts he chooses to play and when.

On Zoo TV, he developed a new riff for the bridge, but otherwise, everything else has been a guitar part from the album. On Zoo TV he sticks mostly to the prominent rhythm guitar for the entire song, whereas on 360 he switches (via pedal) to the background layer halfway through the song.

To me, both sound very cool and I love both versions. And to the OP's point, it mixes the sound up just enough to keep us entertained and surprised. It's not like playing Pride on the same guitar tone at the same speed over and over.

And for what it's worth, I think Zoo TV worked so fabulously for a lot of reasons, but perhaps none bigger than the fact that on the album, the guitar parts were intricate and woven into a complex sonic landscape, but live, Edge was able to pull forward a main guitar line in the mix and it carried amazing punch.

Not to mention the fact that the lyrics have changed, effectively 'finishing' the song 20 years later.

As an aside on the Ultraviolet debate, as you know, on the album, Edge layers a few guitar parts over each other. The main difference between the live Zoo TV version and the 360 version is which parts he chooses to play and when.

On Zoo TV, he developed a new riff for the bridge, but otherwise, everything else has been a guitar part from the album. On Zoo TV he sticks mostly to the prominent rhythm guitar for the entire song, whereas on 360 he switches (via pedal) to the background layer halfway through the song.

To me, both sound very cool and I love both versions. And to the OP's point, it mixes the sound up just enough to keep us entertained and surprised. It's not like playing Pride on the same guitar tone at the same speed over and over.

And for what it's worth, I think Zoo TV worked so fabulously for a lot of reasons, but perhaps none bigger than the fact that on the album, the guitar parts were intricate and woven into a complex sonic landscape, but live, Edge was able to pull forward a main guitar line in the mix and it carried amazing punch.

I agree 100% here :up:

Not to mention the fact that the lyrics have changed, effectively 'finishing' the song 20 years later.

Don't credit to "finishing" what you can simply credit to Bono's poor memory and inexplicable whims.

Just a pity that the new Zooropa nips verse two out;

Zooropa...better by design
Zooropa...fly the friendly skies
Through appliance of science
We've got that ring of confidence

I actually thought the band had broken down the way it sorta stops at the 2:12 mark then goes into the "no compass, dream out loud" part;

YouTube - U2 São Paulo 2011-04-13 Zooropa - U2gigs.com

the whole-ish song from SP the other night, sounds good..

Back
Top Bottom