Rose Bowl Show to be filmed for DVD + Webcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I Am with Galeongirl in my frustration at the realisation of another US tour dvd. Europe has twice the population of the US, yet, it only has One official tour DVD release to chronicle their 30 odd years in existence. Considering they are european, i find it quite strange.
However, I dont agree with Gg's statement about all the cool stuff only happens in the US. Back when NLOTH was released, U2@ the BBC was a week long stint of appearing on TV, radio etc. Plus, there was the Sheffield Live broadcast....As well as other stuff that appeared on UK TV along the way.
Well, that's the UK. Ok sure you got a point there. But that's just one piece, it's like U2 would appear in one state in the Us or something like that. During Vertigo they went to Germany for performances and interiviews, to France, Italy, even Holland if my memory serves me well. I'd love it if they did a global promo tour, not just English speaking countries as it happened on this tour.

All this bitching about the audience of dvd shows is pretty stupid.

Red Rocks = Wet, soggy half empty crowd + U2 on FIRE = great dvd
R&H = What crowd? + Unbelievable Performances = Great dvd
ZooTV = What Crowd? + Great staging and show = Great DVD (Could be better performance)
PopMart = What Crowd? + Fair Performance = Decent
Boston = Hamlish + shit crowd + shit performance = Shit
Slane = Great Crowd - Boston audience + Home town show for U2 = Great DVD
Chicago Vertigo - Early in the Tour + hamlish + shit crowd = Still decent vertigo dvd
U23D + GREAT CROWD + HUGE SCREEN + BAND ON FIRE = GREAT

So to me, the dvd's have little to nothing to do with the crowd and everything to do with HOW DECENT THE BAND IS. Maybe the ONE exception is U23D where the audience was MUCH more part of the show than a normal dvd...

Well, it's been said by many people that the band performance partly depends on the crowd. Why was U2 so awesome at Slane? Because the crowd was awesome and it was a hometown show. That just combined into awesomeness, same with U23D(sans the hometown ofcourse). I won't disagree with you on Boston since you said it well, but I really do not like Chicago either. It just doesn't capture the energy of the Vertigo tour like Milan did.

Ofcourse it may have been because it was early on the tour, but then the argument about not having a dvd on this tour's first leg is quite nulled as well. And Hamish has a big part in the shittyness as well.

Excellent, we haven't had a decent turf war since the Aust/NZ Vertigo shows got cancelled and all us Aussies were derided as selfish bastards more interested in our lost airfares than the welfare of a sick child. Oh those were the days....

(the above post is dripping in sarcasm, for the non-comprehending out there...) ;)

:tsk: I still think you guys are selfish bastards. How else would Edge pay his yacht if it wasn't for your (twice paid) money?

I wonder if this means u2torrents is going to allow the captures video stream to be uploaded, or just audience recordings of this show.

Anything will be allowed up until we have an official announcement about a release...so youtube captures, soundboard audio, IEM, audience recordings, all are a "go" (for now).

Does anyone know what time the Rose Bowl show will be broadcasted on the East Coast? And how do we get to the show, will it be on youtube, or do we have to type something in. Any details would be great.

:lol: Wow that's one messed up Streets intro!

I love the awesome quality we're getting these days.

Though it does proves my point a bit. Look at 2.14 and 5.14, the people totally up front are rocking out while the back lines of the pit are all just standing there. Wtf people, this is Streets! Then after people in seats are only taking photographs, nobody's moving at all. THAT is what I mean with stale crowds!

Is it just me or does Bono's voice sound a bit shot? What's Adam wearing, new outfit? :ohmy: Nice arms! /plebamoment

Though it does proves my point a bit. Look at 2.14 and 5.14, the people totally up front are rocking out while the back lines of the pit are all just standing there. Wtf people, this is Streets! Then after people in seats are only taking photographs, nobody's moving at all. THAT is what I mean with stale crowds!

There are youtube videos from Europe that show the same thing. I think the differences are overblown. U2 filmed the Crazy Tonight/Blackberry commercial in Chicago, so obviously they don't feel there's a big difference. Yes, Bono did work the crowd there for the ad, and he can do the same for a dvd. Ironically, the Streets video was filmed in LA, and the crowd for that looks pretty good to me.

U2 filmed the Crazy Tonight/Blackberry commercial in Chicago, so obviously they don't feel there's a big difference.

I thought the commercial was filmed the 2nd night in Barcelona. That's been the only night they played the album version live on tour.

I thought the commercial was filmed the 2nd night in Barcelona. That's been the only night they played the album version live on tour.

That's correct. Otherwise, quite interesting how I saw that video in Paris while U2 was there in July.

And I don't think you can compare a surprise video shoot from 1987 to concerts now. Different situation, different crowd.

