SLC Presale/General Sale Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like everyone's just looking at this as a 'rehearsal'. I wonder if that's how the band will feel about it. Almost makes me want to go even more.

Smithstix kicks ticketbastards ass!

Ok, over 2 hours to sell out GA's, so obviously the demand wasn't there.

But for me the sale was so smooth. Smith's even lets you (really) choose where you want to sit. Just select the price, then the section you want to be in. If I was rich, Section E34, row 2 is still available. Edge's side, front view, down near the field, nice!

But give me GA any day!

Yeah plenty of GA, and it all went very smooth. There really must not be much demand for this show.

That said, I'm still stoked to see U2 once again at the same stadium where I first saw them on Pop Mart some 13 years ago!

im just glad to get to see another 360 show before its all over with. I dont care if its a fucking rehearsal, its u2 in a beautiful setting. I cant wait till June...

Now that the initial on sale is over, Smith's Tix has switched the ticket sale to a mode where you can see the exact seats that are still available, which is actually very cool. You can see, by section, just how many seats remain. It will be interesting to watch this as we inch closer to a sellout.

Michael

Slow day at work so I decided to count all the remaining seats section by section.

Still almost 9200 seats available. The stadium holds about 45-46K, so including GA probably 40,000 sold so far.

It will be interesting to see if it sells out or not by June 3rd. Have most of the other 360 stadiums sold out? Salt Lake was one of the few that did sell out on Pop Mart, but that may have been due to the fact that U2 hadn't been to SLC since the War tour in 1983 (the show right before Red Rocks)...and that the stadium only held about 30K in 1997.

Slow day at work so I decided to count all the remaining seats section by section.

Still almost 9200 seats available. The stadium holds about 45-46K, so including GA probably 40,000 sold so far.

Wow--it must be a slow day, indeed. We can expect you to do a daily count and prepare a line graph that shows daily sales and remaining seats, right? Assuming you have a few more slow days? :)

Michael

Wow--it must be a slow day, indeed. We can expect you to do a daily count and prepare a line graph that shows daily sales and remaining seats, right? Assuming you have a few more slow days? :)

Michael

Ha ha it was actually pretty easy. Most of the remaining seats are in big blocks and the seats and rows are all numbered, so I just had to do a few quick multiplications and count the few single seats. Took less than a half hr.

I'll maybe do it again in a month or so:)

There are 11,182 seat tickets left as of 7pm Utah time on the second day of sales. Capacity is 46,500 according to worldstadiums.com so with GA tickets being gone they have sold around 42,000 tickets or so if there were roughly 7,000 GA available. Not bad at all! I'm guessing there will be 7000-9000 GA.

Total Seat tickets sold so far is 35,318 in 33 hours for Salt Lake City. 76% of the seats are sold. Nice!

Now that the initial on sale is over, Smith's Tix has switched the ticket sale to a mode where you can see the exact seats that are still available, which is actually very cool. You can see, by section, just how many seats remain. It will be interesting to watch this as we inch closer to a sellout.

Michael

Yeah, I noticed this feature for the Elton John & Billy Joel concert. While I was doing a few practice runs, just to get a feel for the site, before the U2 general sale.

Thought it would have been nuts to have this feature for the opening day of the sale. But now that demand's dropped it's great they're using this feature. As I quite often go to concert's by myself, it means I can quite often bag a great single seat up close :D

I was checking around in the different price ranges during the presale, and it was very cool to be able to pick a specific section. There were some awesome seats in every prices level, lots of Row 1 stuff right above the field in the $95 pricing right next to the $250 seats.

Now, can someone tell me why a freaking ma and pa sized(relatively) ticketing company can offer this functionality to it's customers, but the massively steaming pile of dung that is Ticketmaster can't? :hmm:

Michael

Can someone tell me how to see this? The only map I can see is one that just shows the sections. I'd love to check it out. Thanks.

when you are at the part that just shows the section and lay out of the stadium you need to choose a ticket then continue to the next screen, then you will be able to see all the available seats in that section.

For SLC by Day 2 there was 9,618 seats left, Day 3 there are 9,181 seats left. So far they've sold roughly 37,319 seats not counting GA or the field tickets. Counting GA/Field tickets at least 43,000-45,000 tickets sold. Nice.

Where do you get these numbers robbrecon? Are you counting seats like I did?

No you don't need to count every seat. Here is how I did it and it only took like 30 mins. I went to the screen where you choose the section and price and it has the stadium layout on the right side. I first chose the price level then it's first listed section. I punched in a random number like 300. The section went away, so I tried 250 and it appeared again then I punched in 275 and It went away, so then I tried numbers from 250 on up so lets say by the time I hit 262 and it goes away on that number, then you know there is 261 tickets left in that section.

Here is a break down of how many Seat tickets they have left based on the capacity of Rice Eccles Stadium being 46,500 since day 2. I am not counting GA/Field tickets because I do not know how many were put up for sale.

Day 2 9,618

Day 3 9,181

Day 4 8,914

Therefore they have sold 37,586 Seat tickets.
The seats are 80.8% sold out.

is SLC a pretty small market?

i have the feeling this is going to be a great show!

Salt Lake City has a population of 181,698 but including the metro area it is 1.1 million. For them to already sell over 40,000 tickets in the first 4 days is awesome considering this is not a huge market. This is my first show in Utah and I've heard the crowds for Utah have been great. I can't wait for the concert!

Salt Lake City has a population of 181,698 but including the metro area it is 1.1 million. For them to already sell over 40,000 tickets in the first 4 days is awesome considering this is not a huge market. This is my first show in Utah and I've heard the crowds for Utah have been great. I can't wait for the concert!

The metro area (Wasatch Front) from Ogden to Provo is actually just over 2 million now, still not a huge market, but getting bigger. It ranked 31st largest TV market in 2010.

I would say that Utah has a higher than avg U2 fan per capita as well. The radio stations here have always been very U2 friendly, there is a huge college population (5 big Universities) relative to the total population, and U2 music seems to resonate with Mormon culture for whatever reason. U2 has always been very popular here.

Also, U2 didn't come from 1983 (War Tour) to 1997 (PopMart) and there were alway rumors that they had been booed off stage early in their careers here and vowed never to come back to SLC, which added to the mystic of the band...until they actually did come back.

So having sold 40,000 tickets already is good, but not surprising. As has been mentioned, PopMart in SLC was one of the few shows on the US tour to sellout, and tickets for Elevation and Vertigo were all gone within minutes.

Should be a great show.

Also, U2 didn't come from 1983 (War Tour) to 1997 (PopMart) and there were alway rumors that they had been booed off stage early in their careers here and vowed never to come back to SLC, which added to the mystic of the band...until they actually did come back.

That rumor was debunked long ago by fans who actually attended that SLC War Tour show, but it still pops up:

U2 Salt Lake City, 1983-06-03, Salt Palace Assembly Hall, War Tour - U2 on tour

Bono gave props to SLC during his Q&A at the Sundance Film Festival in 2008 during the "U23D" premiere:

"This might be the night to actually kiss the Salt Lake ass. It is well known that Salt Lake is a very, very sophisticated music city, in general. They played our music before a lot of people, there are some great radio stations here, and it's a very cool place and we will be in Salt Lake next year"

YouTube - U2 3D Sundance Premiere ENTIRE Q&A

Back
Top Bottom