Rolling Stone: U2 to play stadiums in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jon_lemire

Acrobat
Apologies if this has already been posted, but there's a blurb in the new Rolling Stone (the one that has Taylor Swift on the cover and has the NLOTH review) that says U2 WILL be playing stadiums in the US this time around.

It's in the magazine's "On the Road section" (page 23) and is headlined "U2 to Rock Stadiums Across US This Summer." The transcription:

"After selling out countless arenas this decade, U2 are heading outdoors this year with their first US stadium tour since 1997's Popmart. The band members, who will release No Line on the Horizon on March 3rd, haven't yet announced dates for the tour or details about what they'll play.

But they're already planning an innovative setup that will allow for seating to be built around the entire stage, which will be moved closer to the center of the field than is typical. "It's an engineering marvel," says Bono, adding that the band wants to maximize space in the enormous venues to accomodate the the many young fans it has made this decade with this such as Vertigo. "We're going outdoors to meet that audience."

eeww. My condolences to those who are planning to see them this time around. :(
:hug:

Yeah I am not a fan of stadiums. I remember when I saw them on the JT tour it was at a stadium. We waited alllll day in line and ended up getting really smashed in GA even before U2 came on and had to move far back just to breathe. It can be really dangerous, especially in a huge stadium like that. I distinctly remember a girl being carried away on a stretcher. :sigh: Guess I will be getting seats.

I echo the sentiments of many of you, Sicy, one4U2, WHA, martha... I don't mind GA if it's in an arena. Stadiums... I dunno. Only if Carlos will take care of me :pray: :wink:

This does mean that more tickets will be available, am I right? So that's a good thing, at least. More U2 for everybody!!!

I've never been to a stadium show.. GA sounds very iffy, but how is the experience in the seats?

I've never been to a stadium show.. GA sounds very iffy, but how is the experience in the seats?

Far away from the stage :sigh:

Well we'll see what the word is when we get more info. Depends on how they have everything set up I guess. And since they're supposedly landing in spaceship, maybe the stage will be in the middle of the floor (more room to land ;) )

This does mean that more tickets will be available, am I right? So that's a good thing, at least. More U2 for everybody!!!
Yeah, but it also means having to line up earlier. It also means outdoor shows in (probably) shitty weather. And it means fewer shows.

Not good news, in my opinion.

I don't think there will be GA for a stadium... usually just floor seats... but maybe they will bring there own really cool stadium style seats to the floor... now that would be cool... i the seats were part of the stage...

How cool would be be if U2 played in the center of the stadium al the stage went off in all sort of directions and all these great pockets of seats...

In a perfect world they'd be playing a 12 night series of shows on my fucking balcony.

I'd obviously prefer arenas to stadiums, but, I'm just happy that they are touring and I get to see them a few more times.

GA would be cool. That is way I'm going to go, but if your not in the front it is like your 100 yards away

Lila, I can put you on my shoulders....but then you'll be like 15 feet high.

You can scout and report back to the rest of us what they look like, and whether that smoke we're smelling is in fact Edge being on fire :lmao:

I'm having doubts as to whether they'll do GA this time around. If they do, I predict it won't be for the whole field. Springsteen has a GA section right up front, then seated sections behind it. The first time I saw U2 was in a stadium for Popmart, and while the visuals were amazing, I was on the second level and the band were the size of those little green army men. Bigger sound, bigger visuals, bigger capacity, sure, but I think fans are really going to miss the intimacy of arena shows.

I also think based on other acts of U2's caliber that it's realistic for us to expect $100 GA tickets this time, which means paying twice as more to line up really early, pack in with tons of people whose emotions are running high, only to be further away from the stage. I've had some of the best concert experiences of my life in GA, but when people get restless, cranky, and pushy, especially in stadiums, GA sucks :(

I love stadium shows. The atmosphere is more festive and energetic. People are going to get pushed...it's a rock concert.

Stadium shows are all right if you only see a couple of them.

If you want to see U2 many more times on this tour, however, stadiums will get old really fast.

But, at least tickets will be easy to get.

That is so disappointing, I was really hoping for an arena tour again. Stadium shows are just so big...and the idea of having a whole stadium full of people on my back rather than just an arena is worrisome. I did Hawaii, but the GA looked like too much to handle for me.

For SoCal, we have the Coliseum in LA, The Rose Bowl in Pasadena and probably Dodger stadium.
Dammit.

Although, I have seen a concert with the stage is in the middle and it wasn't half bad.
But still, I am slightly dissapointed.

Bah. I'd prefer to be up close to the band AND able to soak in all of the atmosphere. It was great to be front row GA in Auckland and be 4 feet from Adam....but Bono, Edge, and Larry were 20-30 feet from us, and the "atmosphere" of the stadium experience was all behind us.

But yes, I'm happy to be able to see them again. This could explain why the presale seems to be occurring again---it'd be pretty easy to ensure tickets for members.

Back
Top Bottom