It's also a business decision on what to release. "U2 in LA" will sell a lot better than "U2 in Budapest" or something, at least in the US.

Ok -I stand corrected on that. But Bono still had to work the crowd :wink:.

It's also a business decision on what to release. "U2 in LA" will sell a lot better than "U2 in Budapest" or something, at least in the US.

Ok -I stand corrected on that. But Bono still had to work the crowd :wink:.

And U2 in Budapest would sell better in the EU. Also, I doubt U2 need to do an obvious location to have shitloads of dvd sales anyway.

My money's on the name being "U2 Live at the Rose Bowl" instead of "U2 Live in L.A." ... the Rose Bowl is the crown jewel of mega-American football stadiums. It's hosted Super Bowl championships, and it hosts college football's annual "Rose Bowl" game, which is known as "the granddaddy of them all." For Americans, the connotation of the term "Rose Bowl" connects to the idea of BIG -- which is what this tour is all about.

All this bitching about the audience of dvd shows is pretty stupid.

Red Rocks = Wet, soggy half empty crowd + U2 on FIRE = great dvd
R&H = What crowd? + Unbelievable Performances = Great dvd
ZooTV = What Crowd? + Great staging and show = Great DVD (Could be better performance)
PopMart = What Crowd? + Fair Performance = Decent
Boston = Hamlish + shit crowd + shit performance = Shit
Slane = Great Crowd - Boston audience + Home town show for U2 = Great DVD
Chicago Vertigo - Early in the Tour + hamlish + shit crowd = Still decent vertigo dvd
U23D + GREAT CROWD + HUGE SCREEN + BAND ON FIRE = GREAT

So to me, the dvd's have little to nothing to do with the crowd and everything to do with HOW DECENT THE BAND IS. Maybe the ONE exception is U23D where the audience was MUCH more part of the show than a normal dvd...

I think U2 feeds off a great crowd. Slane is a perfect example. I also think that maybe most of the directors of their DVDs don't necessarily capture the crowds well * (ie, every show except Red rocks and Slane) though I enjoy Sydney and Mexico for the good footage from the director and I liked some of the angles Hamilton tried (overhead shot of Edge or Larry or the way he shot the last three songs and Running to stand still on Chicago DVD)
Another factor is how well rehearsed they are. Good thing they seemed to have stopped with the bad idea of filming on the first leg.

* Not having seen U23D though I have seen S. American Popmart and Vertigo shows on unofficial DVDs and those are indeed great audiences.

BTW what did you think of Milan ?

I don't think a DVD necessarily captures crowd energy anyway. People seem to think Boston was lame, and I disagree (having been in attendance). Yes, they had the sit-down protest in the pit, but few in the arena noticed (I didn't). Of the 40+ shows I've seen around the globe, that concert is in my top 5, and I had crap seats. The energy during Streets was incredible (they announced ahead of time that it was going to be broadcast live during the NBA finals half-time).

While there is no doubt that Slane looked incredible, you can tell there is some creative editing in the DVD. During streets, they constantly recycle shots of the crowd from the song's intro throughout the entire song.

My money's on the name being "U2 Live at the Rose Bowl" instead of "U2 Live in L.A." ... the Rose Bowl is the crown jewel of mega-American football stadiums. It's hosted Super Bowl championships, and it hosts college football's annual "Rose Bowl" game, which is known as "the granddaddy of them all." For Americans, the connotation of the term "Rose Bowl" connects to the idea of BIG -- which is what this tour is all about.

I think you're right. It's as picturesque a stadium as I've seen. It will look amazing on that DVD.

As for this:

So this is a typical US crowd? It seems like the people in the back are more into it than the inner circle LOL. I really, really hope LA will do it better but I have my doubts...

I think the change in GA policy will help the LA crowd more so than others. The past two tours they let a ton of "VIPs" into the pit, I stood next to the Entourage boys and saw John Cusack during Vertigo. Now that they have the Red Zone for that, you should see the hard core fans in GA. Also, I think that the pre-sales will also help, in that GA's were MUCH easier to get this time around.

I have faith in LA! :rockon:

Forget the crowd ... most people will not even be able to watch this live stream due to legal restrictions. We even won't be able to catch it on demand on You Tube later on. That sucks so much :| I hope there will still be a way to get this.

Forget the crowd ... most people will not even be able to watch this live stream due to legal restrictions. We even won't be able to catch it on demand on You Tube later on. That sucks so much :| I hope there will still be a way to get this.

It's probably better this way. I mean now those who hate those crappy US audiences won't suffer the torture of having to watch a complete live show filmed here. Seriously, you all should be jumping for joy. :)

Back
Top Bottom